Ok, how about Q then?

56 posts in this topic

I've got XP running on the Mac now, thanks to dkelley's advice (I don't have any other versions of Windows. Actually-shouldn't say that-I've got Win98 but no boot disks. Anyways, Everything works fine, internet connection shared immediately with OSX; I didn't have to go through any setup it was just online as soon as I opened IE.

However, one issue still remains:

I cannot get it to read the CDROM drive or install things from it. Even on my thinkpad I cannot get it to launch a CD. With the Qemu Manager GUI I checked the boxes for "Use System CD" and under the drop down list chose my corresponding drive letter. However, when I'm in the Qemu virtual machine and I click on the CD drive from My Computer it always says "insert media into drive D". Doesn't matter what CD I put in.

Any advice for that issue? Thanks for they help you've already given!

Slow is relative :dev:

What's faster, a 386 thats always running, or a P4 that only runs an hour a day?

:D

-D

OT: that reminds me of an old joke; Which clock is more accurate, one that gains a minute every day, one that loses a minute every day, or one that is stopped? The one that is stopped, because it is absolutely accurate twice a day!

I've got XP running on the Mac now, thanks to dkelley's advice (I don't have any other versions of Windows. Actually-shouldn't say that-I've got Win98 but no boot disks. Anyways, Everything works fine, internet connection shared immediately with OSX; I didn't have to go through any setup it was just online as soon as I opened IE.

However, one issue still remains:

I cannot get it to read the CDROM drive or install things from it. Even on my thinkpad I cannot get it to launch a CD. With the Qemu Manager GUI I checked the boxes for "Use System CD" and under the drop down list chose my corresponding drive letter. However, when I'm in the Qemu virtual machine and I click on the CD drive from My Computer it always says "insert media into drive D". Doesn't matter what CD I put in.

Any advice for that issue? Thanks for they help you've already given!

According the the Q website, there are still some bugs, one being that the Windows XP install does not work. Not sure why. However, Q has a tool to convert from a Virtual PC 7 image. If you have access to another machine with VPC7 installed, you might try to install it there and then convert the image to work with Q. So basically bypass the install process.

Is it normal that the win2000 professional installation takes a few hours?

On what type of system? If it's PPC, that seems fast actually. Windows XP took 10 hours on my PowerMac G4. If it's an Intel system, that sounds about normal considering it's still in emulation. The Q Universal Binary is a test and does not incorporate virtualization yet. Once it does it will be much faster.

Try and keep in mind that it's not done yet and should not be used for anything outside of "tinkering" with really. The stable builds that follow will incorporate more reliable code that has been refined and tested more thoroughly.

=)

-John

On what type of system? If it's PPC, that seems fast actually. Windows XP took 10 hours on my PowerMac G4. If it's an Intel system, that sounds about normal considering it's still in emulation. The Q Universal Binary is a test and does not incorporate virtualization yet. Once it does it will be much faster.

Try and keep in mind that it's not done yet and should not be used for anything outside of "tinkering" with really. The stable builds that follow will incorporate more reliable code that has been refined and tested more thoroughly.

=)

-John

Thanks, it's not on a PPC Mac. I am currently installing it to my 10.4.5 Hackintosh. I want to run some simple windows applications that don't run under darwine. (Newsleecher with supersearch for example).

Thanks, it's not on a PPC Mac. I am currently installing it to my 10.4.5 Hackintosh. I want to run some simple windows applications that don't run under darwine. (Newsleecher with supersearch for example).

Yeah, that sounds about right then. Once it gets tweaked for virtualization it should be more like real time PC behavior.

How can I actually get the Win2k installation to start? I'm on a Macbook Pro and just downloaded the latest stable release from the website. I set up the guest PC, and when I actually go to run the guest PC, it just brings up that black window for a few seconds then closes it out. Nothing happens. Any ideas?

Never mind, just downloaded the latest unstable and it works

Just thought I would post my progress with Xp in Q

I presume you cannot take a screen cap with the keyboard on the Hackintosh?

