Sorry, I need to rant for a sec...

vaporATX

34 posts in this topic

If I read one more "my system won't boot" post that contains no system information, no install method... hell, nothing. I'm gonna break something. I've used this site and others for years and never posted a single question. I always found my answers were a few google searches and link follows away. There seems to be a large segment of our society that are just just plain stupid, rude, or both. God help you if you don't answer that question that's been asked a million times in 2 mins. You're then subjected to endless "hello" "anybody there" "bump" (bump? is it suddenly 1995 again?). Jesus H Christ on a freakin' crutch!

There, I feel much better now. :P

DITTO!

ALL of that, but in FRENCH!!

SticMAN

If I read one more "my system won't boot" post that contains no system information, no install method... hell, nothing. I'm gonna break something. I've used this site and others for years and never posted a single question. I always found my answers were a few google searches and link follows away. There seems to be a large segment of our society that are just just plain stupid, rude, or both. God help you if you don't answer that question that's been asked a million times in 2 mins. You're then subjected to endless "hello" "anybody there" "bump" (bump? is it suddenly 1995 again?). Jesus H Christ on a freakin' crutch!

There, I feel much better now. :P

With OSX86 becoming more and more famous any idiot who can manage to boot his computer, thinks he can install OSX86. These idiots are normally people who dont really wanna do anything, or even search on Google. They just got the OSX86 Disc from their Geeky friend, who sick of their queries directed them here, in the hope that they may actually read up and do it on their own. They just want OSX86 to work as soon as they pop-in the disc, coz thats what their friend told em.

Which is the exact reason the "How To Get 1280x800" in the Genius Bar section is still active and has 28 Pages of posts. In fact people even PM till now asking for help with their 855's/865's.

Which is also the reason I just gave up a long time ago. Now I just surf this site for Jokes/News/Flame Wars.

I think there should be a 3 Month waiting period before people are allowed to post at InsanelyMac. We will probably get rid of a majority of senseless posts.

I think there should be a 3 Month waiting period before people are allowed to post at InsanelyMac. We will probably get rid of a majority of senseless posts.

That is one hell of an idea you got there. People would actually be forced to do their homework.

Wow... I am just blown away about how simple that would be...

:):)

Although that isn't a bad idea having a 3 month wait it would mean that the people who have proper legit questions get fobbed off. Maybe we should have a new feature where when you make a topic it shows you all topics which are similar to it. Bit like a few other forums.

I guess tighter moderation would work. Make a forum called Silly Wabbit (Questions that have been answered many times) and move these posts into there. Put a bunch of basic sticky topics such as: How to type those pesky letter thingies into the Google search box, How to burn a disc 101, Don't forget to breathe or you will pass out, etc... This way people can't whine about their posts being deleted, but it will cut done the s/n ratio in forums for people to post legitimate questions and answers. That would be a lot of work on the part of the mods considering the volume this site gets, so that probably wouldn't be real workable. I've modded huge forums before and realize their isn't any real way to fix this. Especially when you consider the free exchange of information nature of this site. I guess this best thing is to gain amusement from the idiots, perhaps poke them with pointy sticks when one feels the muse, and resign oneself to the fact that there ain't much you can do.

The 3 Month wait would force people to actually read.

99% of all questions can actually be solved by reading.

The remaining 1% can always email a mod/admin.

When I started out, I was amazed at how many of my issues could be solved by sticky posts written by Rammjet in the Genius Bar. We should just point everyone there...

Chirst no! Don't do that! Most of them don't even know it's there. :(

How about making a Homebrew Macs (Advanced) section. Basically a copy of the current section, but with heavy moderation and granted access. You really wouldn't have to moderate it all that much if you screened the people you let it. If you do away with the "I want it right now with no effort!" teens and your basic idiots it'll self moderate. Just throwing ideas out there...

If you do away with the "I want it right now with no effort!" teens and your basic idiots it'll self moderate.

Hey! I'm a teen, and I did a ton of searching, and put in allot of effort, and got a working install. But I do agree with you, it really is annoying how many of the "Will this Mobo work?" and "plz help, big problem" posts there are. I mean there is a friken HCL, right on the wiki!! It also is annoying how non-descriptive topic titles can be. I have just stopped going there, because staying there for over ten minutes just causes unneeded stress, and makes me want to break something too. I like that "Advanced" Homebrew Macs section idea.

I agree with the 3 month waiting period I don't have alot of posts because I read everything there is first and have always found the solution without posting please administrators do this for all of our sanity please I beg of you. also I have been running osx since day one -I was a pearpc nerd first. I am so tired of stupid LAZY idiots who should just go use mommie and daddies credit card and buy a mac.i'm not sorry if this offends some of you. thank you all who have posted useful knowledgable posts without you I would not have a mac thank you and good day I said good day!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to break the parade but once we implement a 3 month waiting period, this forum will be as empty and dry as a desert :( You couldn't even call it a forum if you did that.

