My experiences installing Leopard on a hackintosh

1 post in this topic

Well heres my sum up of my experiences installing Leopard, which worked out in the end

Part 1: iATKOS v1.0iR2

So, I got my shiny new Core 2 Quad computer built and working (specs in sig). I downloaded iATKOS from BrokenStones which took 2 days on my 256kbps connection. The comments for the torrent said that the ISOs MD5 didn't match with the original one posted on the Uphuck forums, but that it still worked. So since BrokenStones was fast, I downloaded the image. Then I heard aout the R2 patch which fixes a bunch of major issues with iATKOS so I downloaded that and patched the ISO with PPF-O-Matic. I burned the ISO image with Nero 7, popped the disc in and I booted. It said "Press any key to install OS X", I pressed a key and it repeated the message. Tried again and again with all the kernel flags and everything, same thing happened. I tested out the ISO on 2 different computers and even in VMware, same thing. I gave up on iATKOS and just installed Tiger 10.4.11 with EFI and it stayed that way for a long time.

Then, EqUaTe posted up an unofficial R3 PPF patch that supposedly fixed all the bootloader issues with iATKOS R2, so I downloaded that PPF, applied it, and burned another disc. No go again, same problem with the "Press any key to install" message. It seems that a lot of people are having this problem. So I gave up on iATKOS.

Part 2: Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD

After craving Leopard after seeing all the Leopard desktops in "Show your OS X desktop!" thread (:P), I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. It was downloading slow because of my dumb mistake with uTorrent, my router was blocking the port that it was using for uploads. Once I opened the port, downloads went at the max pitiful speed of my connection: (30KBps). Once it was done, I verified the MD5 of the zip file and it matched. I also verified the MD5 of the ISO and it matched to, and I went ahead and burned it with DVD Decrypter at a slow 4x speed seeing as people said it worked the best. Booted from the DVD, and although it took a CRAZY long time to load, it eventually loaded.

Chose language, went into Disk Utility, formatted my partition as MBR, and went back to the installer. I chose the vanilla options, the NVinject desktop driver, and the Boot EFI MBR option. Took about 30 min to install and the install was finally done. I restarted and booted from my external hard drive (thats where I installed Leopard) and booted OS X in verbose mode. Everything went fine and then I encountered my first minor problem. It went to where NVinject set the model and it locked up. I restarted, and this time thankfully it booted and went into the welcome video. I entered my details and went up to the point where it asked me to type in my name, address, etc. This is where I encountered another problem. My PS/2 keyboard wouldn't work. I had to pull a USB keyboard from the other computer and use it to complete the setup assistant.

Leopard appeared and it was beautiful. Everything was great. The first thing I had to do was fix t he PS/2. I went back to the Kalyway release thread where there was a link for a ACPI PS/2 keyboard and mouse fix. Downloaded this, installed it using Kext Helper, and my PS/2 keyboard was in action. Now the second thing that alarmed me most was that networking didn't work. My ethernet wasn't recognized even though it assigned a MAC address at boot. It said in the wiki that this motherboard's LAN worked out of the box in Leopard. So I thought that it was weird, but I installed the official Realtek driver (the same one I used for Tiger) and my networking worked. The last thing was sound, which was easily solved by installing the alc889a kexts from Tiger.

All in all, at the end everything worked and I'm happy :D Next thing: 10.5.2 update :o I hope you learn something from my experiences.