Any MBP purchasers?

cyrana

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone out there had ordered the MBP yet. If so, what is Apple saying the ETA is on your order? Mine was put off until I get my tax return, which should just be a couple of weeks now, so I'm itching to do the submit order on it. ;)

I'm buying my MacBook at our university bookstore. They said I don't have to pay for it til I pick it up. Also, those of you considering buying from Apple directly should take a look at pricegrabber.com because just a few days ago, there was one being sold with a 150 rebate, which took off over $100 because they also didn't charge taxes. Oh, I also noticed that when you go to configure the MBP, the shipping date says 3-4 weeks instead of February.

Amazon.com does have rebates on the MBP currently, I checked today. You just can't do a BTO on the 7200RPM hard drive. The $2499.99 model has a $150 mail-in rebate. Not sure if you escape taxes via Amazon on this item, though. If you do, it'd be a bit cheaper to go that route, and even buy your own replacement 7200RPM drive if you wanted I suppose...they have no ETA, it is just a preorder.

Yeah, I saw the 3-4 weeks today when I did a sample config. I might as well just submit since in 3-4 weeks I'll have already gotten my tax money. :D

Placed by order right after the keynote. Was due to ship on Feb 15 with delivery on the 22?nd.

I called about a week later to ask about adding ram. I asked the rep if making a change to my order would affect ship date. he said no, so I updated the config through the phone.

Next day, ship date slipped to Feb 24 with March 1 delivery. Called back and spoke to a different rep who said the first one was mistaken, but there was no way to revert to the previous setup without bumping the ship date again. So, It looks like I'll be sans-laptop for another couple weeks. :whistle:

I also had a simultaneous order through Amazon, but they're estimating "mid April" so I cancelled it.

Amazon.com does have rebates on the MBP currently, I checked today. You just can't do a BTO on the 7200RPM hard drive. The $2499.99 model has a $150 mail-in rebate. Not sure if you escape taxes via Amazon on this item, though. If you do, it'd be a bit cheaper to go that route, and even buy your own replacement 7200RPM drive if you wanted I suppose...they have no ETA, it is just a preorder.

Yeah, I saw the 3-4 weeks today when I did a sample config. I might as well just submit since in 3-4 weeks I'll have already gotten my tax money. :angry:

It's around 126.00 cheaper to go through Amazon than education IF:

you get Pi()/2 % off (using the A9.com search "coupon") (which I did, around $30.00)

you get the 150.00 off (which I will do if it ever ships)

you get free shipping (as Apple gives free shipping)

Of course, depending on how fast you need it, Amazon may take a long time to ship it. I have no clue when it will ship.

BTW - my card isn't charged until it ships

I also had a simultaneous order through Amazon, but they're estimating "mid April" so I cancelled it.

I have that estimated ship time, but I kind of think it will be sometime in March rather than in April. Plus, if Apple releases a MacTablet Prosumer on April 1st, I can cancel my Amazon order :)

The longer wait nets me a few things:

1) I can see how other people are getting along with the Rev A

2) It gives me some time to try out the PB in the Apple Store

3) I can lock in a good price for a whole month or two, and cancel at my leisure

finally...

4) I need to give an iMac Core Duo 1.8 2.0 a thorough run through with CS and Studio 8 (Flash, Dreamweaver), with my files, my workflow, etc... to see how it compares to my current hardware (Ti 550mhz).

They are shipping now. Also notice that you all got free speed bumps. And, if you do a new order, the new 2.16GHz speed ships in just 1-3 days as a BTO (In the US, although the speed upgrades are worldwide, it might take a day or two for it to show up on global sites).

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/feb/14macbookpro.html

very nice, how did you do that?

Well, I'm not quite there yet for the MacBook, but I could get a free Powerbook right now if I wanted. I am going to wait and obtain a few more referrals for the MacBook instead. Basically it was one of those sites where you obtain referrals and get something for free. Doing these type of freebie sites is a hobby of mine. I can't tell you on this thread how I did it, since it would probably be considered spamming. However, you will probably see my banner ad floating around this site occasionally.

Sounds like the same sort of thing when the 1st gen. Al Powerbooks (12") came out. They seemed to help it a lot by the time the 2nd gen. came out.

From the dissection pictures of the MBP, it didn't seem like there was much heat protection at all inside the case.