Widescreen?

Astyanax

21 posts in this topic

Ive just recently installed 10.4.3 with jas's patch. Last night i did some tinkering and got my resolution modded to 1280x1024. Im on a widescreen and everything looks bad, stretched out...etc. I was wondering if any of you guys know how to enable widescreen format? specificly 1440x900 16:10 aspect ratio.

Ive been searching and I did come accross a post (not on this forum) of a guy that enabled 16:9 aspect ratio but didnt say how, which is... useless to say the least..

since you have an nvidia graphics card, and will be limited to VESA 3.0 graphics until more drivers come out, I suggest doing some research on what screen resolutions are supported by the VESA standard. Any other resolution that you put in your boot.plist string will only default to 1024x768 anyway... It might work if you find that VESA supports a certain widescreen resolution and you specify that. :(

Well the one that I am having a problem with is 1680x1050. I can't use that resolution even though it lists as VESA compatible on that Wiki page.

I am using the standard

-x "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" platform=X86PC

command, but no go. And the card is a VESA 2.0 compatible card. Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony Vaio FS315M and normaly in windows I have a resolution 1280x800. I know MacOs x86 doesn't support all resolution, but if I try a resolution from the wiki page with supported resolutions (with VESA in the last collumn) it still doesn't work.

this is my com.apple.boot.plist:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32@60</string>

</dict>

I'm looking to buy a ViewSonic 1440x900 widescreen LCD because my 19" CRT is killing mine eyes. But I can't find anywhere here in the forums or in the wiki where it says that random (or uncommon) resolutions are NOT supported ALL ATI Radeon cards (or other GPUs except nVidia, where it says SOL everywhere). Just a few spotty places that say max 1280x1024 -- but these seem to be blaming VESA 2.0 standards.

Q1: If I buy an ATI AGP or PCI-E card that's supported beyond VESA (meaning QE & CI???) is it likely to support uncommon resolutions? (not that 1440x900 is "uncommon"). The two I have in mind are AGP Mobility 9600 (not much available in low-profile AGP) or PCI-E X1300 or X700. Can anybody verify that they have 1440x900 working on any video card? On what setup? (mobo & video card)

Q2: Might this display over a DVI-to-LCD (no 15-pin VGA) and/or through a DVI/PS2 KVM switch? (such a tall order! :dev: )

I have a Sony Vaio FS315M and normaly in windows I have a resolution 1280x800. I know MacOs x86 doesn't support all resolution, but if I try a resolution from the wiki page with supported resolutions (with VESA in the last collumn) it still doesn't work.

this is my com.apple.boot.plist:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32@60</string>

</dict>

I have almost got the same notebook vaio and the same hardware components! maybe it is because your maximum screen resolution at 15,4" is 1280x800!!!

well I tried to do the exact same thing but with 1280x800x32 and I didn't add @xx and it didn't work - so now I'll try to add @60 or @75 to the resolution! but as I know vesa and x86 it won't work - letting me carry on to fix the problem

besides my sound (I have mac os 10.4.4) and w-lan don't work - do you have any idea how to fix them?

thanks greedyandy

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had anyluck with a ViewSonic VX2025WM Black-Silver 20.1" and GMA950 with ADD2-n card for DVI???? the native resolution of this LCD is 1680x1050 and I'm really thinking about buying it from newegg..but not if it won't work...thanks!!!!