Ok, how about Q then?

56 posts in this topic

Mike Kronenberg has a new "unstable" build of Q, the MacOSX flavored QEMU ready to go, based on his own qemu pathces, and qemu patches and work of Gwenolé Beauchesne.

Check out the Q site @ http://kberg.ch/q for his official announcement.

He's working his ass off on this...remember that.

Its faster than (ugh) bochs. The only "benchmark" I have is the dos doom time demo. Its nearly 4x faster than say, a PowerbookG4 @ 2183 gametics in 808 realtics. Contrast with 900/1200

And yes, I have a screenshot :)

post-7165-1139860612_thumb.png

-D

Edit: Less exciting screenshot

I've been eyeing them for the past few weeks now. Things might have changed, but I posted a few days ago and they said that it didn't work on my system (see sig). Bummer, all i want to do is run a linux server on it. I don't need a window manager, which is that most ppl are complaing about.

On another note, I tried install fedora from one of those crappy shareware application like Q. Let's just say, it should be trashed.

I've been eyeing them for the past few weeks now. Things might have changed, but I posted a few days ago and they said that it didn't work on my system (see sig).

Oh... Um... That was me shooting you down then. :D Sorry, but when I answered you it wasn't Universal yet. Apparently it is now. Everything I said no longer applies. (Me = Egg on my face)

I'd give the new one a try. Now that it runs on Intel it *should* also run on your Intel box, provided it's 10.4.3 or higher. The original 10.4.1 builds won't run current Universal Binaries.

So far, it seems to run well, even though it is VERY beta still. I'm taking it over to our Intel iMac at 3:00... It's in such high demand we have to make appointments.

=)

On another note, I tried install fedora from one of those crappy shareware application like Q. Let's just say, it should be trashed.

I don't think this has ever applied to QEMU/The Q project...

-D

Don't forget to turn on OpenGL in Q Preferences :dev:

-D

Qemu is still not complete for OSX86, the QEMU Accelerator Module is still missing. Without this module, qemu is also slow in other OS like MS or Linux.

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html

I can't imagine how slow it will be. On my work system and linux, it runs Win2k (XP is slower, use Win2k on QEMU) slow enough and w/a bit of mouse lag even with the KQEMU module...it is fairly intolerable w/out the module.

I can't imagine how slow it will be. On my work system and linux, it runs Win2k (XP is slower, use Win2k on QEMU) slow enough and w/a bit of mouse lag even with the KQEMU module...it is fairly intolerable w/out the module.

Slow is relative ;)

What's faster, a 386 thats always running, or a P4 that only runs an hour a day?

:D

-D

See this post at MacNN - XP running on a Core Duo through Q.

The workaround:

Get the windows version of QEMU, and create a guest PC in that. You can then transfer that image to the Intel Mac, and it will work!! The main problem was that I only have an old Pentium 3 650 Mhz PC, and to install XP, it took... wait for it.... 9.5 hours!!!!!!! BUT, it was worth it, and I now have XP running on my Core Duo.

yes, that's how I installed win98 on q (through windows qemu) and got it running on my imac core duo. I copied the hardfile from windows to mac. WORKS!!

Just a note - I donated to the Q interface guy(s) (on the q link above) - he deserves it for coming up with a great user interface for Q. OSX is the easiest to use implementation of Qemu anywhere, and although installing oses under Q isn't too reliable yet, running them is excellent.

don't forget, they're only in alpha stage right now... give them some time to create a release version of Q for osx and it'll blow us all away.

don't forget, they're only in alpha stage right now... give them some time to create a release version of Q for osx and it'll blow us all away.

That's exactly what people need to keep in mind as they find problems. If you use it now, you are a beta tester. You are supposed to find the bugs and then report them. It's not a finished product yet.

=)

by the way, my install of windows 98 second edition on my imac core duo using q 606 runs perfectly, I mean really perfectly, windows update works perfectly, etc etc. Special note though - if you're installing windows 98 and don't have your original key handy and go grab one from the net like I always do (I have an original key, just don't know where it is any more after 8 years), when you install 98 on your windows version of qemu, disconnect your network cable when you come to the part where you enter your cd key. wait until the next screen comes up (after successful key install) then reconnect your network cable. surprisingly enough, windows 98 se actually checks the microsoft site's key database so it'll tell you that your key is bad if you let it check online. if you don't, all will be good, and you won't have to worry again (even with windows update as I've discovered - my install key still works fine).

