The Newbies FAQ to Mac OSx86

~pcwiz

150 posts in this topic

Guys, don't pots questions like will X hardware work, I am getting X error what should I do. That's what the FAQ is for.

quis,

Yours are general questions so I can answer

1. Kalyway and iATKOS are different patched DVD makers. These DVDs you can just pop in and install, and chances are that you will be fine (quick and easy method). Retail DVD is the original Apple Leopard DVD. Retail DVD method is a bit harder (although not much) but will guarantee that you have as close a system to a real mac as possible, meaning a full vanilla install. It doesn't really matter what route you go, but it may be easier starting out with a patched DVD like Kalyway, then when you are more experienced, to move on to a retail DVD.

2. Yes the kernel is essentially the "core" and is part of Darwin, the FreeBSD (UNIXish) based system that runs underneath all the eye candy of OS X. Vanilla kernel means that it is the original unmodified Apple kernel. There are various patched kernels too, some get you working sleep, SpeedStep, shutdown, restart, etc. Some allow you to run on SSE2 processors. It all depends on your needs and what you configuration is.

Hi ~pcwiz, thanks for the effort and passion you put into the hackintosh scene.

There's no that many people dedicating precious time into helping others, writing guides and faq's.

I have ordered my hardware (as compatible as possible) and can't wait for it to arrive.

Hope I'll learn much and end up with a compatible and rocking hack.

So in my preparation for the installation I've put a day or two to learn about the various methods and

ways of installing but it's hard for a newcomer to grasp the concepts, tools and tech talk.

Maybe you could elaborate more on the PC-EFI and the differences with Chameleon EFI and if possible

the boot-132 method. But maybe this kind of faq's should be on the wiki.

Either way, rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for this tutorial.

I am feeling like a warrior, I have chosen to use the Snow Leopard version on my desktop.

I have checked the HCL, I'll give you the feedback for an P5K premium motherboard ;)

My NVidia is compatible (YeeeeeS) so let's go :D

I am about to buy a notebook, if I got a nice try, I will choose my laptop refering to HCL :P

But the new Clevo M860Tu looks so great... but hard to find out if it will be easy to make it works with DDR3 :/

I have Laptop Toshiba Satellite P105-S9312, but i can't find it on wiki in support devices, but i found almost same laptop,

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...lite_P105-S9722

thia laptop have a Core 2 Duo processor, but i have just Core Duo is it big problem or i can try to install Hackintosh?

Can i install Hackintosh to external hard drive, like USB hard drive?

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. New member here.

I cannot get my burned ISO DVDs to boot!

I have an HP Pavilion laptop running an AMD Turion (32 bit), Socket S1, 65nm, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 2 Gig DDR2 RAM.

I burned ISOs for KALYWAY LEO 10.5.1intel SSE2 SSE3 and Leopard-10.5.2-AMD.

When I try to boot from the DVDs, there is a pause with the blinking dash, then it boots into Vista Ult. I did tell it to boot from the DVD drive, so its not that.

What am I doing wrong? I have read and read and read and am stumped.

Third time's a charm. I was able to burn Leo4allv3 final and get it to boot.

I am now having trouble with the Disk Utility. It will only let me format the entire disk.

I did go into Vista Disk Management and made a separate partition. At first I left it unallocated and Disk Utilitiy did not see it. I then formatted it FAT in Vista and it now shows up, but I cannot format just that one partition. I only have the option to make a new partition(s) which would erase the entire drive.

What am I doing wrong? I am hoping to install OSX onto the smaller partitiona and ultimately dual boot with Vista.

Well, I feel like an idiot. I seemed to have somehow deleted everything.

Well, now I've done it. Call me b00n!

In trying to get Disk Utility to work, I deleted the entire HD.

I am now trying to install OSX on a clean disk.

Ok well I have now unsuccessfully installed the MAC OS 10.5.4 Update. It wasn't till after I did it I read that it will crash the install. So I am really new to the MAC system, Windows all my life. And I've read a lot on here about like a vanilla kernal to help with the updates? Well if someone could give me like a ''Install Updates For Dummies Guide'' I would reallt appreciate it. I have successfully installed the minor updates for the aps but the system one crashes considering I have to boot from the DVD every time. So an easy way to install updates is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make me look a little less dumb, thanks in advance for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Em...I'm newbie here...and when I already prepared a partition my dvd can't boot correctly so when I type -v in booting process all I got...is the front process and it restart directly anybody can help me?

