Sorry, I need to rant for a sec...

vaporATX

34 posts in this topic

I am with you guys, this thread does rock!

I have asked a few questions but I had extensively searched google for days, and tried a variety of things on my own, it was a question about the 8500GT, a while back when it was uncertain whether or not it would work. (at least from what I could find) I figured out it wouldn't bought a new card and was on my way.

Since then I have been answering any questions I can, but typically by suggesting - type this in google and you will find your result. Perhaps you should try that first?

Extremely frustrating that I put my machine together and have everything working 100% although others feel they can just get the answer from someone else instead of taking a look around. A word to all these people, grow up, get smart, and put a little effort into it. It truly says a lot about how these type of people live their life.

Anyways, I don't know if there is a solution, perhaps if people just took a look at the wiki and google prior to asking a question we would be in the clear.

BTW Onetrack> Nice machine you have there,(I need to drop my other 4gb into my machine) and as for keeping up with a busy life as well, I also have a great system and can manipulate it for new hardware, cheers to having intelligence!

i think people will not post stupid questions any more if the damn search function worked good. now it is the worst thing i've ever seen, even worse than the search function in windows :(. we are a kind of a mac community, so it needs to be good :P

google ---> "your question site:forum.insanelymac.com"

Not so hard ;)

I use that trick all the time. It's one shortfall is that when searching for information about specific hardware, it can be hard to find relevant results, thanks to the folks who have their entire setup in their sig.

If I may weigh in here:

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran of other net based "help" and "knowledge sharing" communities. Honestly, I think the best way to deter lazy posters is by greeting them with flames from longtime members, combined with Nazi-like enforcement of forum rules.

there is nothing so stupid as forums where you have to post x posts before starting your own topic or you have to wait x time to do something. if they do that on this forum, the community will grow much slower. and that's not a good thing.

there must be more administrators which delete the "stupid question" posts. and the search has to be better

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm this is sorta an ingenius idea, but what about before posting a topic in a forum that is frequented by help requests a person has to have read at least 10 posts or used the search function.

Not sure about coding.

To prevent 1 post people, make people have at least READ (not posted) 10 topics or something.

• 3 weeks later...