It's a relief for those of us that actually purchased windows 98 se way back when and just don't keep track of 8 year old cd keys very well.

What version of Qemu were you guys running on your Windows machines and where did you get it? I'm currently going through this process with 0.7.2 on my Windows machine. Any advice to a novice would be appreciated.

first advice, use 0.8.0. Get it from here.

Next, go with the oldest windows version you can get away with for the software you want to run. xp is slow under q, 2000 is useable, 98 is actually quite good. ME is newer than 98se but ME has a lot of bugs and mistakes in it's design, so even though you could go with ME you'll probably find that 98se runs better and it runs the same apps as ME anyway. 98SE is definitely better than 98, although I think you can update 98 to 98se if memory serves me - but I've been wrong before.

make your hardfile at least 1200 megs to install windows 98 or me, 1400 for 2000 or xp (xp actually REQUIRES at least 1380 megs or something like that to install or it'll error on the formatting stage).

once you've created the hardfile, installed the os, tested it, run it etc, if you have to move it from one physical machine to another you can zip it. that'll make it between 3 and 4 times smaller. then unzip (or unrar) it at the other end (for example, on your osx machine).

if you install windows 98, be sure to go into the control panels and double click the internet one and start the internet connection wizard (or start the icw however you want, that's just how I do it). If you just double click on IE you'll get the msn dialup setup wizard - ewe, yucky! delete that msn legacy {censored} right away.

while you're at it, you can go into your network prefs and delete the dialup options - you only need lan and don't want any software you install under 98 to think you have a modem installed or you'll be in "windows internet setup hell" (patent pending).

oh yeah, and to make the 0.8.0 qemu see your native cdrom drive (without having to turn your windows install disk into an iso), setup the QemuMenu.cd file like this:

-cdrom \\.\d: -boot d

replace the d: with whatever drive letter your cdrom drive is. eg: for f:, it's like this:

-cdrom \\.\f: -boot d

the -boot d means it'll try to boot from cdrom. change it to -boot c to boot from harddrive. rename your QemuMenu.cd file to something else (like QemuMenu(off).cd if you don't want to boot from your cdrom or from any cd image files. if you do want to boot from a cdrom iso image, drag it into the dos window when prompted by qemu's setup config thingy (yes, that actually does work, but only for isos, not for real cds).

UPDATE: one more thing - if you try all this and are still screwed up (ie, don't understand qemu's awful interface on windows), I can post my config file, but it's long and I wouldn't say that I'm an expert at all, just that this is what worked for me. Use at least 128 megs of ram for win98 under qemu unless you don't have much physical ram on your system. 64 megs isn't enough for anything useful with modern applications on windows, even with win98. the os still only needs 64 megs, but apps need 128 to 256 typically at least for fast operation.

dkelley

update - I tried running Q on a hackintosh with no luck - it seems to run, but my win98 hardfile dies with a lack of memory error (it has 256 megs though) and also I suppose since the hackintosh is using a usb keyboard q doesn't parse that properly or something like that because the safe mode prompts don't respond to keyboard input (press 3 for safe mode, 1 for normal, etc).

I'll report my bugs - the usb keyboard thing is probably important for them to know about at least.

dkelley, about your usb problem. check out the link already posted here http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/ has a patch for usb. It might help, but then again..

good idea, however upon reading about it I believe it won't work on the macintel. It's worth a shot though (there's a usb "driver" for osx-qemu that must be installed, I'm not sure if it'll work since it appears to be a ppc only app - you know how ppc and intel apps don't like talking to each other, and how ppc "drivers" don't work on intel systems. So I'll just have to play with it and see I guess.

I'll let you know. Anybody have thoughts about the memory error? I wish I could remember the exact error but I'm not near the hackintosh right now. it was a specific type of memory it said it was low on, something dossy like possibly extended memory maybe.

UPDATE: never mind, I'll play with it some before saying any more about usb :-). the text made it sound like I had to install a native driver to the host os as well, however there doesn't seem to be one for osx. there is however the guest os patch so I'll try playing with that. I believe though that if usb worked in Q on osx then the Q dev guys would say so in their docs.