I concur. There are better solutions to the thousands of duplicate topics than a 3 month waiting period.

lets get a bunch more mods, and split the forums into basic/advanced. Advanced being highly modded, any noob posts being deleted/moved immediately.

For the OSx86 part only.

I think that may work pretty well.

I have been posting in a few topics where we are actually making headway in a new area, and doing interesting things. I don't think its right that these topics (along with other useful ones) get buried in the sea of noob. the only reason i am even able to go back and find the topics is cause i have them on subscription.

So we need to fix this.

I know people have been saying for a long time that things need to be fixed, but we could actually do something. Maybe get a bunch of proposals, and debate them?

How bout this?

Have a subforum- newbs only. Any new members with less than 1/2/3 months of joining dates are allowed only here. Brave souls can go in here and actually post answers. Also all guides should be posted here. This subforum could be like a mini forum, with Leopard/Tiger/VMware/Windows/etc sections.

Leave the rest of the forum same.

We would get rid of n00bish posts as well as spam.

I say just do like the a lot of Linux forums. When you hit the post button, you are taken to an intermediate page that says "is your questions answered in these threads?" with a list of similar threads; at the bottom of the list is a "nope, totally new question, never asked before!"

Get over it!!! - you are all responding like a bunch of prima donnas - it's a developmental problem related to the design and functionality of the site - maybe the user's lack of initiative - not the user's fault. If you don't like reading lazy threads then don't enter them (y'mean you can't recognise one?? - Use your initiative then!!) and certainly don't encourage them by showing off your expertise unnecessarily or condescendingly teaching them 'new' and 'useful' procedures.

Some suggestions are actually very good. I was thinking of the same idea as Inorganic Matter. I have seen this in action and it is a excellent method of combating posts in the wrong section.

I agree, in that I just hate stupid people.

The funny thing is, we're all stupid about something at least some point in time.

People are just going to be that way, there is no way to prevent the inevitable... anybody else see 'Idiocracy'? GD that movie is hilarious.

I really... really hate being the person who comes across as someone who didn't search properly before posting a topic. I do search every time before I post a new topic on a forum. I'm generally impatient though, in most all aspects of life. If I don't find it within about 30 minutes of searching I give up and post a new topic about my problem. Most times that it's already been discussed, it's that I didn't search exactly with the right term/abbreviation (or the search engine sucks). There is a big difference between not knowing, though.. and purposely avoiding what's right in front of you (a la 'search button')

I have to say, Vapor, you've been really helpful in replies to my threads.. and in other threads that I've read, so I hate to see someone so helpful to the community getting aggravated by the stupidity of it all. Trust me.. I'm with ya.

Dealing with it is definitely stress inducing, and the best way to avoid most of the stress is to just assume every single post and thread that you read will be some complete and utter moron who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.... then you're never disappointed :(

i like the idea of taking that thinger from the linux forums :D

i'm 15 and i've been just reading.. and posting on threads other people have started (i have started a few... but they were mostly about which vid card is better and stuff) :thumbsup_anim:

i really love the idea of the page with all the links to guides and stuff b4 you can get into the forum too :D

idk i don't believe it is as much of a problem as you make it out to be..

I :D this thread.

After writing my guide on the modified brazilmac installation method back in november, ever single day I was nailed with at least a dozen im's from people with only 1 post. A few of the people were nice, intelligent, had searched the forum and came with good questions, the majority however can't even f'n spell.

I just ended up deleting posts like:

"omgz0rz i hav teh amd - it won't work ! tell me how to fix it u lam3r !"

seriously.. i should have kept some of the great ones, if I didn't give the 100% answer, or said something like ' your question has been asked and answered on page 14 of the forum post ' I'd get called a {censored} for not helping them.

Well Stellarolla and I basically gave up helping people here.. Weaksauce12 is still hammering away at his BA2 guide but is entirely frustrated with the instant gratification spoon-fed idiots now. - I just push people towards the kalyway, iatkos or zephyroth installations now, and rarely answer my im's (unless of course its an intelligent question.)

Seriously, people DON'T even try builds, people are AFRAID to format their hd's, people whine about stability but refuse to try installing a package or kext - come on people, if you want 100% (well maybe not 100%) stability - buy a mac, return to windows/linux - this forum is all about breaking the rules and making your hardware do something it was never intended at all to be able to do.

I'm not being a prima-donna as someone mentioned on this post, but I'm sick of people signing up and only posting 1 thing so they can tell me off in an IM for not helping them. !!!!!.

Other than that, for the last 2 months I've changed out my motherboard - gone to guid/efi 8, got strings for all my hardware, found working wireless setups, have a brand new completely customized installer for my board (the DFI Blood Iron T2RL) It installs 10.5.2 in about 20 minutes..., Moved house and the wife had a baby.

Maybe if all the immediate gratification whiners actually figured out the search or read a tutorial they could contribute a little.

I'm with you guys - this thread rocks.