Would get a macbookpro asap if I knew these two apps run under darwine

16 posts in this topic

DVD Profiler (http://www.intervocative.com/)

DVD Decrypter (not really that

If anyone knew if these run with wine on os X x86 - that would be great.

thanks.

Could you use Collectorz as a replacement for DVD Profiler? http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

Why not use Mac the Ripper instead of DVD decryptor? http://danslagle.com/blog/?p=54

When I bought my Powermac G5 last year, literally sold my PCs and was forced to find mac compatible replacements for all programs I was using. I made my wife do it too, I got her an iBook.

Just suggestions.

--BrayNShocK

Thanks for the updates. I'll look into everything. In hindsight, I may not even need dvd decryptor - it was just needed to dump my recordings made from those old Philips DVD Recorders (people with the philips recorder know the problems I'm encountering); but I suppose I can just take care of that now before the mac purchase.

Thanks again.

Will graphic intensive apps such as Rhino, 3D-max etc. and other non-Mac but standard apps such as AutoCAD stand a chance under WINE and MacIntels?

Thanks!

There will be performance and (possibly) display issues on some applications which make extensive use of opengl and/or directx within windows. At least until more work has been done on making darwine route that stuff to the mac's display routines at least. However most of that apps SHOULD work as long as you copy the contents of a real windows xp machine's system32 folder to your wine/c_drive/system32 folder. If any of them don't work it's because of said display problems or unusual hardware-direct calls within the software, or possibly the software takes advantage of bugs within windows that don't exist in darwine (it's been known to happen before).

Apparently photoshop 6 works, and I'd bet that newer versions work too as long as the installation is figured out. Most advanced windows apps throw so many files around in so many locations during startup, and require so many third party apps to be installed (including MS stuff like media player and it's dlls, quicktime and it's dlls (on windows version), etc.), that they won't just "install" without a bunch of work being done to your darwine install first. The apps might work eventually, but installing them is sometimes not an easy chore. That's why it's easier (maybe not entirely 100% licensed-legal though) to copy your windows xp system folder(s) to your darwine folder(s) first, and also install other standard windows apps first if needed (like media player 10 or whatever).

Most of what can be installed using that commercial wine implementation (don't recall it's name now) also run under normal wine with more difficulty during installation, and therefore will install on darwine with the same difficulty once darwine implements all of the features that linux-wine does. Currently darwine doesn't quite match linux-wine though, so your mileage may vary.

This is why I put my money on Q. I think it will run more apps more effectively once it's complete, and it's soooooooooooooo close that I'm expecting it to install and run windows xp within days at this rate. This guy is coding new versions by the hour, it's unbelievable. Sit and watch - Q is basically the same thing as vmware as for it's usage on intel osx, it's what many of us have been waiting for. Darwine is great too, but I'm expecting more compatibility from Q.

Is the X11 subsystem on MacOS X as accelerated as the Aqua portion? I was't sure if they had the same OpenGL performance on both sides. If not, then it's going to suck until we get something like Darwine Aqua.

This is why I put my money on Q. I think it will run more apps more effectively once it's complete, and it's soooooooooooooo close that I'm expecting it to install and run windows xp within days at this rate. This guy is coding new versions by the hour, it's unbelievable. Sit and watch - Q is basically the same thing as vmware as for it's usage on intel osx, it's what many of us have been waiting for. Darwine is great too, but I'm expecting more compatibility from Q.

Am I wrong or isn't Q an emulator, hence speed drops?... WINE Is Not an Emulator, though, and as such, all apps should run at their native speeds (if they run)... Am I mistaken?

Hearing that Photoshop 6 works under darwine is great news! Hoping for the best!

Will graphic intensive apps such as Rhino, 3D-max etc. and other non-Mac but standard apps such as AutoCAD stand a chance under WINE and MacIntels?

Thanks!

Any item that taxes a system's resources will take a hit under emulation.

As for the initial post, there are multiple free programs for the Mac that will do the same job as DVD profiler.

For ripping a DVD, I use MacTheRipper and after that, I use HandBrake Lite to convert the ripped DVD for iPod video. Both apps are free.

Any item that taxes a system's resources will take a hit under emulation.

Emulation? Are we not talking of something Which Is Not an Emulator.

I am getting confused...

in other words:

Doesn't darwine make direct use of the intel chip's resources, rather than emulating? Sure, there must be a certain amount of 'translation' causing some sort of speed drop, but surely not nearly as much as virtualPC et al.?

or:

What would be the difference between something like virtualPC, Q, and WINE?

:dev:

• 2 weeks later...
Emulation? Are we not talking of something Which Is Not an Emulator.

I am getting confused...

in other words:

Doesn't darwine make direct use of the intel chip's resources, rather than emulating? Sure, there must be a certain amount of 'translation' causing some sort of speed drop, but surely not nearly as much as virtualPC et al.?

or:

What would be the difference between something like virtualPC, Q, and WINE?

^_^

There are still issues that come from a "layer/emulation/translation." Done on the fly, you won't notice it with a word processor, but you'll notice it on anything that taxes the processor. Plus Darwine needs to work with PPC Macs also, meaning endian issues that have to be resolved via some kind of emulation. There's no other way around it. Plus, I haven't seen any native support for graphics cards, but I reserve the right to be wrong here.

Virtual PC works by pretending to be an x86 processor with "Intel Integrated Graphics" (boo hiss). Windows gets installed on top of this emulation layer, which means performance hit. Again, not noticeable in a word processor, but horrible when it comes to taxing tasks. And there's that graphics card non-support (even supporting Ye Olde Rage Card in iMac G3's would be an improvement).

Q I can't comment on, because I've never used it.

Virtual PC works by pretending to be an x86 processor with "Intel Integrated Graphics" (boo hiss).

That's just how it works on a Mac. VPC for Windows discards the processor emulation for native performance levels with relatively minor virtualization slowdowns. What's needed is something like that for Intel Macs. Q will probably be the first, since they're already close on the emulation, and they're getting closer with the accelerator kernel extension (which will discard the redundant processor emulation tasks of having an Intel CPU emulating an Intel CPU, as it does now) for much better performance.

I have no interest in seeing any of these (including WINE) work on powerpc, in large part because there are already-available solutions that provide performance as good as it's ever going to get on that architecture. The gaping hole is *native* windows performance on a Mac, and that will only ever happen with Intel. That there currently isn't a single workable solution on Intel Macs emphasizes Intel solutions as the critical missing piece, regardless of PPC desires.