Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

Read the topic by MacGirl here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83039

I think that it covers everything that you need to get these working

I've read the opening post of that thread five or six times in the past several weeks. I can't figure what about it applies to my situation. My install is pretty much to the letter of the OP in this thread.

Should I be following the topics that talk about: battery, speedstep, sleep, S3? I think they're all somehow related. But the opening post in the MacGirl thread is too confusing as it jumps around a whole bunch. Not to mention that the thread is now 1000+ posts long - many of them say "hi, I just joined here and was wondering...".

Can you (or anyone) provide some more guidance about getting sleep to work?

Sweet! Got sleep working now. Just installed the package linked in the first post you provided. Restarted. Sleep works fine. Haven't tried the clamshell fix, not concerned about that right now.

I would like to get the battery meter working. Can you deep-link me on that one too?

Thanks!

Hi timeshifter,

No offense but if you really want to be able to cope with subsequent problems after any update of your Leo,

you should get your hands dirty by trying different approaches :)

I quote again MacGirl's post:

If it won't work, check other threads that cope with battery status. I can't be more specific since I didn't logged what I tried to do when installing

all these features.

Hi,

if you have the wifi Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG you cannot use it with OS X. You can try this driver, but no WEP or WPA support is planned (so, it's useless for me...).

The good news is you can buy from ebay the Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini PCI Express card (it's supported like Airport Third Party Wireless Card) and install it into the WPAN Mini PCI Express slot (usually it's empty). I'm using the 3945 with Windows and Linux, the 1390 with OS X.

Good luck :wacko:

I'm doing the same exact thing (two mini PCI Express wireless cards)The vostro has 3 pairs of wires... which ones are suposed to go with which slot? I guess I should look up the Dell manual... I'll report back

UPDATE:

manual here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/en/index.htm

As long as the blue and grey are together, and the solid white and solid black are paired, I dont think it matters which ones you use... they all go into the monitor anyway.

Getting the Dell 1395 working is pretty easy, once you know how :)

Just use nano or vi in the Terminal

edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist (as root, of course)

and insert this extra line into the array for the IONameMatch under Broadcom 802.11 PCI

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

so the block of manufacturer and model IDs looks like this:

<array>
                               <string>pci106b,4e</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4311</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4312</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4313</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4315</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4318</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4319</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,431a</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4320</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4324</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4325</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4328</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432b</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432c</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432d</string>
                       </array>

Once you've added this line, just save the file and delete all the usual caches pertaining to kexts (I'm not going into this here as there are a million places to find this documented)

After you reboot, the little WiFi light comes on and you have a new Airport device to configure in the Network pane of System Preferences.

Have fun.

(perhaps this is obvious, but if you install any Apple updates that update Airport, you'll have to do this little hack all over again, as it will be wiped out if IO80211Family.kext is replaced)

This truly is a fab thread!!!! I have a Vostro 1500 and thanks to all posters, it's all working except restart, sleep, shutdown AND wireless.

I really want to get AirPort working. It's the Dell 1395 MiniPCI Card - or at least that's what's on my order confirmation. I've done as instructed by M.Carson above, but it still won't work. To clear the kext caches i run 'rm /System/Library/Extensions.*' as root in the terminal, then used disk utility to fix permissions and reboot, but it won't start AirPort.

The above has obviously worked for others with the same wireless h/w as mine, maybe I'm doing something wrong ... I checked the thread for newer posts - there're quite a few, but I couldn't find anything relating to Dell 1395.

Is anyone else having the same issue???

EDIT:

It's now working :) , but I didn't change anything :) . I think it must have finally refreshed the cache, I was most likely doing it wrong. Upon further examination the only file I have in System/Library/ with name starting 'Extensions.' (apart from the Extensions folder) is Extensions.mkext - I thought it was called extensions.kextcache? Actually I did run the System profiler (About this Mac -> More Info) to find the device name, which may have triggered something to kick it into life. AirPort Card etc was all blank - well it wasn't working was it, but it is now :) .

Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this site, I hope my confused ramblings help someone.

Total noob here:

I'm trying to Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a Vostro 1500. I've search and searched and searched for an answer to this, doing over 100 searches, and I haven't found anybody who has anything constructive to say about this issue. Please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Surely if this issue has been addressed a hundred bazzilion times, it should be easy for someone to find the answer?

This issue:

- Booting from the DVD to do the initial install

- Hard Drive has been wiped

- Using a normal Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Have tried re-burning it 16 times, using 7 different programs (no change). The disc boots further (into language options) on a buddy's Acer laptop.

- Have tried different boot options (-v, -f-v, -x, -x-v, -s, -s-x-v, -s-v-x-f.......etc)

EVERY TIME IT BOOTS UP TO THE SAME LINE:

------------------------------------------------------------------

MAC Framework sucessfully insitialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

[] <solid white block

Then it freezes. Every.single.time.

