Mac crashed during Partition. Help!

Syzyx

8 posts in this topic

I've decided to try out bootcamp to get a better feel of Windows on my mac.

Upon running Boot Camp Assistant, I chose to make a 15GB partition, which made my Mac OS X partition have 30GB of free space left. I went ahead with it, but then once it was near completion, it crashed, and box popped up telling me to restart the computer.

Once I recovered, I reloaded Boot Camp Assistant, and it makes me start from the beginning, and I have 30GB of free space.

This tells me that it made a partition with nothing in it, and I cannot see it from Disk Utility.

BTW. I am sort of new to Macs, so any help would be appreciated.

I experienced exactly the same problem. I'm not familiar enough with OSX nor do I own partitioning software. The only logical option for me was to repartition the drive back and restore my files. Luckily, I was using Time Machine... maybe not the most flexible backup scheme in the universe but certainly the most convenient!

It was a simple matter of booting from the OSX disk, plugging in my external Time Machine drive, and selecting restore from the tools menu. It worked like a charm. It repartitioned the drive to the full size and restored everything as it was the last time Time Machine backed up.

The second time I tried the boot camp repartition, it worked fine. When I installed Boot Camp on another Mac, the very same thing happened. Nice. 2 out of 4. Hmmm...Is this product from Cupertino or Redmond?.... I'm confused.

Stupid thing is I have VMware Fusion sitting on my shelf. While the performance impact of running Windows XP along side OSX wasn't much... I didn't dare try Vista. Maybe I should have!

Thanks aduffbrew for your info :).

Now, also I'm not familiar with most Mac things, but when you say you used time machine, have you had time machine set up before this happened?

Because I'm wondering...(not familiar with Time Machine!) If I hook up a portable hdd to my Mac, back all my files/apps and stuff over to it, and restoring my drive, it'll work good. (perhaps this is exactly what you said!)

Nonetheless, I'd still like a little more info from anybody, just to get the whole slate of things.

I'm not sure if I had the same issue, but it sounds familiar to me. Here's what I did. After I tried partitioning the hard disk with teh BootCamp Assistant which crasehd Disk Utility showed up 11GB less of space available on my Mac HD, but there was no BootCamp partition. So I restarted with the OS X Install DVD inside, ran Disk Utility, repaired the drive and everything was fine again. The next time I ran the BootCamp Assiatant to partition the drive it successfully did its job. I hope this helps.

Yes that does help actually. It kind of clears up some things I recently found out...

I did the same thing you did: boot up with Mac OS X CD and ran the Disk Utility. I'll say it again, I'm not familiar with Mac stuff too too much (windows user until last october), but I can catch on quickly.

I wasn't so sure if "Repair Disk" meant erase or revert to factory settings, blablabla...But I was sure that it just meant to fix it. I don't get too technical with the hardware of computers, I just like things that work without me doing anything ;)

But once I ran Disk Utility, I repaired the disk (crossed my fingers), and I ended up stopping it out of paranioa. But to my amazement, it gave back 15GB of space - the exact same size that it screwed me out of. Then I tried to redo the bootcamp thing, and it did the EXACT same thing as before: crashed during partition.

So I think it's safe for me to tell myself that booting from CD to repair the disk (fully) will fix my woes.

I'll post back if it does it again...Or if it works.

I did a full repair on the disk, and it still crashed...It looks like it hates my hdd...

I have run another repair disk and repair permissions, and it still doesn't change it. I also got Disk Warrior and ran that too, and still nothing...

Newer Update!!!

I got it working...Let me explain it to you.

I searched other apple forums and such, and my problem seems to be uniform throughout the 10.5.2 update. I learned that my problem produced a Kernel Panic (KP), causing me to force restart. But that's away from the point. The main solution would be to re-format the drive and start from scratch. Although, after every KP I had, I had to run Disk Utility from CD and get back the rogue partition. There were people claiming it to work after using a program like iDefrag to defragment the drive, but that did not work for me.

I ended up running Disk Utility from CD, and resize my main drive to more than what I planned on using for my windows partition (I wanted a 15GB windows partition, so I resize my HD from 148GB to 120GB, for example). Once that is done, I resized it back to the full capacity (148GB), and ran Boot Camp again.

This proved effective, because it basically erases the little bit of drive (sort of like formatting part of the drive), and Boot Camp worked perfectly.

Thanks to all who helped me in this quest.