Formatting partition to HFS+ in Windows

Eyen

10 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've searched on the internet for software that allows formatting a partition to HFS+ under Windows. None of the Acronis, Norton and Paragon software able to do it, MacDrive can format only entire hard-disk. I came upon MacDisk, but I'm afraid to use its master since I don't know whether it allows to format only selected hard-disk partition to HFS+.

I know there's Disk Utility and LiveCD but I set myself as an object to find a solution that works in Windows.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

Just one question... why...?
To prepare partition for Hackintosh easier, without headache with for instance LiveCD which I don't have at hand.

I wrote e-mail to MacDisk developers:

Whether MacDisk allows formatting an allotted partition (created in say Acronis) to HFS+ without damaging other logical disks? E.g. I have 2 partitions on my hard-drive: one is NTFS, the other is FAT32. I would like to convert FAT32 to HFS+ without touching anything on NTFS.
to which I got following reply:
No. I heard that the latest Apple disk partitioning scheme allows such hybrid schemes but could not find enough time to know what really happens. MacDisk always formats the whole disk (if needed with several partitions, but all together).
I just can't understand what is so difficult in the implementation of this issue? So if anyone has the solution for Windows, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a pain in arse to:

[1] format a partition to FAT32/Logical in Acronis (in my case OSX didn't allow its installation onto Primary partition)

[2] boot Darwin and format FAT32 to HFS+ using Disk Utility

[3] finally again boot into Windows/Acronis to convert HFS+/Logical to HFS+/Primary – as OSX ends up with "HFS+ partition error" unless you make Logical -> Primary

I just don't have LiveCD and I tried to find an easiest way, but had to go the toughest. Anyhow OSX is working. Many thanks to everyone. :(