• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

Quizy101

Quizy101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Guys,I have to say I followed the guide and everyone worked liked promised, thank you so much Hexadecimal for your very informative guide. I also got the battery meter back but not being able to shutdown, reboot or sleep is a pain in the neck, let us know if someone figures it out. Again Thanks!!Hey Guys,I have to say I followed the guide and everyone worked liked promised, thank you so much Hexadecimal for your very informative guide. I also got the battery meter back but not being able to shutdown, reboot or sleep is a pain in the neck, let us know if someone figures it out. Again Thanks!!

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
From what macgirl told me, the problems with the reboot/shutdown are due to the NV* kexts. If you remove them, the reboot/shutdown work, but you lose QE/CI.

If anyone finds the properly working NV kexts, I do hope they'd share the findings. ;)

PS. Not sure if sleep will ever work.

Ericb410

Ericb410

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just finished the install, works great... just a few things, it is important that when you are using the gparted live cd, that when you go to flag your leopard partition for boot, you uncheck the boot box, then go back in and recheck the boot box, I got hung up here for about an hour and even reinstalled once. Also, I ran into a problem after putting a office 2007 disk in by accident (windows disk) I am not sure if the disk is related, but the cd drive kept spinning and the only way to stop it was to do a hard shut down, which I did, but then the darwin boot loader wouldn't work anymore, I tried rewriting permissions through the install disk and disk utilities, but a simple fix was to just reinstall the boot loaders.

Also.. what is everyone's average time on the white apple screen during start up? mine is about 3-4 minutes, anyone else experiencing this long of a wait?

nervegrind3r

nervegrind3r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
hey all, I will probably be buying a vostro 1500 today, and want to install osx. Should I have any major issues with the hardware I picked out? I am most curious about the wireless card, bluetooth, and web camera option I have selected:

Vostro 1500 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Professional

LCD Panel 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife (1680x1050)

Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ roxio Creator

Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Wireless Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card

Bluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), WinXP

Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

thanks for any feedback

Ericb410

Ericb410

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just adding some of the "bugs" I have encountered so far with my install... some ofcourse have been mentioned here but I will mention them anyway...

Battery Meter... tried installing the new bundle and editing the ktext, but once I went to save the ktext it said I didn't have permission to do action even after i enabled read/write in get info for the file.

Screen Saver- Screen saver is currently set to start at 3 minutes, takes about 20 minutes to start and it doesn't require a password like I have checked off.

Shut Down- Known issue... we will have to wait for a fix...

Boot Time- My computer seems to spend a longer then usual time on the white apple screen about 3-4 minutes.

If anyone has fixes to this problems for the vostro please let me know.. thanks

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

hey all, I will probably be buying a vostro 1500 today, and want to install osx. Should I have any major issues with the hardware I picked out? I am most curious about the wireless card, bluetooth, and web camera option I have selected:

From what I've read the Intel WiFi card won't work, but you can pick a broadcom one on ebay for next to nothing.
Bluetooth (355) works, however there's no option on the menu to switch it off. The WebCam works, however on the system I've seen it looks like it's way below 2 megapixel, looks like it's a cheapo webcam from last century.

stanzilla

stanzilla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
thank you so much Hexadecimal ,
i follow your guild i got my Vostro 1500 working.
i have been try a few times install in difference partition but none can boot Leopard
finally wipe all partition and install partition 1, and Leopard can boot up :(
Right now restore my old xp to partition 2 .
using Darwin boot loader and i can dual boot fine

hey all, I will probably be buying a vostro 1500 today, and want to install osx. Should I have any major issues with the hardware I picked out? I am most curious about the wireless card, bluetooth, and web camera option I have selected:Vostro 1500 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)Operating System Genuine Windows XP ProfessionalLCD Panel 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife (1680x1050)Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web CameraMemory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GTHard Drive 120GB 5400RPM Hard DriveOptical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ roxio CreatorIntegrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and ModemWireless Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini CardBluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), WinXPPrimary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatterySound Card High Definition Audio 2.0thanks for any feedback

i have almost same spec
difference is i have 1400x900 screen
and 3G RAM
my wireless card (the 1390 one), and web camera work, bluetooth(havent test)
sound card cant mute(known issue)
shutdown (known issue)

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

sound card cant mute(known issue)

It sure can. Use HDA Patcher version 1.18 and the patch/kext from the attached file. Not sure if it'll work on Kalyway, but it should on iAtkos/Vanilla installation.

Attached Files

Pnut500000

Pnut500000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Had to give this thread a quick bump to keep it alive. Any updates for anyone?

My inspiron 1520 mute button shows on screen that it works, but it doesnt actually mute sounds. I haven't tried version 1.18 of the HDA Patcher, but I'm still content as of now. Hopefully there will be a fix on the reboot/shutdown and even possibly sleep soon. Has anyone done any comparisons of operating temps in OSX vs Windows? I dont know if i'm just overly concerned, but I feel like the laptop is warmer and the fan is running less. Its probably just me.

