GeForce 9600 GT

Cowboy Mike

257 posts in this topic

Aww That Sux I just purchased this card a minute ago.. :) I guess Ill try and call newegg and see if I could modify my order before it ships.

Edit:

Nope contacted newegg the order is already processed (Just order like an hour ago those guys are quick :-D) so I would either have to

1.order a new GPU and return this one when it comes

2.wait until I get the refund then get a new one

3. Wait until one of our talented coders write a kext for it

I guess Ill decide when I get the stuff lol no biggie Ill just hang around in Vista land for a few weeks if necessary.

Same problem...

My eyes are bleeding when i see 1024x786 on 16:10 display. Can someone tell me how fix resolution? I dont ask for CI\QE, i just want to see lovely 1440x900...

Thanks.

lol obviously you haven't been keeping up with the topic. you gonna have to wait until it's supported/

You may be interested to know that the Graphics Mode kernel parameter works for seting the resolution. I am running 1600x1200x32 with no problems.

Add the folloing to your boot plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32</string>

Higher resolutions are possible but I find them too small. To see what else is available type the following at the Darwin boot prompt: ?video

Unfortunately QE/3D acceleration is not supported without a driver but at least now I have a usable resolution.

Well I am running in vesa mode as well (1920x1200x32) however I cant do anything beside browse the net..

No video is working (Every app crashes.. VLC/Mplayer etc...) So I guess I am back to my ubuntu till this is fixed.

You may be interested to know that the Graphics Mode kernel parameter works for seting the resolution. I am running 1600x1200x32 with no problems.

Add the folloing to your boot plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32</string>

Higher resolutions are possible but I find them too small. To see what else is available type the following at the Darwin boot prompt: ?video

Unfortunately QE/3D acceleration is not supported without a driver but at least now I have a usable resolution.

Could you plz explain how can I change the boot plist? I can't boot into osx with the 9600 inside, only with the x1600. Or can I do it in Darwin? I just want to know how. Thx.

wow, return your cards already and get something supported by OSX. an 8800GT is not only faster than a 9600GT but it should be the same price.

you guys really need to do your research before buying something and expecting OSX to support it. all you're doing is causing yourself a headache, nobody will get this to work with OSX because there are so many other faster/cheaper cards that are out there and have been out there this entire time.

this card will work once apple adds g94 support and so far it hasnt made it in 10.5.3.

wow, return your cards already and get something supported by OSX. an 8800GT is not only faster than a 9600GT but it should be the same price.

you guys really need to do your research before buying something and expecting OSX to support it. all you're doing is causing yourself a headache, nobody will get this to work with OSX because there are so many other faster/cheaper cards that are out there and have been out there this entire time.

this card will work once apple adds g94 support and so far it hasnt made it in 10.5.3.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!! How about posting again when you have something constructive or better yet relevant to the topic.

Sure, i'll post again. Return your card and get a g92 based GPU. the existing drivers will not work with a g94 core until apple decides to add drivers.

Sg, you're not helpful. Everybody knows that if they want to use the 9600 they'll have to wait. In my situation, i went in to buy an 8800, and the salesman talked me up to the 9600. It wasn't till i got home i remembered reading that it wasn't yet supported, so i checked here to confirm. I will be exchanging mine today, but that doesn't mean everybody should if they're content to wait for the driver support. Like supermx3 said, not everybody buys hardware explicitly for OSX86.

Sg, you're not helpful. Everybody knows that if they want to use the 9600 they'll have to wait. In my situation, i went in to buy an 8800, and the salesman talked me up to the 9600. It wasn't till i got home i remembered reading that it wasn't yet supported, so i checked here to confirm. I will be exchanging mine today, but that doesn't mean everybody should if they're content to wait for the driver support. Like supermx3 said, not everybody buys hardware explicitly for OSX86.

plus this is a hackintosh forum. if you're gonna buy hardware explicitly for osx, then you might as well go buy a mac. i'll wait for the support. it's not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

10.5.3 Beta seeds don't include any 9600 support : final 10.5.3 won't either for sure so your best bet is to wait for 10.5.4 (!).

That's simply why there are no NEWS.

People will for sure try on 10.5.3 FINAL, but i'm 100% positive they won't add it, else Apple would already have included 9600 support on current 10.5.3 seeds.

can you please try those kexts http://rapidshare.com/files/103256449/9d10.zip.html ? Don't bother with the OpenGL.Framework, it's corrupted but at least if it works you'll have resolution change / framebuffer working for sure.