Coz it quite costs me for the dvd...

Thanks for your help ^^

Update : I'm using iAtkos 1.0i

Specs :

Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4GHz

Zotac n780i Supreme ( nForce 780i SLI )

Zotac nVidia 8800GT AMP 512 MB

4GB Memory ( 2x1GB Visipro PC5300, 2x1GB Corsair PC5300 )

Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200rpm

• 2 weeks later...

After six great months of running a triple boot Kalyway install (Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu), I made the poor decision to update to 10.5.5 using the software updater. This produced a Kernel Panic and now I'm a little stuck. I use Time Machine and was hoping you could perhaps provide a Time Machine Restore set of instructions as part of this FAQ.

What I found was that after booting off the initial Kalyway 10.5.1 disk, I could follow the instructions to restore from Time Machine but now on booting, I just get a blinking cursor. I'm not sure how often people are having to use Time Machine Restores but any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks for all the continued work and patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sick of searching!

I've the DVD, Kalyway 10.5.2 Amd + intel release and I'm using a Dell XPS M 1530. It just doesn't boot into the CD. After I select the boot from CD option, it just shows a blank screen for sometime and boots into windows. This I'm guessing is because the PC couldn't boot from that particular CD. Any reasons why?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sick of searching!

I've the DVD, Kalyway 10.5.2 Amd + intel release and I'm using a Dell XPS M 1530. It just doesn't boot into the CD. After I select the boot from CD option, it just shows a blank screen for sometime and boots into windows. This I'm guessing is because the PC couldn't boot from that particular CD. Any reasons why?

seems like i can help you

well make sure the disc is working like try to boot on another computer.

other than that it should work really just make sure press f12 and choose CD.

if it waits sometime and boots into windows that's probably mean that disc is corrupted/have missing files etc.etc.

try to download another kalyway 10.5.2.

Someone should really add iDeneb 10.5.5. to that Leopard list. From my point of view, it is highly recommended on amd's (Asus M2V).

agreed. I also think the 'Newbie FAQ' and 'State of the Art' posts could both benefit a little from an update to the current state of play in the community, especially now that just about any new user should be able to install a genuine Mac-compatible installation using a retail Leopard DVD with a master pre-loaded BootCD containing the latest Voodoo XNU kernel and lifeboat kexts running from the EFI partition. See -

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=900139

and

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=934112

for more info ...

• 3 weeks later...

I am performing a new install of Mac OS X from Kalyway 10.5.2, i had a question regarding the HDD format. Should it be in NTFS or FAT32 format ??

~PCWIZ Umm i have a Dell 8600 and i can not get it to install Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard

When i can get it to install right it comes up with the error

"Using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers"

How do i fix it.?

Is there anyone or anything that can get this to work for me

System Specs:

Dell 8600 Laptop

1.50 GHz

512 MB Mem.

60 Gb. HDD

P.S if you havent already notices i am a hackintosh n00b. Sorry

I suggest that instead of using that workaround, you should try to find a way to boot it normally and still have everything working :)

I am looking at Gigabyte motherboards that are in the Wiki HCL.

GA-EG31-S2

GA-G31M-ES2L

What does the E represent in each of the motherboards and will that make a difference whether or not I can Hackintosh it?

I already have a Hackintosh, but I want to build a more powerful one. I am not a Hackintosh expert by any means.

• 2 months later...

I am not versed in computers but I have a hackintosh running leopard 10.5.2 with 4 gigs of ram, intel quad core 2.4 ghz

ddr2 800, nvidia 8500 gt 512 mb. 500gb SATA-II.

I accidentally did a software update and now it won't boot up. It says I have a panic debugger and prompts me to shutdown on boot. I was told to boot in dvd and remove the appleintelcpumanagement kext.

I have the mac retail leopard osx but im not able to boot in dvd for some reason it won't let me. I changed the boot priority in the BIOS so i know it's not that.

Any suggestions? Im not a programmer in the least bit so any walk through would be helpful...thanks in advance