Linux ext3 and OSX hfs+ access?

Escape311

11 posts in this topic

Ok so now I am triple booting Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and OSX x86. My question is regarding the Linux ext3 and OSX hfs+ file systems talking to each other. In Ubuntu, I installed the hfs+ tools for accessing hfs+ partitions but that still doesn't work. Also when I boot OSX, it gives me an error about loading an invalid disk or something. Then asks if I want to ignore, which I do. Is there something else I need to do, to get these 2 disks to play nice? My Windows/OSX disks find each other just fine and dandy.

Thanks folks.

Ok so now I am triple booting Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and OSX x86. My question is regarding the Linux ext3 and OSX hfs+ file systems talking to each other. In Ubuntu, I installed the hfs+ tools for accessing hfs+ partitions but that still doesn't work. Also when I boot OSX, it gives me an error about loading an invalid disk or something. Then asks if I want to ignore, which I do. Is there something else I need to do, to get these 2 disks to play nice? My Windows/OSX disks find each other just fine and dandy.

Thanks folks.

I don't know about Ubuntu, but in SUSE 10 hfsplus is native to the kernel. You don't need hfs+ tools.

See this thread.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...3577&hl=hfsplus

I use Reiser not ext3, but I don't think anyone has gotten OSX to read either. My OS X ignores all the filesystems it can't read (ufs for BSD and Solaris, hpfs, and Reiser). Maybe its doing this because you tried to make it mount your Linux partition?

Try this to mount HFS+ partitions:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p...291&postcount=1

As for mounting Ext3, Mac OS doesn't come with drivers for Linux file systems. And since the drivers would have to be rewritten for Intel Macs, it's more-or-less impossible to mount Linux partitions on your Mac. As for the error, I just click Ignore.

• 2 months later...

I just love it when people use the word "impossible" when talking about what can and can't be done with an OS. Do a little research! A simple google search will return links to a wonderful little utility for OS X which allows you to mount and use EXT2/3 partitions. I use it extensively on my DVD-RAM drives which I use for backups on both my Linux and OS X machines.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

I don't know how good journaling support is for ext3, so I wouldn't use the driver on mission critical data, but for personal use it's probably fine, and hasn't given me any problems so far (knock on wood).

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

About read-write access to hfs from Linux Ubuntu:

This is quite simple I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn (and now update to 7.10 Gutsy Gibon) and it's natively supporting OSX filesystem (no need to install the hfs+ tools). At boot Ubuntu will mount the OSX partition in read only. However to be able to write on it it's necessary to disable the journaling. This is done from Mac OSX with Diskutil (available in Applications/Utilities). Then I updated my Linux fstab accordingly.

When searching the web with Google many topics explain this necessity to disable the journaling.

With other Linux distro it should be the same (HFS filesystem support is available as packages deb or rpm).

--

Jmp0