Blu-Ray Wins The Format War!

Special-K

52 posts in this topic

Now anyone who has a HD-DVD Player basically has a $500 brick, SUCKER! but they still will get support from Toshibia. Deep Down inside I knew Blu-Ray would win, it just sounded more appealing to the general public.

EDIT: But Toshibia was the only one that made the players

Blu-Ray player in the PS3 should have gave people a hint, Microsoft's HD-DVD on a separate unit was never going to catch on and improve HD-DVD sales. Sony backing Blu-Ray was a big deal, they make hardware and usually know whats going to be the in thing.

But they're gonna stop. Since Toshiba gave up, they'll all go to Blu-Ray. Nice deduction skills.

I understand that, I think however Blu-Ray wont be as good as expected. Mainly because I have only found one Blu-Ray player and it was I believe $1000+ (Other than the PS3)

Oh and BTW, bedlight; why are you such an a$$ to everyone?

Sony's entry level blu-ray player is only $299, but your right, once it becomes more used, people will pick it apart. "Normal" people haven't adopted any kind of High Def Disk player simply because they wanted to see what the winner is. now that blu-ray has come out has the champ "Normal" people will use it, and they are always the ones to pick holes in things.

Sony's entry level blu-ray player is only $299, but your right, once it becomes more used, people will pick it apart. "Normal" people haven't adopted any kind of High Def Disk player simply because they wanted to see what the winner is. now that blu-ray has come out has the champ "Normal" people will use it, and they are always the ones to pick holes in things.

Yeah, I looked at Wal-Mart about 4 months ago and the Blu-Ray player was I believe 1100$

Blu-Ray player in the PS3 should have gave people a hint, Microsoft's HD-DVD on a separate unit was never going to catch on and improve HD-DVD sales. Sony backing Blu-Ray was a big deal, they make hardware and usually know whats going to be the in thing.

LOLOLOllolol remember Betamax vs. VHS? Yea, Sony really knows whats going to be the in thing, not the consumers/product support.

I understand that, I think however Blu-Ray wont be as good as expected. Mainly because I have only found one Blu-Ray player and it was I believe $1000+ (Other than the PS3)

Your kidding right, you can pick up a blu-ray player for £200 and I've seen some on dabs for £234, yes that about double in USD which makes $468 but It will be cheaper for you because we get changed VAT.

Your kidding right, you can pick up a blu-ray player for £200 and I've seen some on dabs for £234, yes that about double in USD which makes $468 but It will be cheaper for you because we get changed VAT.

That was a couple of months ago, I have not looked lately.

Sony backing Blu-Ray was a big deal, they make hardware and usually know whats going to be the in thing.

I dunno, prior to this, the only other format that caught on for Sony was the CD. They don't have a good track record when it comes to media formats. At best, they only caught on in certain parts of the world. Most notable failure was the Betamax... others are the Minidisc, Memory Stick, UMD, etc... Big hit in Japan but world wide sales weren't very good.

I dunno, prior to this, the only other format that caught on for Sony was the CD. They don't have a good track record when it comes to media formats. At best, they only caught on in certain parts of the world. Most notable failure was the Betamax... others are the Minidisc, Memory Stick, UMD, etc... Big hit in Japan but world wide sales weren't very good.

The UMD and Memory Stick have been great successes!

@Bedlight, Ah... I see.

I've never seen a UMD being used outside of a PSP. Memory Stick usually seems to be geared mostly towards Sony products themselves, but I do see a lot of multi-readers with the MS/Pro/Duo label and port on them (I'm actually looking at one installed on my office computer right now), but Minidisc and UMD never caught on.

And did you really think Sony would even consider not putting their own proprietary format drives in the PS3? C'mon, everyone and their unicorns saw that one coming. I think that with a bit of luck on their side, and the fact that they offered 50GB of storage capacity that Sony's Blu-Ray won the format war. But don't expect this to be a long lasting victory for Sony, because let's say they come out with a new disc/media format in the next 5 to 10 years, I think it might be safe to say that Sony may not be so lucky next time...

Wow. You are acting like damn schoolgirls. It's a movie format people, not a presidency election...

@bedlight: I'm also in a pissed mood today because my dad took me to this company he does computer consulting for and he does the windows machines which are like two and I have to do the 8 macs (Update to Leo + New Apps) (he said....) | That's not fair, but at least he gives me half the cut. It's also annoying to see those damn idiots saying "There's a kid doing things to the computer" when they can't open a {censored} web browser. I'm only 13, but I don't give a {censored}. Douchebags.

MoC: It's not a movie format... It's a media format. There's a big difference. Yes you can stuff an HD movie on a Blu-Ray and probably have LOADS of room left over for goodies and extras, but it can also be used for mass portable data storage. Having one system makes it easier too.

You know, speaking of formats.. What is the difference between CD and DVD -R and +R?

Wow. You are acting like damn schoolgirls. It's a movie format people, not a presidency election...

@bedlight: I'm also in a pissed mood today because my dad took me to this company he does computer consulting for and he does the windows machines which are like two and I have to do the 8 macs (Update to Leo + New Apps) (he said....) | That's not fair, but at least he gives me half the cut. It's also annoying to see those damn idiots saying "There's a kid doing things to the computer" when they can't open a {censored} web browser. I'm only 13, but I don't give a {censored}. Douchebags.

Im 13 too people always underestimate us kids . People wonder why we have money and assume our parents spoil us

Good thing I don't own a next gen DVD player of any sort.

The war is over. Now we just want Apple to support Blu-Ray in OS X, and start putting Blu-ray in iMacs, Macbooks, Mac Pros etc etc.

I can see it now: A $1,500 blu-ray option or some other outrageous price.

Did you expect anything else? Of course people aren't going to treat you like an adult, but it doesn't make them douchebags man.

It was inevitable. The BDA spent a crazy amount of money bribing and cutting exclusivity deals with studios, as well as having a much more elaborate (but not necessarily better) copy protection system. Fortunate for me, the only HD DVD stuff I have is an el cheapo USB drive, and a few free discs. It was cool while it lasted, and will still be useful for playing my current movies and any odd ones I might get from Netflix. Although Netflix is only stocking Blu Ray movies from now on, people forget that they are also keeping their current stock of HD DVDs in rotation, so my drive will still get plenty of use on any older or indie movies that don't make it to Blu Ray.

Now I need to find a cheap USB Blu Ray drive. I love my HTPC! My setup rocks, I've got the computer itself stashed behind the cabinet, and the external drives are on a shelf under the TV.