How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 1G with FW 2.2

Ninja9

32 posts in this topic

How to Jailbreak iPhone/iPod Touch with FW 2.2 (1G only):

1. Go to website below and follow instructions to jailbreak and pwn your iPod touch 1G only! (2G iPod Touch is still in development)

http://www.ipodtouchscene.com/Jailbreaking...ng-Quickpwn-2-2

Props to DEV-Team!

http://blog.iphone-dev.org

HAVE FUN!

[This method is current as of posting Jan. 2009]

------------------------------------------------

OLD method(s) below for historical purposes:

Jailbreak for any version: 8GB, 16GB or 32GB plus get January Apps:

Edit: UPDATED Guide 4/07/08: Ziphone 3.0 was recently released and it is now fully working with all versions of the iPod touch.

Ziphone 3.0 is now the quickest and easiest method. I suggest you try that first.

New features:

- No more need to fix nvram!

- Solution for GREYED wifi!

- No need for YouTube Fixes!

- Embedded apps installer!

- Customized plugins !

Credit to Zibri

--------------------------------

I encountered some problems with Ziphone 2.6b freezing and here's how I fixed it:

Put iPod in Recovery mode (see #2 below) and Restore to 1.1.4 using iTunes. Then jailbreak using Ziphone 2.6b. If all goes well the jailbreak should only take about 45 seconds. Close Ziphone.

If you really need a tutorial on how to do this easy method look here for a step-by-step walk through.

Before you do anything else, go into contacts and press "+" choose name, then type some gibberish on the keyboard for about 10 seconds. Then press Cancel instead of the Home button. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me!

Then add: http://applerepo.com to Sources to get the January Apps! Done! Easy as pie!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older Method (which still contains useful info) below:

Requirements:

Wi-Fi access

Apple iPod 1.1.1 firmware http://tinyurl.com/2lbdsm

Apple iPod 1.1.2 firmware http://tinyurl.com/2gpkdr

JAVA must be installed http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=18713

Conceited Software 1.1.2 JB http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/1.1.2-jailbreak.zip

Notes:

This is confirmed working on Windows XP SP2 with iTunes 7.6 with my iPod Touch 16GB.

In theory, this will for for the new 32GB version also.

After much searching and many failed attempts and much :wacko: frustration, I decide to write this guide because this method worked best for me and is stable.

As always, your results may vary.

If you are getting BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0 errors due to attempting other jailbreak methods look here for fix: http://tinyurl.com/yvtzea]

Also, iBrickr did not work for me. Hence, my guide below.

This should take about 30mins to 2 hours. 3+hours if you get nervous :blink:

P.S. I tried to make this NoOb proof as much as possible.

First, download and save files to your desktop or somewhere easy to find and install Java if you haven't already.

:police: MANY PROBLEMS CAN BE AVOIDED BY FOLLOWING THE GUIDE CAREFULLY. STEP BY STEP.

Guide:

1. Open iTunes. Connect iPod via USB cable.

2. Put iPod in Restore mode by holding power/home at same time until it turns off by itself. Release power button (top button) and keep holding home (circle button) until iTunes says that it detected an iPod in Recovery mode.

3. Shift click Restore. Downgrade firmware by selecting 1.1.1 firmware that you downloaded earlier. Set up as new iPod, then cancel sync.

4. Go to http://jailbreakme.com on iPod Touch via Safari. Scroll to bottom and select Install App Snap!

5. Let it refresh, then set Autolock to NEVER under Settings>General> Autolock

6. Tap installer. It should update automatically, if not touch sources, then refresh. Install any update first. Then install the following:

a. System>BSD Subsystem.

b. Sources>Community Sources

c. Then back to System>Open SSH

d. Tweaks 1.1.1> OKtoprep

7. Careful here! Go to iTunes Shift click UPDATE and select 1.1.2 firmware. (Restore will wipe out changes OKtoprep made!)

Once it is done, if iTunes asks you to set up or restore your iPod then you pressed Restore by mistake and need to start over from step 1.

8. Run Conceited software 1.1.2 jailbreak (requires JAVA to work!) select install SSH checkbox.

9. Repeat steps 6a-c

10. Now to update to 1.1.3: Tap Installer, Sources, Edit and Add: http://ipodtouchmaster.com/files/repo.xml

11. Make sure Autolock is set to NEVER [VERY IMPORTANT!!!]

12. Now tap installer>Mobile Jailbreak>1.1.3 Jailbreak+iPhone Apps…and wait… be patient....

(this step takes anywhere from 15 mins up to 1+ hours depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi connection.)

13. Install mail fix under iPhone 1.1.3 apps

14. Enjoy your FULLY working jailbroken iPod touch with Mail, Notes, Google maps, Weather and Stocks!!

Afterwards:

If you are having problems installing apps in 1.1.3 you need to install BOSS TOOLS and choose Move Fonts. This will change your free space from 4Mb to about 80Mb out of 279Mb on the small partition.

Check out http://ipodtouchmaster.com for more helpful info/videos and how to install other apps/games, etc!

If I forgot anything/did anything wrong please let me know (this is my first guide.) Good luck!

Please provide your feedback and I will update this guide as needed. Thanks!

how about ziphone 2.5 ?....have not had a chance to try jet,...did upgrade to 1.1.4had to install itunes 7.6.1 and new quicktime, for the default apps, had to pay $20 through itunes store,...
Ziphone 2.5 was just released today. I have not had a chance to test it. Can anyone confirm if Ziphone 2.5 works with a 16Gb or 32Gb touch??
Ok, I tried this method with my 1.1.3 before upgrading and it wouldn't let me downgrade. Then I tried ziphone and almost screwed it over. Know why it won't revert back?
I know this may sound strange, but you need to first put your iPod in Recovery mode. Then upgrade to the current version (1.1.4.) Then start the whole process all over again from step 1. Don't skip any steps. Follow my guide carefully and you shouldn't have any problems. :)

Thanks for the guide. I found I had to use iPhuc to downgrade the firmware from 1.1.4 to 1.1.1 but that eventually worked ok. I have previously tried Ziphone 2.5 but found it gave me the familiar BSD error (seems to happen with 16GB iPods). I was able to use your guide very effectively till I tried to upgrade to 1.1.3, at which stage the upgrade failed twice, breaking Installer on both occasions.

The upgrade takes a very long time (as it predicts), at some stage autolock seems to get turned back on (in fact factory settings seem to be restored). When I unlock the iPod my WIFI connection has been lost (and the WPA key actually needs to be reentered - so that seems to be broken in the process). By then the process has failed and I have been forced to restore to 1.1.1 and start over.

Having done that twice now I don't understand what is happening and am beginning to think I am just too old for this ;( Any ideas?

When I unlock the iPod my WIFI connection has been lost (and the WPA key actually needs to be reentered - so that seems to be broken in the process). By then the process has failed and I have been forced to restore to 1.1.1 and start over.

Having done that twice now I don't understand what is happening and am beginning to think I am just too old for this ;( Any ideas?

You MUST set Autolock to NEVER before you start step 12 or you will have this problem. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I can't tell you how many times I tried before getting everything right!

I know this may sound strange, but you need to first put your iPod in Recovery mode. Then upgrade to the current version (1.1.4.) Then start the whole process all over again from step 1. Don't skip any steps. Follow my guide carefully and you shouldn't have any problems. ;)

Yeah, that's what I did. I went to put in the 1.1.1 Firmware and it gives me this error and DCs my iPod. I redownloaded and check the file for corruption, it was fine. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just tried it again, the same error "Unknown error (1)". And I just found a guide telling me a slightly older image should restore (says there is problems with ones bought after December, figures I got the hardest one to jailbreak...) I'll try it and see how it goes.

EDIT: Yeah, I finally realized that DFU is different than Recovery mode (my bad). I'm working on it now, did 1.1.1, messed up with 1.1.2 so I'm redoing it (hit restore instead of update :)). One more thing, if I bought the apps and I upgrade to 1.1.4, will they all still be intact?

You MUST set Autolock to NEVER before you start step 12 or you will have this problem. :wacko:

If it makes you feel any better, I can't tell you how many times I tried before getting everything right!

I am ABSOLUTELY certain I set autolock to never before starting step 12. I am certain of this as I was going to suggest that you put that earlier in the procedure because when I did 6a for the first time, autolock engaged and interupted the download. It seems that when I try to do 12, at some stage (and I have not actually been watching when it happens but it is quite some time after the upgrade starts) settings are returned to factory default (I am guessing this is what happens) thus turning autolock back on, loosing the WPA key (and thus the WIFI connection) as well as resetting brightness amongst other things. Is this possible?

Re the error "Unknown error (1)" problem: this is why I had to use iPhuc. It was necesssary in my case to copy WTF.s5l8900xall.RELEASE.dfu from the unzipped iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw to the iPod before it would allow me to downgrade to ANY earlier firmware. I only had to do this once and it fixed that issue.

Wipeout: I believe I saw in one of the videos on Youtube that the guy had knowingly lost his $20 upgrade when he demonstrated he could downgrade to 1.1.1 and could not get it back: another reason for NOT BUYING that "upgrade"!

I noticed that the Package in my installer>Mobile Jailbreak> is actually called 1.1.3 Jailbreak+iPhone Apps. I assume this is the same package you are refering to and that I have not tried to install the wrong one? :wacko: Also, there is a 1.1.4 upgrade in that same source which I could not get to work either. I wonder if there is some sort of problem with my WIFI router?

I believe the problem may have to do with the location from which the procedure attempts to download iPod1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw being either wrong or mostly inaccessible. It tries several times (hence the long wait) fails and aborts which causes the iPod to crash damaging various things in the process. The location may become accessible from time to time which would account for some people having succeeded after many tries. It may however be wrong but the ipsw is downloadable from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/co...02_Restore.ipsw .

I have it but am uncertain what to do with it. :P

Thanks for the guide...at some stage autolock seems to get turned back on (in fact factory settings seem to be restored). When I unlock the iPod my WIFI connection has been lost (and the WPA key actually needs to be reentered - so that seems to be broken in the process). By then the process has failed and I have been forced to restore to 1.1.1 and start over.