Please please please throw me a bone here, I've avoided posting for 4 days, but I can't lurk fruitlessly forever.

Why not just go with iatkos ir2 like most ppl here. The guide is in the first post of this thread and its pretty straightforward.

Kalyway didn't work for me either.

Total noob here:

I'm trying to Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a Vostro 1500. I've search and searched and searched for an answer to this, doing over 100 searches, and I haven't found anybody who has anything constructive to say about this issue. Please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Surely if this issue has been addressed a hundred bazzilion times, it should be easy for someone to find the answer?

This issue:

- Booting from the DVD to do the initial install

- Hard Drive has been wiped

- Using a normal Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Have tried re-burning it 16 times, using 7 different programs (no change). The disc boots further (into language options) on a buddy's Acer laptop.

- Have tried different boot options (-v, -f-v, -x, -x-v, -s, -s-x-v, -s-v-x-f.......etc)

EVERY TIME IT BOOTS UP TO THE SAME LINE:

MAC Framework sucessfully insitialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

[] <solid white block

Then it freezes. Every.single.time.

Please please please throw me a bone here, I've avoided posting for 4 days, but I can't lurk fruitlessly forever.

Ok, I got everything to work except the wireless. I checked the box, but I have no wireless. I don't know if it would cause a problem, but I also have an Intel 3945 alongside the Dell 1390. The network manager says that it has airport, but it is turned off, and it will not turn on. The taskbar says that I have no airport card. Can someone help me?

iAtkos is the only version which works on my DELL Vostro 1500. All other (kalyway, JaS) do not boot properly on DVD.

I could install iAtkos v1.0r3 without any special boot parameters. The only thing I had was to set the HDD to ATA mode in BIOS to let OSx recognize my HDD.

Next step to do is to modify my GRUB I have on a Linux partition. ATM, I can only start OSx by booting the iAtkos DVD.

Where to download? I think it's like against the rules to answer that here. Try googling it or something. I don't know how much is against the rules. I know there's a topic stickied about this.

iAtkos is the only version which works on my DELL Vostro 1500. All other (kalyway, JaS) do not boot properly on DVD.

I personally had good luck with the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. It set up my machine with no problem. It didn't get the proper video (I was able to get full screen resolution, just not Quartz Extreme) or sound drivers, and I'm not sure about the wired Ethernet, but WiFi and the built-in webcam worked immediately after installation.

Since I didn't have anything really permanent in my Mac OS installation, I've been playing with others. I tried Leo4Allv3, but that was problematic. It took several attempts just to get it booted. I finally did get it installed, but it wasn't as easy as Kalyway.

I just tried the latest iAtkos DVD this afternoon. It seemed to work well, but didn't give me sound.

I'm still trying to find the best combination of things to make the system most functional and least compromised. I've gotten to the point where I can get most things working well, but I don't get QE, so I lose out on a bunch of multimedia functionality. If I set up NVinject, then I lose the ability to restart/shutdown the system without having to use the power switch. Plus, I've not yet mastered SpeedStep and power management, but that is rather easily fixable.

My goal is to have my system as vanilla as possible, but I fear that my goal is counter to the reality necessary to fix some of the issues laid out.

Which steps could/should I leave out or do differently if I am not interested in dual-booting. I've a spare HD so I want to make things as easy as possible.

Thanks!

I'm excited to try this out!

UPDATE: forget I asked...I'm an idiot for not reading the entire post :)

If I set up NVinject, then I lose the ability to restart/shutdown the system without having to use the power switch.

Just to add to this, I managed to set up an EFI string for the 8600M GT card and the system boots up with full video functionality without the need for NVinject, although there is this new two minute pause during boot-up that I haven't tracked down yet. Also, the system still won't restart or shutdown properly, so it's not NVinject's fault, but a problem somewhere else.

THANKS FOR THE GUIDE!

I'm posting from within OSX on my Dell, what coolness.

One problem though, I was unable to do the update step that was referred to...but now that I get looking, that may be because my copy of iatkos came with it slipstreamed...

I need a little guidance:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.2.0

Boot Volume: OSX

Boot Mode: Normal

Does this mean I should skip the combo update and kernel steps and proceed to get the Graphics Update?

Thanks again!

...now to wait until my Intel 4965 Wireless Card is supported :P

So what's the benefit of using and EFI string if it doesn't help boot-up or anything like that?

Instead of using something like NVinject or something else similar to that, you actually plug that data in yourself and don't need the kext to do that. It does make your computer more like a "real mac" and saves you the hassle of updating the injector or worrying about if something else will screw with it.