New ToH/Netkas 9.2.0 Kernel

Sabr

87 posts in this topic

I know it's a couple of days old, but I only just found out about the latest Netkas kernel. Apparently it fixes shutdown and reboot, so finally no more holding down the power button to turn off! (Can be found on Netkas' blog)

Yeah, I have it installed and it works great. Shutdown and Restart work, and even though the kernel doesn't have sleep functionality built into it, sleep still (partially) works in ACPI S1 mode.

ok I got this too but how do I install it , it keeps giving me directory not found anyone pls

Copy over the mach_kernel file you downloaded to the Desktop. Then run these commands from Terminal (Applications/Utilities):

sudo -s
[enter password]
cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.vanilla
cp -r ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

Close terminal and reboot

Mine works too! sleep works with mine too but apparently all my external drive log out when i sleep cause when i wake up all drive remount and device not bla bla bla error. ohh and safari quits

Copy over the mach_kernel file you downloaded to the Desktop. Then run these commands from Terminal (Applications/Utilities):

sudo -s
[enter password]
cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.vanilla
cp -r ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

Close terminal and reboot

You need to repair permissions too.

On my P35C-DS3R, it breaks S3 sleep(black screen on wake), but fixes shutdown/reboot. S1 sleep results in the HD/CPU/RAM shutting off, but the case stays on, as well as the graphics card.

Hmm, what's the meaning of PC_EFI if we still have to use a modified kernel?

You can use unmodified kernel extensions. You can also have a GUID partition table too.

You can use unmodified kernel extensions. You can also have a GUID partition table too.

Ok, I guess it's good to have a second partition where you can try new updates. If it stops working you just boot with the other and fix the broken one from there.

2 things:

1: When installing, do you extract the Mach_kernel from the .zip file before doing the steps ~pcwiz stated?

2: How can you tell what kernel you have? I upgraded to 10.5.2, and I upgraded my Kernel, so I assume I have 9.20, but I think it would be useful if I knew a way to double check. Thank you!

2 things:

1: When installing, do you extract the Mach_kernel from the .zip file before doing the steps ~pcwiz stated?

2: How can you tell what kernel you have? I upgraded to 10.5.2, and I upgraded my Kernel, so I assume I have 9.20, but I think it would be useful if I knew a way to double check. Thank you!

1 when you dl the kernel, it is uncompressed automatically ( check your garbage, there is the .zip, and in the downloads folder is the mach_kernel

2 : in the teminal, quote uname -a and you should see wich kernel version U have .

( also in about this mac , software )