Let's try this: Replace the Apple key with the Windows key. OS X is built to do this swap automatially, so you should be good.

Full screen cap: Apple Shift 3

Selective screen cap: Apple Shift 4

Window screen cap: Apple Shift 4 -- then press space bar

Also consider that you can get an Apple USB keyboard and play like the rest of us do. Perhaps eBay, or just get one new through Apple.

I still have the problem with my hackintosh. It keeps doing it, even with the latest unstable. Any ideas?

How can I actually get the Win2k installation to start? I'm on a Macbook Pro and just downloaded the latest stable release from the website. I set up the guest PC, and when I actually go to run the guest PC, it just brings up that black window for a few seconds then closes it out. Nothing happens. Any ideas?

Never mind, just downloaded the latest unstable and it works

you presume wrong,I can take one fine with my keyboard,I just don't.I Like using Grab

I was only asking because I wasn't sure. I have no issues with you. I was only curious as to whether it was possible or not.

I was only asking because I wasn't sure. I have no issues with you. I was only curious as to whether it was possible or not.

That is good to know.It must have been the wording of the post that I took the wrong way,sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you guys aught to know that the latest beta version is working and no more errors during WinXP SP2 setup. This is the furthest I have ever gotten her and it's now installing the drivers. I don't know if it's because of the new beta version or that I'm running on an nvidia card this time. Anyway, it should take about and hour and a half to finish, not including the updates that need to be installed. To the Q Team, great work and please keep it up.

Cheers

I think you guys aught to know that the latest beta version is working and no more errors during WinXP SP2 setup. This is the furthest I have ever gotten her and it's now installing the drivers. I don't know if it's because of the new beta version or that I'm running on an nvidia card this time. Anyway, it should take about and hour and a half to finish, not including the updates that need to be installed. To the Q Team, great work and please keep it up.

Cheers

The latest version's release note specifically mentioned about fixing both XP and 98 installation problems. As with your experience, I can confirm this, because I tried both Win98SE and WinXP SP2 installs and they both went without a hitch. After comparing performance I deleted the XP and now using 98 because the stuff I need to do works fine on 98. And I only needed 1GB disk image. :)

Now if they can get that virtualization kext's bugs ironed out, I'll be one very happy man.

Well it doesn't work for me. I got the same problem as Zorn, the black screen came and then promply disapeared.

Then I updated to the beta and screen stays up but I just get a 'Fatal error'.

Tried to import a Windows XP install from Virtual PC 7 but I get an error when I try to boot windows.

Trying to import Windows 95 for Virtual PC.

I'm on an iMac 1.87GHz Duo, 512MB RAM. Virtual PC files are from an old system.

EDIT: Got Windows 95 working, weeee! Now try and update it to 98...

They are on a good road and I wish them the best. It was nice running Kubuntu and WinXP, but my experience with the emulation wasn't as I expected. I think I'll run a non-QUI Linux distro and get some work done that way.

Post 47, Have you tried uninstalling and deleting all the plist before installing the new build? Do you get the same output when changing the Display perams in Q's preferences? It's hard to imagine that it works on a PC box and not on a MBP.

Edited by domino

It's hard to imagine that it works on a PC box and not on a MBP.[/color]

From my understanding and what I've read from the developer, many of Q's issues come from the GCC 4.0 conversion. The PC and Linux (and PowerPC) builds were all GCC 3.3, which does not play well on the Intel Mac.

So it's just a mater of time before they get it running the same, and then get that virtualizer kernel extension working.

Then it will be awesome. =) (more awesome than it is now.)

Thanks John. I'm really looking forward to that. I'm expecting my own Core Duo the end of the year. I'm betting that most of the application and hardware issues on the Intel platform will be solved by then. I have already compiled my own XP installer using nLite. I managed to get the installer to about 150mb and the whole XP install takes about 600mb. ActiveX, Java, and all hardware drivers compiled with the default XP CD is included. I can't wait for Q to get the virtualizer thingy working the way they want.