Force screen resolution

hidepp

15 posts in this topic

I'm using OSx86 on a Pentium D (MoBo Asus P5PE-VM, Intel 865G Chipset).

The only resolution that appears on screen settings is 1024x768@60hz. I want to set it 1152x864@75Hz, but "System Preferences" don't allow.

What can I do to solve this?

EDIT: I'm using Leopard 10.5.1

try this :

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

and after line with boot time, insert this :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1152x864x32</string>

save with ctrl+x, press "y" and enter.

Elsewhere i`ve read that it should be "1152x864x32@75" so...

But...

To be honest - it never worked for me, but some people claim that it`s working for them, so give it a try, maybe it will help. (If Your system wont boot after that edit, will reset or give black screen, boot with -s and undo the changes )

try this :

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

and after line with boot time, insert this :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

save with ctrl+x, press "y" and enter.

Elsewhere i`ve read that it should be "1152x864x32@75" so...

But...

To be honest - it never worked for me, but some people claim that it`s working for them, so give it a try, maybe it will help. (If Your system wont boot after that edit, will reset or give black screen, boot with -s and undo the changes )

how exactly do you do this?

i opened a terminal window

and once i get to this part and press enter

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

i get this

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

• 1 year later...
I tried "Graphics Mode" on Darwin, it works... But if I specify the refresh rate, it reboots. Is anything wrong with "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85"?

The exact same thing happens to me. Im trying to force 1440x900x32@60, and tried 70 too, but if i specify the refresh rate, the computer simply reboots.

If i leaver it at 1440x900x32, i get some 4:3 resolution, slightly bigger than 1024x768 or w/e, but its still not 1440x900 for some reason. :s

PS EVERYONE: i found a program called DisplayConfigX that supposedly forces mac to load any resolution/refresh rate combo you specify. it hasnt worked for me, but maybe it will for someone else.

Wow, way to revive a nearly two year old thread! <_<

In most cases when you don't have resolutions available, it's due to lack of EDID info. That means that OSX has no idea what the display is you've got hooked up. If you look at the last few pages of the stickied X3100 topic, I explain how to get your EDID and use a display override. That should get you all available resolutions.

The exact same thing happens to me. Im trying to force 1440x900x32@60, and tried 70 too, but if i specify the refresh rate, the computer simply reboots.

If i leaver it at 1440x900x32, i get some 4:3 resolution, slightly bigger than 1024x768 or w/e, but its still not 1440x900 for some reason. :s

PS EVERYONE: i found a program called DisplayConfigX that supposedly forces mac to load any resolution/refresh rate combo you specify. it hasnt worked for me, but maybe it will for someone else.

haha no way! i didnt even notice the date! how in the world did i find this thread??

anyways, thank you very much! i will do this asap once i get home!

also, in display preferences (or something similar, im sorry, im not at the computer in question right now) my video card and driver version reads "<null>". might this have an impact on the problem as well?

edit: um, im sorry, but im not seeing any x3100 sticky. "x3100" in the title?

• 1 month later...

I REALLY need help with screen resolution...I'm running a Dell Inspiron (1545? 1520? It's black...so I think 1545) with integrated graphics. I'm using iDeneb 1.6 OSX 10.5.8. On my first install I actually got the resolution to what it should be (1366x768) by editing the com.apple.boot.plist file to include the <script or whatever>Graphics Mode</script whatever><key>1366x768x32</key>

That was with Chameleon 2 RC2 or 3 or 4...not sure now. If I do the same thing now, it doesn't work. I'm stuck at a terrible screen resolution that's not even the proper ratio. I've tried tons of GMA kexts, other fixes, etc and never noticed a single difference. (And the first time it worked I had problems with wifi, so I reinstalled but forgot how I got the resolution to work)

So I've tried just about everything....I think maybe if I could get Chameleon 2 RC4? Maybe that's what I had the first time. Now I have RC2. I don't know how to update, though...I'm a pretty big noob.

If anyone can help me I'd be really appreciative...I can't believe I had it working perfectly and then I messed it up like an idiot and can't get it again....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SwitchResX only works if you've already got fully working graphics.

It's useful e.g. if you've got a 16:10 screen with 1680x1050 or something strange like that.

But first you've got to make OSx86 recognize your card correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I install iatkos s3 with charmeleon r4 and generated efi string for my graphic card and all i'ts ok but my screen resolution only allow 1024x768. I have a 18,5" monitor with a 1366x768 resolution.

- I try with modify boot.plist and add "Graphics Mode"="1366x768..." and not work (1280x1024 works! With this).

- I try Swicthresx and not work. Is another solution?

In system profile I can see the graphic model install ok.

My hardware:

Motherboard ASUS P5KPLAM-SE

Processor Intel Dual Core

GraphicCard NVIDIA GeForce 6500 256MB Pcie

Monitor ACER 193HQ

Thanks in advance

Regards

Jose Manuel

• 4 weeks later...

Nvidia cards need resolution dimensions to be divisible 8 (or was it 16?). Either way 1366 wide is out, try 1360x768. You will hardly notice the 3 pixel black borders down the sides. ;-)

That said, trying to get same res on my Sony Bravia TV (VGA connection), the simplified custom res settings on SwitchResX didn't work. I did a google for some ModeLines generated by the windows app PowerStrip and pasted them in (menu on little icon in bottom left of custom res screen). I'm almost there, mines just shunted a tiny bit too much to the right. Going to have to check out the old ModeLine I used on my old Xorg.conf off my old Linux drive, prior to me trying Hackintosh - that was spot on.