Very good thread. Lets keep it going.

huntz

huntz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How to add a second display/screen to your Vostro/OSX

Disclaimer:
this little guide is made for Dell Vostro, but you can use the same procedure with other hardware (you must have a Nvidia video card).

The problem:
you have a working OSX installation (with QE/CI) but when you plug the VGA cable then you go to System Preferences > Displays > Detect Displays all goes black (the main screen - laptop - and the second one) and your computer will freeze.

The solution:
if you are using the NVinject kext to load the graphic drivers you have to remove it and use the NVinjectGo instead. Then, you have to find your correct NVCAP string. NVCAP is a string present into the info.plist of your NVinjectGo kext. The wrong string used, makes your notebook crash.
To get your NVCAP, you have to download the nvflash utility, reboot in DOS (nvflash will not work correctly from Windows) then run:
# nvflash --save video.rom
Keep the video.rom file and come back to OSX; with the NVCAP Maker application and the video.rom file you can generate your NVCAP string.
When you have the NVCAP string, open the info.plist file from your NVinjectGo with Property List Editor and replace your correct value here Root > IOKitPersonalities > NVinject > entriesToAdd > NVCAP.
You have to use Property List Editor (an utility from the xcode suite) or PlistEditPro to edit the info.plist file; other plain text editors will not work.
Repair permissions, reboot with -f -v flags and you will have a working second screen. :)

Software used into this how to:
  • NVinjectGo - link
  • nvflash - link
  • boot in DOS problem? (go to BOOTABLE CD paragraph) - link
  • NVCAP Maker - link
  • xcode - link
  • PlistEditPro - link
Notes:
I have a 8600 GS with 256mb, only VGA output.

Thanks to this post for the initial idea.

yeye

yeye

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
hello,
what does that do if we don't have any support of QE/CI?

Furthermore, on my vostro with bluetooth 355 DELL, I can't link my mouse with my computer. Do you have the same problem?

thanks

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

what does that do if we don't have any support of QE/CI?

Well, if you follow instructions in the first post here, you will get QE/CI (but will lose restart/shutdown).

Furthermore, on my vostro with bluetooth 355 DELL, I can't link my mouse with my computer. Do you have the same problem?

Is it only mouse you're having problems with? Are you sure it's a bluetooth, not just a regular wireless mouse? What's the make/model?

yeye

yeye

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I've also tried to send file to an other imac and that works, but couldn't receive file from the same apple imac.

My mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

I've also tried to send file to an other imac and that works, but couldn't receive file from the same apple imac.

My mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

there was a post about Dell BT 350 module that once it was used under Vista it doesn't work properly under Mac OS X (Vista driver sets some profile so that the mice will work in the BIOS, before the OS loads), not sure if it affects 355 cards, but you might want to research that.

ryhoo2

ryhoo2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Vostro 1500 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Professional

LCD Panel 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife (1680x1050)

Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ roxio Creator

Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Wireless Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card

Bluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), WinXP

Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

thanks for any feedback

Do NOT choose Wireless Intel 3945 card! It won't work. Instead choose Dell 1390 or Dell 1490. They work out of the box.

phil a meant

phil a meant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
HELP! I've followed this guide, but my system hangs during boot!

My specs:

Vostro 1500
2gb Ram
160 Gb HD
x3100
Dell 1395

Using the iAtkosir2, I ran Disk Utility and partitioned exactly as indicated (one free space, one HFS+ MBR). Installed using EFI & Broadcom and then flagged as bootable with Gparted Live CD.

When booting, though, my system hangs right after loginwindow loads. Sometimes it hangs at a spotlight error ":No index found". . . I'm getting rather frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

ergo911

ergo911

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey

How are your touchpads working....
i hava a problem with tapping, buttons work.
How i can make it work?
And saddly i have the intel wifi so.. no wifi for me ;(

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
To those of you with the Intel Wifi or 1395 cards that won't work with iatkosir2/Leopard...

Go to ebay and buy an old Dell 1390 card... It'll cost you $10 and it's easy to pop/swap right in your system... two screws, two connections and it just snaps right into place... works great.

phil a meant

phil a meant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Never Mind. . . Got it figured out! Turns out the x3100 is somewhat flaky with OSX86, so the first time booting, the screen goes black. You need to unplug the AC, close the lid and let it sit for 11 minutes. After 11 minutes, open it up and the screen should come on. When on the desktop, set it to 'Never' sleep and make one of the corners a 'hot corner' for display sleep. Everytime you boot, you have to go mouse to and from the 'sleep' corner in order to get the display to turn on.

It works GREAT! I only have one problem now (got the 1395 Wifi working). . .Although the audio will work with the patch in this thread, it seems to cause some appz to crash (most notably, Logic Pro). I really would like to get the audio working, or at least have a convenient way to turn it on and off . . . I haven't found any way yet : (

yeye

yeye

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
does somebody know how to fix shutdown/reboot/sleep problem with the kernel?
It would be perfect to have those functions working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy