How to get 2-Finger (or 1-finger) scrolling working on MOST laptop trackpads

ranova

296 posts in this topic

An interesting note...

After getting this working on my T43 I disassembled it and repainted the shell. When I put everything back together again I began getting USB power errors. Turns out it was the stupid Trackpoint I disabled before. I hit it a few times (official troubleshooting method) and now no more messages.

Scrolling still working great.

Kage

Works fine for me, at the first time.

BTW, I follow every steps and when I reboot after the instalation, the trackpad 2 finger behavior is not correct.

Only works fine when I write on terminal:

sudo killall -9 FFScrollDaemon

sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon.

What can i do?

BMW see my post above about the applescript... works great for me. If you have questions pm me and I will write a tutorial.

Kage

The script work.

I put it in the startupitems folder (library/startupitems and system/library/startupitems)

At first reboot show a warning message and I click in "repair".

At second reboot nothing happens, the script don't run. If i open it and click in "run", works.

How can I do that the OSX run the script after reboot?

So you applied the driver and then updated to 10.5.2, and then copied over an applied applePS2controller.kext to fix the PS2 problems (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87139&st=20)? If so, then it wont work because this "hack" is based off of that kext and FFScroll. If you reinstalled and followed the guide after updating to 10.5.2, it should work (if it worked before) again. My applePS2controller.kext is from the driver package found in the guide.

I will attach the applePS2controller.kext that was included in the driver package. Use Kext Helper to install it, and reboot.Did you run sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon in terminal after restarting the 2nd time? Its bugged (at least for me, in leopard) and does not load at all even after rebooting.

You can still do it, however its a little bit more tougher. You can change values around to make scrolling require a lot of pressure OR try to setup the side scrolling ( I couldnt get it to work offhand)Most of the laptops you guys are using come with two buttons, so its a good trade off to use that and have scroll enabled. All depends on your needs!

If you scroll by just lightly touching the trackpad, you need to change Property: zAcceptThreshold in the plist file and restart the daemon. Don't do it within FFScroll because the highest you can enter there is 61.. and right now its set at 80. Try setting it to 90, 100 or above. Higher the number, the more pressure it requires, BUT it is different for every trackpad!

Did you ever get it to load on boot in leopard? I've fine-tuned mine in 10.5.1 but have to load it through terminal each time I reboot. Found a solution yet? It would be much appreciated!

Do you mean StartUpItems? (I Guess)

I believe so. Unfortunately I am ignorant about computer programming and it was quite a feat to get OSX to run at all. Right now I have to use terminal to load FFScrollDaemon at each boot up and I just want to know how to get that to automatically load. Thanks for your help!

Excellent work guys..

Tapping the touch pad activates a left click perfectly, but the vertical scrolling isn't working for some reason...

Any ideas why guys? I have a Synpatics HP dv1000 trackpad if that helps.. I followed the instructions word for word, so can't think wat's wrong.. Thanks for any help!

w00t! got it working properly now ;)

now all i need to do is get shutdown to work ;)

Edit 2 trackspeed is back to normal... tap clicking is now a bit off after sleep/wake... reinstalled the whole package, but tap clicking seems way off atill...

Edit: Ok first prob, the tracking itself (ie, moving the cursor around).. its pretty slow... I have the tracking speed set to the max in Sys pref>Keyboard and Mouse, however its very very slow... the top speed with ffscroll on is about the same as having the speed halfway when ffscroll is unloaded...

any ideas?? how could i increase the tracking speed :S

pritthish

have to edit the two plist files mentioned in the tutorial. The list of what everything does tells you what everything means. The settings in sys pref dont really work well. Im considering building a cocoa app that will change these settings and restart the scroll daemon.

also

For those of us who don't understand the applescript i mentioned here are some tips.

First off get my app which i am attaching.

Second put it somewhere like in your downloads or somewhere else you can find it.

Then go to accounts in the system preferences and click login items and add the app.

Reboot and enjoy.

mousestart.app

pritthish

have to edit the two plist files mentioned in the tutorial. The list of what everything does tells you what everything means. The settings in sys pref dont really work well. Im considering building a cocoa app that will change these settings and restart the scroll daemon.

also

For those of us who don't understand the applescript i mentioned here are some tips.

First off get my app which i am attaching.

Second put it somewhere like in your downloads or somewhere else you can find it.

Then go to accounts in the system preferences and click login items and add the app.

Reboot and enjoy.

Hmm, seems like I found exactly when the trackpad screws up..

basically, if i sleep/wake the laptop, the tap click goes off... however, if i reboot into vista, shut down and boot back into OSX, tap click and scrolling works perfectly!

so now question is, WHY does it screw up when i put the computer to sleep?? and why the hell is this solved if i boot into vista and back into leo O_o

It works pretty fine on Vaio NR21S, both vertical and horizontal scroll. I've to set to max the trackpad speed, otherwise the mouse cursor is so slow and it does only little movements. The sensibility sets to max is too high for me and it works perfectly using about 75%. Circ scrolling not works very well if vertical scrolling is on.

During the installation steps, after I've replaced the FFScroll folder, OSX asks to me to repair permessions one more time. I've selected fix, than after reboot works.

Could the next step be "pinch" gesture? :D I hope...

Regards,

Maurizio

Typing this from my msi wind now. Two finger scrolling works as in it scrolls, but doesnt really work too well. Havent had time to tweak the settings alot. All i did was install the ffscroll package. I did not install the package hosted on rapidshare. Installed driver, rebooted, fixed, rebooted, ran ffscrolldeamon and it was up and running. Please report back if you find acceptable values for the wind. I did not during the few minutes testing this manage to get good old fashioned side-scrolling working ;)