Apple Care....

23 posts in this topic

It doesn't matter as it is your machine not theres so its up to u what you put on it as you have paid for it so they will just repair the problem if they do u for illegal software do them because thats ur private data :(

D.

Just make a clone image of your drive and send it wiped.

Yeah, good idea. When I had to send my MacBook to AppleCare the several times that I did, I would always use SuperDuper to clone my HDD to my external drive, zero out the MacBook's main HDD, then send it in, just to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

Yeah, good idea. When I had to send my MacBook to AppleCare the several times that I did, I would always use SuperDuper to clone my HDD to my external drive, zero out the MacBook's main HDD, then send it in, just to be on the safe side. :D

Is SuperDuper the best program to use...? Easy to load up the image saved?

I had to share this with someone!

It not Apple Care, but just as good!

I got a new HP Notebook a week ago, which I had the HDD upgraded by their service center to double the size. When I got it home the first thing I did was wipe, prep and installed Mac 10.5.2!

Three days later, the drive started making a noise, and after discussing it with them they asked me to bring the drive in so they could test it!

Next day they phoned, said they replaced it at no cost and I could come and pick it up. On collecting I asked what was wrong with the old drive, they stated that their testing software was unable to access the drive and when they booted it(as it still worked) they found they had no software to run on it and therefore decided to replace the drive! :(

They even let me have the old one to transfer my OWN data over and bring it back later....

When I handed it back, one techie claimed it and said he was going to "experiment" on it!

NOT Apple Care but HP Care!

SticMAN

Recently I gave my iMac to service, as the screen was having issues. The local Apple Service Center was superbly impressed with my custom boot logo and software "collection". So much so that he even made a disk image out of my HDD.

Dunno about Apple Care in US n all, but I dont think they would really care.

No they are just a de-stressed bunch, who provide great service to a handful a Mac Hippies(thats what my bro calls Mac Users). Plus in India piracy is a very accepted form of life.

PS How did you know my real name? I changed it to UC long back, coz typing Unstable Connection on the High Score thing of games is just tooooo boring.

• 2 weeks later...

My Policy:

I do this with all machines that are going into service -- PC or Mac.

I make a complete image backup of the hard drive that I can restore later.

I then reinstall the factory-original image to the hardware. My reason is twofold: 1. it keeps their eyes off my data/apps and 2. It prevents them from blaming the system failure on a "corrupt OS" or "XYZ Application."

I just sent my 13" MacBook in for service (Superdrive stopped reading CDs) and when they boot it up, it will be like nobody has ever used it before. They will have to to through the entire "welcome to mac" screen and everything.

Once the machine comes back, I will wipe the drive and restore my image to the way it was they day the machine left. This way, there's no chance that they mess up some settings or see any apps I have installed.