Try Windows Vista in your web browser

~pcwiz

50 posts in this topic

Isn't there some way to extract the product key from a validated machine? You might be able to get a legit key from one of the VMs. :)

i got one, but why would i use it? vista is such a piece of ****

you get it from registry

anyways, you can like do this to one of those vms:

del /f /s /q /a:rhsa *.*

DELETES all hidden, system files! Without a confirmation prompt! Forces it to too! (/f)

Where in the registry, might I ask would you find the product key for Vista? The product keys are encrypted in the registry and the only way you could get at them would be to use a 3rd party utility, which you can't do in the VM.

Lets you try Vista in a web browser, fully functional Vista!!

In other words it kind of lets Mac users see what it would be like if their Macs had a virus? ;)

Who's gonna use IE just for the purpose of this?

The same morons that would spend money on something like vista, so I guess they have their demographic pretty well selected :rolleyes:

I think this is actually a very cool and useful way of demonstrating ones product. If Apple did this (they'd have to do something to make it less sluggish), I bet a lot of non Mac users would be amazed at how great OS X is. It'd also be nice of Linux developers would set up preview sites similiar to this for their distributions (I realize thats asking a lot, considering they develop and release their linux for free).

Yeah, but the problem is that many people have less than fast internet connections (like me) and they also may have trashed up Windows 98 machines (ha ha Vista on win 98 :) ). If some n00b forgot to read the notice that this does not demonstrate actual performance, then they might think that that is how fast Vista really runs...

It'd also be nice of Linux developers would set up preview sites similiar to this for their distributions (I realize thats asking a lot, considering they develop and release their linux for free).

Actually I don't think that is necessary, as many distributions provide Live CDs/DVDs.

Good point Alessandro, but what about those who have slower net connections and don't want to go through downloading a 700MB image? And I know you're gonna say that people with slow connections wouldn't benefit from a online test drive anyway, but not true. I have a slow connection (only 30 kilobytes per second down), but I find that online OSes like youOS are quite usable.

Yep, at least with a live cd/dvd you can see if it's working proper, check compatibility. Who has slow connections now anyway, most people have a CD-R and broadband. For trying a OS you simply can't beat a live cd/dvd.