8800GS working in dell 530

mikeyd

5 posts in this topic

bought a 8800GS from newegg, installed it in my Dell 530 with kalyway 10.5.2 + video update. No image. Then used NVinstaller (vanilla, 256mb) and it works fine, QE accelleration, correct memory noted (384, I think). pretty happy with it.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
bought a 8800GS from newegg, installed it in my Dell 530 with kalyway 10.5.2 + video update. No image. Then used NVinstaller (vanilla, 256mb) and it works fine, QE accelleration, correct memory noted (384, I think). pretty happy with it.

Mike

I just noticed those came down to the $150 range! Did you get the XFX or eVGA one? (both are 384MB / 192-bit)

Mike

**UPDATE** Got mine today, and it works! I used NVinstaller v0.33 (w/NVinject 0.2.1) and selected the Vanilla / 256MB option. However, I am only seeing 256MB of the total 384MB recognized in System Profiler. Right now, this is no big deal, since the 8800GS has 96 stream processors @ 550+ MHz and shaders @ 1300+ MHz - there are not really any Mac OSX games out yet that need this level of graphics power.

I got the EVGA GeForce 8800GS, which is the same as the XFX one except for the GPU clock being 30MHz slower and the RAM clock being 200MHz higher. I wanted the big fan design of the EVGA vs the smaller fan on the XFX one. Plus, I heard that EVGA used 1.0ns RAM where XFX used slower chips.

Kalyway 10.5.1 plus NVinstaller v.33 (vanilla option)

with EVGA 8800GS HW accelerated, CI/QE working, recognized as "unknown Nvidia"

BOOSH!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...