XBMC on OS X! Leopard and Intel Only.

Torell

62 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER. Elan (the guy's name) asks that you do not mention anything about Hackintoshes on his website (http://www.osxbmc.com) obviously due to legality and he wants to stay on the good side of Apple, even keeping track of hardware sales.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this yet, or that it hasn't been posted to Front page news yet. I stumbled across it when I was troubleshooting my original xbox with the new SVN release.

A very talented programmer has ported XBMC to Leopard, and just released version 0.1.2 which features dual core support for H264 playback. I've tested version 0.1.1 on my recent hackintosh and it works beautifully at full screen as well. You have no idea the amount of excitement I had when this program loaded up! In his blog he mentions that 1080p videos have shown improvement on the Mac Mini! I know that once this project matures I will definitely be buying a Mac Mini to put in my Home Theater setup.

Some interesting things people should know (but make sure you read first before you ask):

-Virtual File Systems works, which means you can play video files from rar files, subtitles work as well

-Playing ISO images of DVDs does not work at the moment (i don't think, haven't tried it myself)

-SMB doesn't work at the moment, mount network drive, then point XBMC to it

-Open keymap.xml for keyboard hotkeys

-Issues with playback using newer X3100 integrated graphics

-Dual monitor support (able to offload playback to second monitor)

Here's the FAQ

http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

well going by that criteria this news should just make most windows users jealous

(it's already being ported to Linux)

back on topic: RIP Front Row? what, too soon? lol

oh and once this gets SMB support, I'm taking the xbox out of my home theater setup and probably just going to leave it in a bedroom

come on...... Front Page News!!!

i'll try and help but the forums is where you should look for support

release 0.1.3.2 got released this project is moving along nicely, looks like he added SMB support now

AND mouse support!!!

for skins, in the applications folder, navigate to the icon, right click, -> show package contents -> contents -> resources -> here you will find the skins folder and other useful files like user data folder which contains the keymap.xml file for keyboard shortcuts

i'm not too sure about the font issue with weather, check the official blog, maybe the most recent font issue fixes your issue.

edit: i've got the same issues, maybe it'll be fixed soon

maybe not a front row replacement yet, but once someone posts how to auto load it on boot, and adds ir support for the front row remote, we'll see if people will still use front row

does front row play all the different formats that ffmpeg does?

Please completely ignore my previous writing, I was being a n00b. You can set stuff to run at startup in the Accounts pref pane, as I just remembered.

I am surprised to see that I cannot find any info on Google on how to make programs load at startup on OS X...thats like the only feature OS X lacks that windows has.

EDIT: I found something...using cron to make apps run at startup:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...041105070509783

Updated: 0.1.4 Released

Summary

-X3100 issues fixed!

-Scroll support with mouse

-Font issue fixed

-Audio output isn't stuck in digital anymore

Surprise: Apple REMOTE now has basic support!!!

ok.... seriously.... Front Page now? or I'm just going to keep bumping this thread with amazing updates.

like always, full detail of updates found at http://www.osxbmc.com/