Flashing the iMac with a PC Bios should work now.

Spanky Deluxe

10 posts in this topic

If someone can find a PC Bios for a board that's compatible to the Intel iMac and also a Bios for the X1600 (mobile GPU) then flashing the machine should allow Windows XP to install.

The reason I suggest this now is that 10.4.4 can now be installed on a machine with a standard BIOS thanks to it being cracked. I wouldn't really want to try this myself but I'm just throwing it out there as something that's actually worth considering now.

Edit: The best bet of finding a compatible BIOS would be to extract one from a non-Apple Core Duo laptop. It looks like the iMac uses Intel's 945GM Express chipset.

Edit 2: The BIOS file for the Dell Inspiron e1705 could work, its a core duo based laptop comparable to the iMac and MacBook Pro. Bios available here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...1&fileid=151062

A BIOS is only compatible if it is built for the exact hardware. My MSI 945G can't be flashed with another BIOS for yet another motherboard with the same chipset you know... I'd not risk it unless you want to lose it all.

It's not that simple - believe me if it was it would have been done already there are plenty of knowledgable people working on this and with a cash prize to boot it would have happened. The only way to get windows booting will be modifying/extending apple's own EFI implementation but theres already a massive thread on that.

Just my assumption, but even if you were able to flash the board with a PC BIOS, you would essentially be at the point where most PC users are now. That is, you can boot windows comfortably (most likely, this wouldn't even be possible because you need UGA support), but wouldn't be able to install 10.4.4 because you've essentially removed what makes 10.4.4 boot on Intel Macs.

Like 0uch!p0tat0 said, it's just not that easy...

do you mean OSX 10.4.x on the 8204?

i have not tried anything yet cuz I am out of the country on business and really cant afford down time, nor do I really have the time to muck around

Honestly though I am not all that interested in putting OSX on it... until adobe is native I'll be sharing time between linux and windoze

I really wanted a mbpro, but I guess now ill be waiting for a 17 or someting in a few months