10.4.4 Security Broken

Swad

161 posts in this topic

I have a gut feeling that Apple wants OSX on non-Apple hardware they just don't want to have to deal with Microsoft.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I don't believe that Apple is vain enough to believe that their OS can't be cracked. I don't think they're going to make a huge fuss over white-box macs, but at the same time I don't believe that they will ever release OSX for non-macs because they don't want to have the trouble of trying to support every piece of hardware under the sun the way Microsoft does with Windows.

Glorious Maxxus! You are great! :D;)

Are you also working on nVidia kext to get the video driver working? Or is this now supported in 10.4.4? Anyway, great work!

I think Apple might be sort rooting on us in the background. Can you imagine, they start slowly getting market share from Microsoft by people like us installing it on our machines? They then release 10.5 with all the great bells and whistles and make it really impossible for us to upgrade to. It will force some of us to actually buy the Mac OS which by that time should have taken a big chunk from Microsoft. Sort of like when the CIA fed crack to the ghettos in the 70's :happymac:

It's not the first time Steve Jobs does something like this. I believe he recently did this with the iPod g5 where he said it supports video but didn't give us an easy way to put the video in it. There is talk now of a Video iPod in the works. They were waiting to see how a video supporting iPod would first be accepted before going all out. I bet the guy (Steve) uses the hacker community (like our friends Maxxus and MacVidia), as well as the PC savvy folks like us, as guinny pigs before making a major release. I can easily see a Universal Mac OS X, installable on all PCs within 2 years. Could Apple be waiting until after everybody adopts and upgrades to EFI enabled PCs before releasing that Mac OS? Just a thought people.

also the little comment about Apple’s best attempts to secureing their OS on their Hardware, Are we sure they just didn't want this to happen, I mean they even added that little "Please don't Steal" message. They knew it was going to happen. I have a gut feeling that Apple wants OSX on non-Apple hardware they just don't want to have to deal with Microsoft.

I don't think so. It's very interesting that many people who don't even know how to build a kext think that it would be easy to crack a whole OS. If you have ever read some of the posts from our developers like in the 10.4.4 Progress threat on win2osx you should know that in comparison to 10.4.4 cracking 10.4.3 has been a joke. For example this Version (10.4.4) uses encrypted binaries, LaGrange and not to forget EFI to name a few things.

I honor Maxxus for his incredible work once more. He is a real genius in what he's doing. I also want to mention the hard work of others like Pianoman and his companions who were also working on a solution to get 10.4.4 running (and hopefully are still on it).

I'm sure Apple does, in their opinion, the best to protect their OS. They proberly know that might be cracked once more, but rethink what would have happend if we didn't have such great fellows like JaS, Maxxus, Pianoman, wesley to name a few (they are much more but to name some).

Everybody is doing a great job and will hopefully, if Apple doesn't shut us done this time, continue to do so.

Just a few thoughts of mine.

(Sorry for my english ;) )

Manfred

WOW! i knew this would happen sooner or later.

Great job maxxus!!!!! you are the man.

JaS, wesley we know you are out there, can you help us please to do a patcher using this files, we know that you guys are the right people for the job.

you guys are geniuses ;)

Will we need the patch if our CPU already supports SSE3? If we do apply the patch would be lose SSE3 functionality?

Does it require an EFI motherboard?

Is this a VMware only install? I'd like to do a native install straight from the disc onto it's own hard drive.

Does 10.4.4 comes with Nvidia drivers? If I can run at 1600x1200 and play WoW i'm switching to OSX.

First if you have a question to a threat READ IT!

The first post mentions this threat 10.4.4 Technical discussion

Will we need the patch if our CPU already supports SSE3? If we do apply the patch would be lose SSE3 functionality?

You won't lose SSE3. It is necassary to run 10.4.4 and use all it's features.

No, you only need an working 10.4.3 platform

Is this a VMware only install? I'd like to do a native install straight from the disc onto it's own hard drive.

Native install only through 10.4.3. VMware won't work.

Does 10.4.4 comes with Nvidia drivers? If I can run at 1600x1200 and play WoW i'm switching to OSX.

It has got nvidia drivers but they will not work.

I doubt they have all of that information already available, wasn't it just done extremely recent? Give them some time. Patience will get us what we want eventually :D

I am looking at the patch contents, and have read Maxxuss's notes. It appears that if you have SSE3, PAE, NX, then you only need to replace the mach_kernel with the Maxxuss' provided one. The replace.sh script will only replace files if you have an SSE2 CPU. In the past, some oah files had to be replaced, but it doesn't look like this is necessary if you have SSE3. Did I read this correctly?

Phineas

I've just got back home and whaoooooo!!! Good news!!! The 10.4.4 patch is ready!

Great Maxxuss you are a Genius! You deserve a Gold medal! :D

Ok now I have a question

after converting OS X x86 10.4.4 restore.dmg to a .ISO and apply this patch, I have to burn to a DL DVD wish is not a problem for me but can I burn it and install Natively or do I need to wait a boot loader patch also?

I have all requirement needed

I just need to know if we can boot that OS X x86 10.4.4 restore.iso after all before waste a DL media

Thanks very much!

I am looking at the patch contents, and have read Maxxuss's notes. It appears that if you have SSE3, PAE, NX, then you only need to replace the mach_kernel with the Maxxuss' provided one. The replace.sh script will only replace files if you have an SSE2 CPU. In the past, some oah files had to be replaced, but it doesn't look like this is necessary if you have SSE3. Did I read this correctly?

Phineas

This is from maxxuss website

The archive contains:

* A modified mach_kernel system file (can boot under SSE2; required for VMWare),

* A AppleSMBIOS kernel extension replacement (only required for VMWare),

* Most importantly, the decrypted system files along with an installation shell script.

So have you tried the replace.sh file and told you that you don't need the SSE2 files?

Weird maxxuss website says that the decrypted system files are the most important :D

I don't think Apple has put all her efforts in this. I think that the next OS release 10.5 will be the one that is "unhackable".

You must be the most naive person on Earth. Saying 10.5 will be "unhackable" is like stating the Earth is flat.

If something can be done, there is a way to undo it.

nice too bad i just sold my x86 box. intel macs still arent ready for primetime, at least in a production environment. ill stick with my ibook and dualcore powermac for now untill adobe gets their heads outa their azzes and releases a universal binary.

awesome work tho maxxus. i think people are still more concerned about dual booting a intel mac, as you just cannot beat mac hardware design and usability.. especially having everything just work.