Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

hello,

what does that do if we don't have any support of QE/CI?

Furthermore, on my vostro with bluetooth 355 DELL, I can't link my mouse with my computer. Do you have the same problem?

thanks

what does that do if we don't have any support of QE/CI?

Well, if you follow instructions in the first post here, you will get QE/CI (but will lose restart/shutdown).

Furthermore, on my vostro with bluetooth 355 DELL, I can't link my mouse with my computer. Do you have the same problem?

Is it only mouse you're having problems with? Are you sure it's a bluetooth, not just a regular wireless mouse? What's the make/model?

I've also tried to send file to an other imac and that works, but couldn't receive file from the same apple imac.

My mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

there was a post about Dell BT 350 module that once it was used under Vista it doesn't work properly under Mac OS X (Vista driver sets some profile so that the mice will work in the BIOS, before the OS loads), not sure if it affects 355 cards, but you might want to research that.

hey all, I will probably be buying a vostro 1500 today, and want to install osx. Should I have any major issues with the hardware I picked out? I am most curious about the wireless card, bluetooth, and web camera option I have selected:

Vostro 1500 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

LCD Panel 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™ (1680x1050)

Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ roxio Creator

Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Wireless Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card

Bluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), WinXP

Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

thanks for any feedback

Do NOT choose Wireless Intel 3945 card! It won't work. Instead choose Dell 1390 or Dell 1490. They work out of the box.

HELP! I've followed this guide, but my system hangs during boot!

My specs:

Vostro 1500

2gb Ram

160 Gb HD

x3100

Dell 1395

Using the iAtkosir2, I ran Disk Utility and partitioned exactly as indicated (one free space, one HFS+ MBR). Installed using EFI & Broadcom and then flagged as bootable with Gparted Live CD.

When booting, though, my system hangs right after loginwindow loads. Sometimes it hangs at a spotlight error ":No index found". . . I'm getting rather frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

To those of you with the Intel Wifi or 1395 cards that won't work with iatkosir2/Leopard...

Go to ebay and buy an old Dell 1390 card... It'll cost you $10 and it's easy to pop/swap right in your system... two screws, two connections and it just snaps right into place... works great.

Never Mind. . . Got it figured out! Turns out the x3100 is somewhat flaky with OSX86, so the first time booting, the screen goes black. You need to unplug the AC, close the lid and let it sit for 11 minutes. After 11 minutes, open it up and the screen should come on. When on the desktop, set it to 'Never' sleep and make one of the corners a 'hot corner' for display sleep. Everytime you boot, you have to go mouse to and from the 'sleep' corner in order to get the display to turn on.

It works GREAT! I only have one problem now (got the 1395 Wifi working). . .Although the audio will work with the patch in this thread, it seems to cause some appz to crash (most notably, Logic Pro). I really would like to get the audio working, or at least have a convenient way to turn it on and off . . . I haven't found any way yet : (

I too was able to get pretty much everything working on my new 1500. I just want to thank all of you here for all the help and great posts!

the only things that aren't fully functional is Shutdown/reboot/sleep, and as mentioned above about the 11 minute procedure, i now have to zip the mouse into a corner to bring the desktop up! but hey, got this 1500 off of dell for $399, and it makes a slick dual boot Macbook!

if anyone figures out how to fix the shutdown, I'd like to fix that. But thanks again!

Just FYI, I fix the audio issue I was having. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, though, but I THINK that it was running Leopard Cache Cleaner and 'deep cleaning' ALL caches and running all the routine maintainance, as well. I did this after running the audiofix and no longer have any audio issues of note (well, mute still doesn't work and I haven't tried the line-in but I think it works). . .

Now I just want sleep to work (I can live without the battery indicator, although I'm sure I could get it working).

What is the best way to back up the system so that it can be quickly restored? Can I boot OSX86 on the Vostro 1500 from an external drive?

Hi all..

Lovely thread for vostro 1500 users... Thanks!

i have a Vostro 1500 and everything seems to work fine.

SHUT DOWN fixed by deleting Nvidia Kexts... after deleting kernel panics and no shut downs are gone. Still keep my CI and QE in X3100. Sleep trick.

SLEEP works ok today, dont know how, but yesterday no wake up, but today after a fresh installation is waking up perfectly .....

SOUND works but to input audio as described.

