How to get 2-Finger (or 1-finger) scrolling working on MOST laptop trackpads

ranova

296 posts in this topic

Hey,I got the same results mentioned earlier, but with a T41p. I think it's an IBM/Lenovo thing. My trackpad completely stopped responding, so I have to use an external. I'm trying to figure out how to uninstall it.

Btw, I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2

Edit:

Man....i forgot to back up my original ktext. Does anyone have a copy of the default one (or know where to find one)? I don't want to have to reinstall... :-(Thanks

Edit (again):

I managed to pull the original ApplePS2Controller.ktext off the Leopard install cd. Everything is back to where it was. I guess thinkpads can't do 2 finger scrolling.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know how to increase touchpad sensitivity? My mouse moves unbearably slow right now. I already put the sensitivity to the maximum in system preferences (under mouse and keyboard settings). Scrolling works great though! Also, the link in the first post to the guide for changing different settings with ffscroll is broken.

Well I almost got it working. Using a Gateway laptop with a Synaptic device version 5.9.

I got the settings workable (still hard to tap and drag but hey) My problem came up on

the reboot. The settings didn't stick. I am using Leopard 1.5.2 (leo4allv2) and following

the instrucitions to the letter, I never got the message to Fix the install of the Alps driver,

nor when I added the Deamon on the StartupItmes. When I reboot the FFScroll panel no longer

works. And the daemon does not start. I also noticed that the driver already installs a folder

called FFScroll to the StartupItems folder. (which seems to also try to load the same daemon)

So I am confused, if the Alps Driver instalation already put a startupitem to load FFScroll, why

do the instructions have a step where we add another?

Why don't I get the option button to fix on both parts of the install (maybe a 10.5.2 thing)?

Why will it not load any of the daemons no matter what I do? (I even tried /etc/rc.local but it

would boot but it would not work)

Can any one help me with this boot issues?

Regards

xbc

Hey,I got the same results mentioned earlier, but with a T41p. I think it's an IBM/Lenovo thing. My trackpad completely stopped responding, so I have to use an external. I'm trying to figure out how to uninstall it.

Btw, I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2

Edit:

Man....i forgot to back up my original ktext. Does anyone have a copy of the default one (or know where to find one)? I don't want to have to reinstall... :-(Thanks

Edit (again):

I managed to pull the original ApplePS2Controller.ktext off the Leopard install cd. Everything is back to where it was. I guess thinkpads can't do 2 finger scrolling.

I just installed this on an old IBM Thinkpad T42, Kalyway 10.5.2, which runs Synaptics 5.9. After editing the plist file for the accept value, (120 seems about the sweet spot), I seem to have a good balance with single finger cursor movement and two finger scrolling. I really have to press the touch pad hard to get 1 finger scrolling, but two fingers works fine, if anything maybe a little bit to sensitive. No tap-select working for me as yet but so far so good.

This old horse keeps surprising me. Just need to get some battery info working and graphics, well that's a lost cause I think. But it's definately usable for teaching the kids the joys of the Mac.

As I type this, the touchpad stopped responding! Thanks goodness for the usb mouse. About to reboot!!

As a further update to my last post, it seems touching any of the secondary mouse/scroll/nipple keys on this laptop, disables the touchpad. Not sure how to revive the touchpad other than reboot. Any ideas? Maybe not so good for the kids given how close these controls are to the trackpad and keyboard.

As a further update to my last post, it seems touching any of the secondary mouse/scroll/nipple keys on this laptop, disables the touchpad. Not sure how to revive the touchpad other than reboot. Any ideas? Maybe not so good for the kids given how close these controls are to the trackpad and keyboard.

Right, I can just confirm it. I did it on ThinPad T30. Works very well! BUT, if you touch some of the additional red nipple control or touch the nipple, you can't move the courser anymore, touchpad stop to respond and have to reboot. Anythink we coud try to disable nipple control.. any idea, please? Otherwise it works very well. We need to fix it on ThinPads.

Not much luck using these instructions on a Dell D830 trackpad. Things install fine, and scrolling is in fact enabled. However, mouse movement is so badly affected that I've had to switch back to the standard driver. With the 2finger driver installed, it is impossible to track smoothly with the trackpad -- the cursor will lurch forward and stall. Even with scrolling turned off, it's still nearly unusable. Playing with the speed scaling didn't seem to change that -- it would track faster when it was moving, but it was still very choppy.

Weirdly, my trackpad is being detected as a Synaptics -- only changing settings in the Synaptics section affected anything -- but Windows detects it as an Alps. :D

So i followed this guide... it didnt work so well... actually it was terrible, and after removing the kext my mouse still not moving as it was before.

How do i uninstall that program? FFScroll im pretty sure its causing the problem

does anyone know how to increase touchpad sensitivity? My mouse moves unbearably slow right now. I already put the sensitivity to the maximum in system preferences (under mouse and keyboard settings). Scrolling works great though! Also, the link in the first post to the guide for changing different settings with ffscroll is broken.

I've tuned the plist to deal perfectly with dell d630.

I'll give the values in your d630 installation guide

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86600

Thanks for this trackpad driver. Difficult to tune but working perfectly.

Hello

I gota little problem with the daemon. I have copied the " FFScrollDaemon directory from the install package to /Library/StartupItems. "

but it didn't launch at startup. I have to launch it in the terminal each time.

what can I do to launch the command each time...

thank for helping Olivier

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, falks.

Could anyone tell me how I can specify the scroll regions in a plist? I want to use one-finger scrolling like in windows and linux...

By the way, I'm using Vostro 1500.

Thanks in advance :P

ok so i just tried this again, and it works great. Using acer 5570 i didnt change any settings i did change sensitviety at first but then figured out that one finger works really well.

Two finger not so well

don't even use it, it is not worth it. if you are not lucky like me, it will fucck your pc up big time

It's because, like you said before, you "did not even install it properly".

Maybe if you followed the instructions, you wouldn't have a "fuccked up pc".

Think about it.

Ok, I have succesfully set up my touchpad. I have copied the plist to both my /system/library/preferences/

and /user/library/preference/

But i have noticed everytime i restart my computer, the plist in my user preferences gets distored into something else and i have to re-copy it from the system folder and run

sudo /usr/local/bin/ffscrolldaemon for it to begin working again?

can anyone hlep me out?