os x is slow after setting up bootcamp

SpeedfreaK

17 posts in this topic

hello,

i installed leopard a while ago, but recently i got ET quake wars, so i needed to install xp on my alu imac. i installed xp, and quake wars. but after installing xp OS X boots and shuts down extremely slow and the os itself is also a bit slower than before. i searched the web and found that resetting the pram (or something like that) helped, i did that by pressing "command + alt + p + r" at boot. the result is good: os x boots faster but the shut down time is still extremely long. and leopard is still a bit slower.

i had a similar problem when setting up bootcamp beta when tiger was installed on my mac.

now i use bootcamp 2.0 (with new ati drivers downloaded from the website) and leopard 10.5.2

does somebody knows how to solve this problem because it's very annoying that my mac is slow.

There is usually one universal answer for slowness, buy more random access memory, Here is a great site to get it VERY cheap...

or use VMWare Fusion or that other one, whose name escapes me now...

Think Mark

EDIT: and if you have a hackmac, with dual boot, why use BootCamp or even put anything else on the Jesus Computer?

I would say use Onyx to run Maintenance Scripts.

Also Repair Permissions using Disk Utility.

Have you installed NTFS-3G/MacFuse?? This causes amazing slowdowns. You could even try disabling Indexing of your XP Drive.

hello,

i installed leopard a while ago, but recently i got ET quake wars, so i needed to install xp on my alu imac. i installed xp, and quake wars. but after installing xp OS X boots and shuts down extremely slow and the os itself is also a bit slower than before. i searched the web and found that resetting the pram (or something like that) helped, i did that by pressing "command + alt + p + r" at boot. the result is good: os x boots faster but the shut down time is still extremely long. and leopard is still a bit slower.

i had a similar problem when setting up bootcamp beta when tiger was installed on my mac.

now i use bootcamp 2.0 (with new ati drivers downloaded from the website) and leopard 10.5.2

does somebody knows how to solve this problem because it's very annoying that my mac is slow.

I noticed this too!

only with vista though

XP would allow OS X to shut down right away like it should...

actually i've had this problem before and I do not know if it is the cause of it, but what I did was resetting my PRAM. it seemed to give me a better boot time (at least for OSX)

Restart while holding

Control + Option + P + R

• 4 weeks later...

did not work...

but i've noticed that after every mac os x update (not a program like itunes, but updates for leopard) my imac gets slower and after a week it gets a little bit faster.

but my whole system is still more slower than before i had installed bootcamp

• 2 weeks later...

Hm.. Seems like you really having a hard time. I have leopard and vista (boot camp) on my macbook. But things work just fine.. Although there a slightly some performance dropped from the beginning. Er.. Did you defrag your xp partition? Whats is your format for xp partition? MacFuse doesnt actually slow down... Cuz is just a plugin.