Acer Travelmate 4202WLMi (Intel Core Duo, oh yes)

EgoDeath

92 posts in this topic

Anybody have any ideas? Lovely experience in the O/S, but no wireless, bluetooth or audio - yet!

10.4.3 8f1111 (ADP) Patched the usual way

Intel Core Duo processor T2300/1.66ghz

Intel 945GM Express Chipset Worked fine from first boot

Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g) Not working

Intel High-Definition audio FIXED - see post below

There are two souls on offer in exchange for any help or pointers, thanks a lot in advance.

And iTunes is 'expired' apparently but we care less about that for the moment.

-------------------------

Edit: Audio Fixed!!

-------------------------

Ok everybody, awesome news: got audio working wonderfully. Well, wonderful in that it works (we don't seem to have any input yet, but volume control on the menu bar - preference pane doesn't work either) with output. I bet you wanna know how we did it eh? Well this is all thanks to pion at osx86 (his original post is here: http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=233&page=15 )

I've also included the file included with the post on that forum.

945G's Realtek ALC882 instructions for 10.4.3 (8f1111)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To get 2- channel sound you have to move AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions Folder and replace the AzaliaAudio with this one, repair permissions and enable sound in the bios.

Installation instructions

----------------------

Download the file

unzip the file to your desktop

open terminal

do the following:

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions.disabled

cp -R /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

then you're done!!!

reboot system

---------

Good luck everyone, let us know how you get on and next step: WIRELESS! Wohoo. Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG here...

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

I almost have the same specifications. Although i have a acer aspire 5672

also

Intel 945GM Express Chipset

Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g)

Intel High-Definition audio (SBPro and MS Sound compatible)

Onboard broadcom 10/100/1000 ethernet(ven14e4 - dev169d)

But non of them is working? someone can help us out?

i have a topic running on it

http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2846

Actually our ethernet is working fine. Just no wifi. Think it may be something to do with everything being on the HD intel bus... but who knows what that means.

your ethernet is working fine? can u tell me what broadcom card u have onboard? and what the id's are?

i have the same laptop and i must say I love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiget 10.4.3 works great and can play 780P with no frame drops :D

the only think i can not get to work it the sound and WiFi :pope:

can you tell me what you did to get the sound to work

and were you able to get the WiFi to work too??? :)

i have the same laptop and i must say I love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiget 10.4.3 works great and can play 780P with no frame drops :D

the only think i can not get to work it the sound and WiFi :pope:

can you tell me what you did to get the sound to work

and were you able to get the WiFi to work too??? :)

Wich one of the laptops do you have? the aspire or the travelmate?

I have a travelmate but without dual core intel processor and still using Intel 915 motherboard. It works well (and still does) even without SSE3. It supports QE and CI (although even after reading it on Apple's site, I don't know what's the point of both except for the eye candy).

I just got my 4202 last night and the first thing I did after getting rid of all the XP {censored} on it was install 10.4.3, it runs beautifully, definitely beyond my expectations, but alas just like above, no wifi or sound. It see's my broadcom NIC but doesn't seem to get an address. I'm looking forward to getting some network access though, this is a great laptop so far.

assuming there is no way to get your current hardware working:

an easy way to fix the sound problem is to get a compatible usb sound card. look on the wiki to see what works.

regarding wifi, look for mini pci or usb alternatives.

I just got my 4202 last night and the first thing I did after getting rid of all the XP {censored} on it was install 10.4.3, it runs beautifully, definitely beyond my expectations, but alas just like above, no wifi or sound. It see's my broadcom NIC but doesn't seem to get an address. I'm looking forward to getting some network access though, this is a great laptop so far.

i have not tried this to fix the sound. i am still new at this so i am reading over and over to make sure i understand it before i try it

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Audio

:whistle:

your ethernet is working fine? can u tell me what broadcom card u have onboard? and what the id's are?

Onboard broadcom 10/100/1000 ethernet(V: 0x14E4h D: 0x170Ch)

Worked from the start..

One thing I did notice, was that my usb apple keyboard would'nt work, yet osx clearly see's my usb. External drives cant be seen either...

Even though there are alternative ways around these hiccups, I still want/need to get the stock h/w working nice.

Anyway good buzz already, lets keep it up! :(

Many thanks.

Ok everybody, awesome news: got audio working wonderfully. Well, wonderful in that it works (we don't seem to have any input yet, but volume control on the menu bar - preference pane doesn't work either) with output. I bet you wanna know how we did it eh? Well this is all thanks to pion at osx86 (his original post is here: http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=233&page=15 )

I've also included the file included with the post on that forum.

945G's Realtek ALC882 instructions for 10.4.3 (8f1111)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To get 2- channel sound you have to move AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions Folder and replace the AzaliaAudio with this one, repair permissions and enable sound in the bios.

Installation instructions

----------------------

Download the file

unzip the file to your desktop

open terminal

do the following:

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions.disabled

cp -R /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

then you're done!!!

reboot system

---------

Good luck everyone, let us know how you get on and next step: WIRELESS! Wohoo. Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG here...

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

just an idea: did you try the airport drivers from 10.4.4? with a modified devid of course.

it could work ...

also one question: do you get QE + CI on the laptop?

I'm assuming you mean Quartz Extreme and Core Image, so yes! Visually everything is very snappy.

osx_graphicsinfo.jpg

I'm assuming you mean Quartz Extreme and Core Image, so yes! Visually everything is very snappy.

Mine aint' working, but that's because i have a ati x1400 in my laptop. It only says vesa3.0 128 mb, and Q&E not supported. :idea:

p.s. with your kext i now i have finally sound :D so thank you!! :idea:

Anybody have any ideas? Lovely experience in the O/S, but no wireless, bluetooth or audio - yet!

10.4.3 8f1111 (ADP) Patched the usual way

Intel 945GM Express Chipset Worked fine from first boot

Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g) Not working

Intel High-Definition audio FIXED - see post below

There are two souls on offer in exchange for any help or pointers, thanks a lot in advance.

And iTunes is 'expired' apparently but we care less about that for the moment.

You should try 10.4.4...probably easy to install on you lappy...

Right, well I am planning on installing 10.4.4, I noticed the upgrade file however, (I like the idea that I can keep my settings and apps easily)

Im hoping there might be a crack for the update sometime..

In the mean time, I was going to buy a wifi usb stick..

Also, anyone know how I can get osx to know its on a laptop? a battery meter would be nice, and I want my processor panel back!! (it was there on the first installation but not on the second) it was cool because it showed my dual cores with a nice graph each on the desktop..

Cheers again

Odd news on the 4202 -- I don't know why I tried, but it seems my wired ethernet card works now -- but only when I'm at the office. I'm wondering if for some reason it just doesn't want to get a DHCP address from my linksys router at home, as stupid as that sounds. Anyway I am posting from a newly downloaded camino universal binary, which is better than where I was a few days ago. I will try statically assigning an IP address at home too.

• 3 weeks later...

I own the Acer 4202 i am absolutly loving it!!

I used the 10.4.4 Install dvd + the 10.4.5 patch from a cartain torrent site, and i must say everything that is working, is working beutifully! (very fast, high xbench score) enough to make me turn my back on Windows xp (though lets face it, it wouldent take much)

only problems for me now are;

no evidence that PCMCIA slot is working (iv tried the 1 netgear card i have.. and no joy, but the pcmcia bus dosent even show in system profiler)

No USB Mass storage devices (ipod, Ext HDD's :) ect.)

WiFi - have gotten used to being teathered by a lan cable though..

My sound inputs (mic/line in)