Leo HTPC & TV-OUT?

osxgus

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I built a Leo HTPC!

What I am really missing is a solution on how to get the same

VGA output that I get on the projector on the TV set.

I don't know if I need to just get a VGA splitter + a "VGA to Composite" cable,

or if I need to get another Graphics Card (PCI x16) that can sort it out.

Is there a cheap Passive Cooled Graphic Card that can do VGA and TV out (mirror) on Leo??

I have also tried with the ASUS Nvidia 7300GT but it didn't work properly. It gave an output,

but it was sort of garbled. I used it with the Nvinject pack on the kalyway DVD.

If I could get some sort of media extender card that could just do perfect native tvout for Leo,

that would be great.

If you're building a leo htpc please let me know your experiences.

antec-fusion.jpg

Specs:

- Antec Fusion v2 case (silver)

- Intel D945GTP MicroATX with Onboard GMA950 (from my old hackintosh)

- Pentium D930 (3GhZ)

- 2x 1GB OCZ

- 160GB samsung SATA

- LG DVD

- WLAN ASUS WL-138G V2 PCI Card (OOTB detected as Airport in Leo)

Accessories:

- Logitech Mac RF Keyboard/Lasermouse (white)

- HP vp6220 1024x768 DLP Projector

- Standard CRT 32" widescreen TV (Daewoo)

Other accessories, not yet hooked up:

- Kayspan IR reciever (the built in Antec IR from iMon doesn't work in OSX)

- Apple Remote

Installed and working:

- Kalyway 10.5.1 (non vanilla with Guid EFI) *working*

- XBMC for OSX (well, i am missing downmix for AC3/DTS sound, so no HD/720p for me yet =( )

- SABnzbd with portforward & dyndns *working*

Next Tasks:

- Internally hook up the keyspan IR receiver to work with Apple Remote (mira, ired or remote buddy?)

- Install Antec's OSX-VFD with fix from BigBadOwl (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83598)

- Install Growl

- Install SABnzbd (br41n.com) fix to work with Growl

cheers

:(

Gus

Hi osxgus!

I have the exact same plans, Antec Fusion 430 with XBMC!

Then I finally can get rid of my old xbox =)

Still trying to sort out if my planned mobo will work with Leo.

Please report experiences with the VFD!

Im all new to Osx and ir-sensors, do you know if it's possible to get the iMon sensor to work with a universal remote?

How is the connection made/does it recognize it?

Thanks!!

Waiting for the Intel E8400 to get in stock in Europe...

HI Zeba,

the issues i am having are mostly due to the fact that i don't have a working digital out audio on the mobo (causes issues with AC3/DTS filez in XBMC)

I am not sure about the iMon IR, if it can be made to work or not, to be honest i haven't experimented enough,

since i got a cheap keyspan ir reciever anyway. if you have any idea that i could try with it, please let me know and i will

tell you the results..

the knob doesn't work for volume though, and i don't know if can be made to work.

the vfd sort of works with big bad owl's solution, but to be honest i am thinking of disconnecting it.

i already removed the cable for the power button light cause it was too bright and annoying.. .

i will write again tomorrow.. with more details on HW and XBMC.. gotta get some sleep now.

:unsure:

cheers,

Gus

Hi again Zeba,

Under further inspection i saw that the iMon IR Reciever is in fact detected by OSX.

It's listed as a "Logitech reciever", so it might in fact work, but i need to see when i have the apple remote (should get it today/tomorrow). I am going to install logitech harmony remote software tonight and see if it helps.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/440/3898&cl=us,en

I wonder if the knob can be used though.. i will have a look in some linux / antec fusion forum..

have managed to get XBMC working pretty well now.. except for DTS/AC3 (need mixdown) it's doing pretty good.

Gus

• 5 months later...
Hi again Zeba,

Under further inspection i saw that the iMon IR Reciever is in fact detected by OSX.

It's listed as a "Logitech reciever", so it might in fact work, but i need to see when i have the apple remote (should get it today/tomorrow). I am going to install logitech harmony remote software tonight and see if it helps.

Did you masnage to get the Antec IR Reciever to work? I am running Vanilla 10.5.4 and I don't have a clue on what to do to get it to work in OS X. I can't see it at all in the OS. How do I install the drivers?