Removed OSx86 Leopard, Can't Install Windows!

niche25

22 posts in this topic

I recently decided to go back to windows after using iAtkos OSx86 Leopard for a few weeks. I formated my hard drive back to NTFS and tried installing Windows XP Pro but the install does not see the hard drive and fails to continue. I tried 5 different versions of Windows (XP home, Pro, Vista, 2000, me) but all fail.

The weird thing is I can install Ubuntu just fine as well as reinstall Leopard but I really need help getting this laptop back to Windows XP Pro. Please help me. Thank you!

Yes the partition was set active. I just tried partitioning & formating it on my main computer as a secondary drive and everything went fine (and set as active). put the drive back in my laptop and run the installer but it still can see the hard drive.

No I cant get the to the partition/format part of any of the windows installs, doesnt see the HDD. I also tried re-partitioning & formating through iAtkos and again no luck. This is so weird because again Linux installs just fine and so does Leopard. any tools I can download and boot with to fix or report whats going on here?

BTW thank you guys for all the fast responses so far!

Can you load up Diskpart on the laptop itself? Perhaps with the Vista DVD?

Try and set the disk active through that.

Boot the Vista CD, don't click on the option to Install. Instead, click on the option to repair problems. You'll be asked to select a Windows installation (the list will be blank - don't worry, just click next), and then to choose a tool to run. Run the Command Prompt.

Invoke Diskpart by typing diskpart at the command prompt. You'll now have a DISKPART> prompt. Type list disk.

Select the disk to work with to give it focus, such as:

DISKPART> select disk 1

Convert the disk, as follows:

To convert a disk from GPT (GUID) to MBR, type convert mbr at the command prompt.

That should fix you problem.

I recently decided to go back to windows after using iAtkos OSx86 Leopard for a few weeks. I formated my hard drive back to NTFS and tried installing Windows XP Pro but the install does not see the hard drive and fails to continue. I tried 5 different versions of Windows (XP home, Pro, Vista, 2000, me) but all fail.

The weird thing is I can install Ubuntu just fine as well as reinstall Leopard but I really need help getting this laptop back to Windows XP Pro. Please help me. Thank you!

My advice to you is boot ubuntu live cd, use gparted or gnome partition edit as its called on the live cd and remove all partitions but DONT format them, just remove them and then boot windows install, windows install should see hard drive and let you format from within the install, my advice would be to do the long format though, as you've had different partition types on the disk!

• 1 month later...

Hey this worked for me, assuming you have an alternate pc with internet and the ability to burn a CD or has USB ports

download DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) HERE

burn it to cd or copy to Thumb drive

boot with cd/thumbdrive in (make sure boot order allows these to be before HD in bios)

its very self explanatory, wipes your HD completely, my advice is hit enter upon it starting up

and then if you look at the bottom of your screen after it will give you some parameters you can change

i set everything to as little of a "nuke" as possible (1 pass, no verification, ect.)

in about 10-20 mins when DBAN has finished, pop your windows cd in and rock'n'roll

If you have a GUID partition setup Windows can't use it for the OS. I verified this trying to put Vista x64 on a previous Leopard install. Of course MS only goes half-way.. Vista specifically *tells* me that it' a GPT partition setup and Vista can't install the OS to it.. then it.. just stops. Why the heck doesn't it offer to re-partition the drive then!??!

I had to boot Leo4All and re-partition with MBR before Vista would install. What a pain.

(how did you get GUID on iATKOS anyway? I didn't think his boot loader supported it)

Sorry to be unhelpful but everyone should be so lucky ;) -- Me, I'm just getting a blue screen of death during installation - I think it's because I have 4gb of ram and XP doesn't like that - guess I'm lucky too! - sticking with leopard ;)

• 6 months later...

have you tried booting the leopard install disk, going to terminaland typing

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0              if 0 is the first (or only) hdd on your machine

flag 1                        with 1 or 2 or whatever being the partition you want to install to

quit

y

reboot

it will reboot, now trying installing vista to that partition

all this is doing is making it active... has fixed all my issues in 5 minutes that would before have taken a day of reinstalling