10.4.4 Security Broken

Swad

161 posts in this topic

I am looking at the patch contents, and have read Maxxuss's notes. It appears that if you have SSE3, PAE, NX, then you only need to replace the mach_kernel with the Maxxuss' provided one. The replace.sh script will only replace files if you have an SSE2 CPU. In the past, some oah files had to be replaced, but it doesn't look like this is necessary if you have SSE3. Did I read this correctly?

Phineas

No, you haven't understood the script. The SSE check is in a function which is never called. I guess Maxxuss used a standard script and put the file copy - which is vital - into it.

Updates @ maxxuss site

Additional Kernel Patches

I'm working on them. For a start, here's the No-XD/NX patch as a PPF file, along with the patcher software. It is required if your CPU has no support for the XD/NX feature ("No-Execute"). Apply the patch the to supplied mach_kernel file in the Base Patch archive.

He has provided installation instructions for the patch too. :D

[edited by hagar]

I have installed osx on a spare hard drive yesterday by installing basesystem.pkg,esstentials.pkg...etc etc

then found our hero Maxxuss had patches out again

Question here is now that I have a complete osx installation that still requires EFI to boot can I just change a couple of files on this hard drive to make it work or do I have to repeat the whole process?

I hope Maxxuss is investigating 10.4.5 to see if it breaks his hacks.

I hope Maxxuss gets some serious play from the ladies tonight, whether he's at home in the triple-C P (yes I know they now call it Russia) or not. He deserves it after fighting in the name of technological and intellectual freedom. Buck yeah! Finally a finalized version of OS X for everyone!

Let me be the umpteenth person to say congrats for an excellent job Maxxuss. I owe you a beer some time!

I'll have to give this baby a whirl sometime in the next couple of days. I'm curious as to how things stack up to 10.4.3, in terms of device support, stability and other new fixes/features. More graphics drivers would be nice, as always. Of course, as with most initial releases, I'd expect there to be some stability issues within Maxxuss' patches. Nevertheless, nice to see it working, and happy OSX-ing all!

:)

Well let me be the first to say, Why does it not bother anyone that what is being done is illegal?

Hasn't anyone ever created something that they thought had some value? Would you want someone to come along and just take it from you without your asking and being paid something for your time?

'Tis amazing that everyone wants something for free. Regardless of whether the person who created it wants to sell it or keep it.

Someday you too will find something taken from you and you'll have no grounds for being upset.

Well let me be the first to say, Why does it not bother anyone that what is being done is illegal?

Hasn't anyone ever created something that they thought had some value? Would you want someone to come along and just take it from you without your asking and being paid something for your time?

'Tis amazing that everyone wants something for free. Regardless of whether the person who created it wants to sell it or keep it.

Someday you too will find something taken from you and you'll have no grounds for being upset.

i never wanted to reach through my computer and smack someone more than when i read this.

if apple released os x made for pcs i would buy it as im sure many others here would. but they dont, so this is our only choice.

I would buy it IN A HEARTBEAT.

I REFUSE to buy overpriced, unupgradable Apple hardware.

I have spent more money with Apple in the last month then I have in all my life.

I bought a keyboard, usb interface and microphone for Garageband.

I bought a 60gb iPod.

I bought a 20.1" Apple display.

They would have never gotten a dime from me if Maxxuss didn't release these patches.

First, I hope you have never photocopied pages from a book without paying royalties and don't have mp3s or software you haven't bought, etc otherwise you'd be a hypocrite. I understand what you're saying, but if this wasn't cracked, I wouldn't buy a mac anyways (in the near future), so Apple is losing nothing from me. Regarding things being taken away from me, it's already happened. Civil liberties, my right to make backup copies of DVDs, right to return buggy software...what about those rights I had?

I don't even really need OS X, but what I like is using software/hardware in ways it wasn't intended to be used. I like seeing talented people like Maxxus, reverse engineers and coders overcome challenges. I'm not defending or justifying illegal actions, I'm just stating how I see things.

I feel bad for Mac, but does any of us care about Windows? Bill Gates? and their consiparacies to make more and more money?

Has anyone actually installed this yet? If so does the 10.4.5 update break the install? Also is it required to burn this image to dual layer media. Is possible to get rid of some stuff to fit it onto a single layer DVD?

So many questions? I can not wait.

Did you visited our forum just to say this...? I've seen better ways to make a good impression on a 1st post.

Keep reading, learning, experimenting and helping.

Interesting points, rameeti. It certainly does bother some that it's illegal - this has been discussed quite a bit here, and I'd suggest using one of the other threads for that discussion. Let's keep this one about the topic at hand, shall we? :)

Atm, Maxxuss stated that this was just a quickie release to get people going. Unless your going to do some form of hacking with it, I wouldn't bother trying to work it yet, until a more user-friendy install method comes along later this week. If you haven't noticed already, it's not as easy as popping in your DVD and installing so far.

And to answer a previous question, many (or most, if not all?) people are not getting it to boot much further than a blue screen (a la, the Macintel build, for those who remeber). I believe people said an error along the lines of "bad system call" was the culprit. Though this is just off memory, so check the 10.4.4 thread on Win2osx for a bit more detail.

OK, please please correct me if I'm wrong, but from a non-technical standpoint this 10.4.4 patch as it stands merely bypasses/disables some of the encrypted system elements of 10.4.4 and tricks the OS into using the already-decrypted elements of 10.4.3 instead? (I know the actual process is much more complex, but I'm trying to keep things simple).

In other words, no one has yet decrypted any encrypted portions of 10.4.4 yet? Just disabled them?

I know this is a lame-o question, but Steve Jobs wanted me to ask. :)

EDIT: Oh, and to clarify, I know that some people have said that MAXUSS has "decrypted" some binaries in 10.4.4, but I'm wondering if they're just reworked 10.4.3 binaries. Because if they were truly decrypted, why wouldn't 10.4.4 be working as well as 10.4.3 then?