9600GT Launched!

Synaesthesia

25 posts in this topic

The 9600GT is slightly less powerful than the 8800GT so I guess an 8800GT is the better choice for any OSx86 interested User.

If there will be no powerful and cheap 9800 card in the near future, then I think my new PC will be powered by a GeForce 8800GT, since you can also find this one in Apple's Mac Pro.

.nomac

no go in osx yet.

That's a shame.

It'll be interesting how much this card will be.

Performance wise, it's nearly identical to the HD 3870.

Im looking at getting a new card round about that performance this easter, so price and OS X compatibility will be the deciding factors

At first I thought there was a faster card on the market after I just paid for a 8800GT. Whew! :)

I read the Tom's Hardware article and the the card is pretty good, but I should see better performance out of mine since it is overclocked at 700mhz. I have to get out of the Mac OS long enough to test it though...

Wont be supported because of the chipset. As of now, OS X only supports up to the G92 chipsets, these are G94's.

My bad, thought they were G92 :) Yeah they won't work then.

But you are wrong on one point, OSX supports G98 (9400 series) too, but not G94.

Wow.. can't believe 3870 killed it.. referring to benchmarks above.

Yep, I'm happy with my 3870. Great price to performance. Still, it's nice to know that the GeForce 9 Series will offer good midrange, something the 8 Series lacked.

Wrong... Even most high end cards like 8800GTX are not using 100% of PCIe 1.0 x16, so don't expect ANY card, specially a mid range one like 9600GT to actually need PCIe 2.0 to fully run. It'll run the same on PCIe 1.0, exactly the same.

Don't ask me why though this card is PCIe 2.0, that's another mystery :lol: Even the 8800GT... Since PCIe 1.0 cards are working on PCIe 2.0 slots...