If it works then we'll see for QE/CI. Make sure you added your product id/vendor id in the nvdanv50hal.kext as netkas says in his post.

Thank you very much cyclonefr!

I've just upgraded my system with an ECS N9600GT-512MX-P (Fanless, Equipped with Arctic Cooling System). And the system froze when I booted the system for the first time. Then I stumbled upon this post and made it work with your help, but WITHOUT QE/CI hardware acceleration :unsure: for now until Apple issues an official driver.

Here's what I've done step by step:

-Unzipped all the files to a usb key from that archive above.

-Booted in single user mode and made it writable:

Press F8 during boot and type -s

Type : /sbin/fsck -fy

Type : /sbin/mount -uw /

-Copied them in "Extensions" folder and changed their attributes:

Type : cp -R /Volumes/USBKEY/* /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/

Type : chown root:wheel /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/*

Type : chmod root:wheel /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/*

-Edited NVDANV50Hal.kext's Info.plist:

Type : vi /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Content/Info.plist

Go down to this line, press i and edit the string:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x062210de</string>

Press Escape, type :wq

-Removed Natit.kext (it wasn't necessary for me to add NVinject.kext either):

Type : rm -rf /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

-Removed Extensions.mkext:

Type : rm -rf /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

-Rebooted:

Type : reboot

During reboot, press F8 and type -f to force load the new kexts.

Et voilà! Your default display will be 1024x768 though.

If you want to change this to whatever, say 1920x1200, you can't just do it in "System Preferences".

You have to add the following key and string to "Boot.plist":

-Open a "Terminal" window and type :

sudo -s

"your admin password"

vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Press i and add:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

Press Escape, type :wq

-Type : reboot

That's all! You have a "working" hackintosh with 9600GT but you can't take advantage of all the hardware accelarations this mid-range beast has. We all pray for Apple to release a driver soon for this G94 core.

Sorry, I really can't help you there as I don't use any graphic-heavy applications on this Hackintosh, just Internet browsing and Webpage editing with Dreamweaver CS3.

Upgrading from a GeForce 6200SE TC - 64MB, everything's faster on this system with a Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 - 17" 1280x1024.

yeah 10.4.10 doesn't even have G92 support so... for sure no G94... we are sure Leopard still doesn't either (maybe 10.5.3 but i doubt it).

Hmm use NVInject, it should be fine... People are reporting it breaks QE/CI on 10.5.3, but at least framebuffer (rez change) is working so... If you can't even change your resolution then don't bother trying something else than NVInject.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Snow Leopard supports the 9600 GT and has 32 bit video drivers (I have yet to have this confirmed: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112263). I tried replacing the GeForce* kexts and NV* kexts, and the OpenGL framework with the versions on the SnowLeopard DVD. With the new OpenGL framework, the Login Window now opens by default and crashes if I type in my password (I can't get past that screen and with 10.5.3 it never even presented itself.) I then restored the old GL framework but still no success in identifying the card and now GeForce.kext doesn't load. I've tried editing the NVDANV50Hal.kext Info.plist for the card and also tried installing NVinject 0.2.1 to no avail. Is there more to this than just replacing the kexts, or am I doomed to failure?

so, i was looking at the info.plist files of the NVDANV50Hal.kext...and there's a line that's only consisted of:

<string>????</string>

what about that?

also, moving along to everything that's more important, I've got VMWare Workstation running right now, and i've got my OSx86 10.4.8 install DVD running, i'm not going to install over my partition yet, but i'm going to try to hop into terminal and run:

Type : [b]cp -R /Volumes/USBKEY/* /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/[/b] 
  Type : [b]chown root:wheel /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/*[/b]
  Type : [b]chmod root:wheel /Volumes/LEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/*[/b]

i used wordpad to modify the info.plist of NVDANV50Hal.kext to add the device ID, and then used TransMac to transfer the files over.

I've almost finished repairing the permissions on my drive, i will try booting from it at a later time. just good to know i can access the partition through the DVD again (lets just hope my VMWare Workstation install doesn't break again (would crash upon starting a virtual machine constantly in the past).

in trying to boot in VMWare Workstation, i get an error about SCSI not being enabled for 64bit guests (did not not OSx86 was 64bit).

will keep wrestling, but that one line of the script at the top of this post, the question marks...that's what might be causing a problem.