Blu-Ray Wins The Format War!

Special-K

52 posts in this topic

You know, speaking of formats.. What is the difference between CD and DVD -R and +R?

DVDs have a more capacity because they use a smaller pit size and a smaller track pitch than a CD, along with a laser of a smaller wavelength.

DVD+R is the newer of the DVD formats, basically its just a little more reliable than DVD-R; its tracking and speed control resist interference better and its error management system is better.. DVD-R is still around because it has been used the longest.

Blu-Ray wins for 2 reasons:

1. Blu-ray sounds cool, HD-DVD sounds {censored}.

2. Wal-Mart isn't going to sell HD-DVD anymore.

When the worlds largest retailer won't carry your product, you are {censored}ed.

There is no inherent superiority of either format, other than Blu-Ray has better capacity. Oh. A storage device with higher capacity?

Maybe it was a no-brainer all along......

Wow. You are acting like damn schoolgirls. It's a movie format people, not a presidency election...

@bedlight: I'm also in a pissed mood today because my dad took me to this company he does computer consulting for and he does the windows machines which are like two and I have to do the 8 macs (Update to Leo + New Apps) (he said....) | That's not fair, but at least he gives me half the cut. It's also annoying to see those damn idiots saying "There's a kid doing things to the computer" when they can't open a {censored} web browser. I'm only 13, but I don't give a {censored}. Douchebags.

Yeah, I am 14 but people respect me when I am CompTIA A+ Certified and a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.

Yeah, I am 14 but people respect me when I am CompTIA A+ Certified and a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.

lol, I knew it! I never bothered to take my A+ because when I was studying for it, I felt that it was a waste of time. It seemed like it was common knowledge that today's teens should already know and there's my proof :D The MCSE I wrote because the company paid for it. I wouldn't say it's worthless but I feel I could've got to where I am without it. Nuttin to brag about, seems like everyone and their dog has one these days.

I'm not certified to {censored} your older sister but I do anyway... All the time. Not just plain sex either, hot kinky {censored} =D. Put a black light up to her mouth this weekend, you'll feel dirty just looking :D

Blu-Ray wins for 2 reasons:

1. Blu-ray sounds cool, HD-DVD sounds {censored}.

2. Wal-Mart isn't going to sell HD-DVD anymore.

When the worlds largest retailer won't carry your product, you are {censored}ed.

I think you have that backwards. Wal-Mart is dropping HD-DVD because Blu-Ray won. They didn't decide to drop them until after Universal (or was it Warner Brothers?) switched to Blu-Ray

There is no inherent superiority of either format, other than Blu-Ray has better capacity. Oh. A storage device with higher capacity?

Maybe it was a no-brainer all along......

Actually, there was an advantage to HD-DVD, in that producing them only required minor adjustments to existing hardware, while Blu-Ray required new equipment.

Actually, there was an advantage to HD-DVD, in that producing them only required minor adjustments to existing hardware, while Blu-Ray required new equipment.

Yes that's true. In the beginning the main advantage for HD was that it would cost much less for retooling for manufactures.

I'm not certified to {censored} your older sister but I do anyway... All the time. Not just plain sex either, hot kinky {censored} =D. Put a black light up to her mouth this weekend, you'll feel dirty just looking :P

Sounds like me and your mom. By the way, tell her she left her whips and panties here. And she owes me $5!

:D

I think you have that backwards. Wal-Mart is dropping HD-DVD because Blu-Ray won. They didn't decide to drop them until after Universal (or was it Warner Brothers?) switched to Blu-Ray

Well, at what point did Blu-Ray win? It was death by a thousand cuts. I don't think it was truly dead until Toshiba (the major backer) gave up. Toshiba gave up after Wal-Mart.

While I agree with what you say for the "advantage" of HD-DVD, bear in mind there was negligible (perceived) advantage to the consumer. Both new formats were incompatible with existing players. Both new formats were expensive. Both were new and not widely adopted. Consumer doesn't care/appreciate "minor adjustments", its still incompatible & expensive & uncommon.

Consumers were waiting for the winner. Most consumers remember the beta/VHS war. beta was technically a superior format, but where is it now?

I seem to recall that VHS had greater capacity than beta. I see history repeating itself.

I think we could all do without the childish insults...you are how old and want to be treated as an adult? Act older then.

Let's keep on topic...Blu-Ray wins.

One of the other advantages to the more expensive Blu-Ray manufacturing process is the addition of the scratch-resistant coating. The discs are less prone to severe scratches than the thinner coated HD-DVD/DVD process.

The larger capacity is nice...and if computer manufacturers will hurry up and embrace this format with BD-ROM and BD-Recorders then the prices will drop through volume. Imagine a 25GB single-layer BD-R disc of Divx files...entire season of your favorite TV show on 1 disc. Much cheaper than HD space and makes a HTPC (or media center like my PS3) kick ass.

Now that the format has achieved dominance we need to adopt it and show demand, because only demand will lower prices. Not at first of course...any consumer cycle never works that way. But once all manufacturers and studios/developers start producing en masse in competition for the consumer's $$$, the price wars will begin.

Everyone attacks Sony like they were trying to destroy the world or something. They were trying to create a new format that everyone could use, and of course they implemented it into their products. Trying to develop technology like that is only good business sense...no one here has ever run a multi-billion dollar company so we aren't in a position judge. If I developed a new technology or format I'd try like hell to get everyone to use it so I could make $$ every time a unit was sold. Ensures my future. Look at it this way...after all the failures Sony made, they finally have a winner. And their failures have helped fuel development that ultimately benefit who? Us...the consumers.

I'm just glad the format "war" has been settled and now efforts by all involved will be to improve it and create content and hardware for it. Once again, good for us.

Peace

Ahahah very {censored} funny! First off I don't have a sister and if I did she wouldn't {censored} a whore like you.

Blu-Ray had a cooler name. It was bound to dominate.

Best two posts ever.

This must be the final nail in the HD-DVD coffin:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006569.html

I can't recall what HD-DVD had going for it that could place support in its favor other than the HDi Advanced Content engine backed by Microsoft as well as implementation in the XBox 360 console and an overall lower price than the costs of Blu-ray. HD-DVD was also supposed to be region-free I believe, which would mean fewer restrictions, but ultimately Blu-ray was the winner in overall specs, so it's not surprising that it would become the new hi-def standard. Along with Paramount's decision to release Blu-ray titles and cease production of HD-DVD titles, there doesn't seem to be anyone left supporting HD-DVD exclusively.

Sounds like me and your mom. By the way, tell her she left her whips and panties here. And she owes me $5!

:D

Ahahah very {censored} funny! First off I don't have a sister and if I did she wouldn't {censored} a whore like you.

Both of you stop with the personal attacks and mom jokes or I'll come over there and MAKE you stop.... :(