Dual display on ATI x1700 family

finetuned

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been trying to get dual display to work on my Thinkpad T60p for a while now. Usually, my internal display would work fine, but the external one would stay black. I could, however, move windows into the area where the display of the external monitor would be (meaning: off the screen of my Thinkpad), but even then the external monitor would stay black.

Now I found a setting in my BIOS to select which display you'd like to use on boot. It was set to Thinkpad LCD, but I now set it to LCD + VGA. Now on both monitors, I see the which Apple startup screen, then both screens turn blue, then my Thinkpad would load up my wallpaper, dock, etc, but the external one stays blue. I can,however, see the mouse pointer on it when I move it onto it!! So it seems to work, more or less!

I can't, however, drag a window onto it. I can see the mouse pointer, but the window is no longer 'attached' to it.

When I set the BIOS option to use just the VGA output, my Thinkpad LCD stays black the entire time, the OS boots up on the external display, including the mouse pointer placed onto it at boot, but my desktop does not load onto it, so the screen stays blue with a movable mouse pointer. Context menu does not work either (right-click).

I don't think I've read this anywhere before so I thought I'd share it with you.

I'm using a modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATIInject / ATINDRV, specs are in my signature.

Thanks for reading, anyone help in getting this fixed is welcome!

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem with my T60p. v5250 1680x1050 version. Kalyway 10.5.2

The only way I have gotten external display to work is via the VGA port on the dock.

I am using the newest bios from Lenovo's web site as of this writing and display section in the BIOS changed "Boot Display device" to VGA+DVI

T60p must be connected to dock at time of power on or it will not work for me.

Side VGA port has been a no-go for me.

However w/o the DVI and VGA port on dock working I can't get dual monitor support which, for me, is showstopper.

If anyone has any ideas I'm willing to be the ginny pig. This is my work laptop but since I bought a MacBook the T60p just collects dust.

• 1 year later...