I recommend you don't upgrade to 1.1.4 until a reliable method becomes available. There is no rush to upgrade (it is supposedly only minor bug fixes) if you have a fully working 1.1.3. :)

As far as the WIFI problems you are having: I would try to run this procedure with an unsecured network. It is possible the WPA key is throwing it off or causing you to loose you connection. Let me know how it goes....

I recommend you don't upgrade to 1.1.4 until a reliable method becomes available. There is no rush to upgrade (it is supposedly only minor bug fixes) if you have a fully working 1.1.3. :P

As far as the WIFI problems you are having: I would try to run this procedure with an unsecured network. It is possible the WPA key is throwing it off or causing you to loose you connection. Let me know how it goes....

Thanks for the help Ninja9. I've got 1.1.2 working very nicely now and given the trouble so far getting to 1.1.3 relative to what I can see it offering, I think I will wait for a while before having another go. I still think there is a problem with the script - I found one that ran in terminal mode and watched it hang when it could not access the ipsw download site. There probably is some way of playing with that but it could become a source of obsession. :D

The experience has been extremely useful anyway as I learned heaps about how the Touch works and am now having fun exploring it with things like mobilefinder, WinSCP etc. Your guide was the easiest to follow that I came across - so thanks again.

Think Mark: I have tried ZiPhone and always encountered the famous BSD error. The consensus is that it does not work with the 16GB Touch and definitely not with the 32GB.

It is almost certainly not the WIFI connection: I have just installed the Wikipedia app which includes the 2GB Wikipedia database and takes 2 hours to SSH to the Touch. Went as smooth as a baby's ..... with WPA enabled. :D Killer app incidently!

ZiPhone is a relably method for jailbreaking, but i don't know about 16GB & 32GB.
ZiPhone method is only reliable for 8Gb touch. It has been reported to only work sometimes for 16GB version. It usually results in the BSD errors as I stated above. :)
The best way is the way I've written, and there's even an option to go to 1.1.4.
Your guide is virtually identical to mine, expect for a bunch of unnecessary steps. Wish I had seen it earlier. My guide also has an option to upgrade to 1.1.4 via Mobile Jailbreak (requires a jailbroken 1.1.2). BUT, I don't mention it because this is a soft upgrade and I don't prefer that ATM and I haven't tested it yet.
in your explanation step #8 you guide us to select install SSH checkbox, and i would like to ask you what is the benefit of the SSH icon?
Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged over a secure channel between two computers. Encryption provides confidentiality and integrity of data. SSH uses public-key cryptography to authenticate the remote computer and allow the remote computer to authenticate the user, if necessary. SSH is typically used to log into a remote machine and execute commands, but it also supports tunneling, forwarding arbitrary TCP ports and X11 connections; it can transfer files using the associated SFTP or SCP protocols.

When in doubt, Google or Wikipedia is your friend! :)

i wonder if anyone can help with this, got my ipod in january, and recently upgraded to 1.1.4 before i found out i can do a jailbreak and install other software on it

managed to follow the process to downgrade to a 1.1.1, but now it wont connect to my wifi, if i upgrade it again, i can connect via wifi, but when i downgrade to 1.1.1 again, still wont connect, which means i cant go to jailbreakme.com in 1.1.1 mode :(

Your guide is virtually identical to mine, expect for a bunch of unnecessary steps. Wish I had seen it earlier. My guide also has an option to upgrade to 1.1.4 via Mobile Jailbreak (requires a jailbroken 1.1.2). BUT, I don't mention it because this is a soft upgrade and I don't prefer that ATM and I haven't tested it yet.

No step in my guide is unnecessary. I have never met anyone who has used my guide and said that it doesn't work.

No step in my guide is unnecessary. I have never met anyone who has used my guide and said that it doesn't work.

I never said it doesn't work. Your like a 2 year old... mine is better than yours...blah blah blah....

Flamer :o

Post something constructive or go away.

I never said it doesn't work. Your like a 2 year old... mine is better than yours...blah blah blah....

Flamer :)

Post something constructive or go away.

If I recall correctly, you're the one who claimed that my guide has unnecessary steps, implying that your guide was better than mine. I believe I am justified in calling you a hypocrite.

If I recall correctly, you're the one who claimed that my guide has unnecessary steps, implying that your guide was better than mine. I believe I am justified in calling you a hypocrite.

Apparently you suffer from short term memory problems. You after all, came here (from your first post) to boast that your method was the best. Why did you do that if you aren't a flamer? Flamer.... with a superority complex. You felt is necessary to one up me. If you method is SOO great why not create your own guide and post elsewhere.... Anyways, enough of this back and forth nonsense. That is all I have to say on the matter. Why are you lurking in my thread anyways???? If I could ban you I would, you troll. But thanks for making my guide #1!

My personal favorite method of jailbreaking my 16GB iTouch. :)

cbreak2nb7.png

Wow! ThXS Colonel!! That's finger lick'in good! :D

P.S. I've been a long time lurker here at Insanely Mac and thought I would give a little something back.

B.T.W. I'll be building my Hackintosh soon!