The only issue im experiencing is with the Broadcom 440x, i can surf on the internet without any issue, but when i open azureus all internet traffic stop and even azureus stops working, i have reinstalled everything but still getting the same... is anybody experiencing the same issue?? Im running Kalyway 10.5.2 with kernel update from atm on my laptop. Can anybody help me with this?

Other thing is about the Bluetooth 355, after long time trying to enable it in Vista, XP.. disable and enable in BIOS.. this evening i give a further step and went to see if it was on the Laptop and i remove the hinge tap

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...h.htm#wp1179838

and theres no BT 355 as suposed. Coul be in any other place ??? i have spend a lot of time trying to enable it and in BIOS looks like its nothing on the hardware....

Thanks for everything.. and if i could help i will do it!!

:D

Final Cut Studio 6.02? Anyone have it working correctly on their Vostro 1500? I am running the Vanilla Kernel on a Kalyway 10.5.2 Install. I think I'm getting crashes because of the NVinject. I have the 8600M GT with 256mb ram. Does anyone have instructions on how to insert the string for this card in EFI? Will that help? Literally everything else is working great on this Vostro right now (well, except for sleep, shutdown and battery meter)

Thanks!

Hi all..

Lovely thread for vostro 1500 users... Thanks!

SHUT DOWN fixed by deleting Nvidia Kexts... after deleting kernel panics and no shut downs are gone. Still keep my CI and QE in X3100. Sleep trick.

SLEEP works ok today, dont know how, but yesterday no wake up, but today after a fresh installation is waking up perfectly .....

Im running Kalyway 10.5.2 with kernel update from atm on my laptop

I REALLY want to get sleep working on this thing but have had NO luck! What installation method did you use? iAtkosir2? Which kernel are you using (I don't recognize 'atm'- I'm using the Netkas kernel and have tried the sleep shutdown fix 9.2.0 and the speedstep).

Interestingly, I have only once or twice seen the kernel panic at shutdown/restart. It usually works without fail! But I really would love to get sleep working to conserve battery life without having to constantly shut down. . .

I REALLY want to get sleep working on this thing but have had NO luck! What installation method did you use? iAtkosir2? Which kernel are you using (I don't recognize 'atm'- I'm using the Netkas kernel and have tried the sleep shutdown fix 9.2.0 and the speedstep).

Interestingly, I have only once or twice seen the kernel panic at shutdown/restart. It usually works without fail! But I really would love to get sleep working to conserve battery life without having to constantly shut down. . .

Hi there...

im running vanilla kernel from the combo kernel update, i did a kalyway installation with only the kernel and the mbr optiones selected. After that i have been booting with mach_kernel.vanilla until i install X3100 kext...

if u want me to post any kext.. i will do it...

Cheers

Hi there...

im running vanilla kernel from the combo kernel update, i did a kalyway installation with only the kernel and the mbr optiones selected. After that i have been booting with mach_kernel.vanilla until i install X3100 kext...

if u want me to post any kext.. i will do it...

Cheers

Thanks for your response. I installed with iAtkosir2, since I couldn't get Kalyway 10.5.1 to install for some reason. Is there a guide to installing it on this laptop? Does it work with the x3100, or does one need an external monitor to install it? Do both cores of your CPU work?

I have everything except for the battery meter and sleep working. I would really like sleep, but am reluctant to start again from scratch. . . . It's interesting, though, since Kalyway lets my badaxe2 hackintosh sleep wheras no other install did. . . It would be cool if I could get it working on the Vostro without doing a complete reinstall!

Well I tried iATKOS R2 on my Vostro 1500 but I have the blinking cursor error on boot.

I am tryin to find a copy of Equates R3 patch to try and fix this, but MediaFire is down.

Has anyone else had any success with iATKOS R3 on a Vostro 1500?

Thanks I will give that a shot, will it work even though i installed the Darwin EFI bootloader?

Btw, I have tried setting the boot flag on the partition already via GParted but that did not fix it.

Edit: Every command failed... :soldiers:

./guid/booth1: No such file or directory

./guid/boot0: No such file or directory

./startupfiletool: No such file or directory

Edit 2:

I used:

1. Boot with the DVD

2. Press F8, then type "-s" (this will start some kind of a rescue shell)

3. type "cd /usr/standalone/i386"

4. type "dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1" (where X is the disk number and Y is the partition number on which you installed Leo, in your case it should read /dev/rdisk0s1)

5. type "dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 (where X is again the disknumber, in your case: /dev/disk0)

6. type "reboot" and take out the DVD, your system should now be able to boot from the hard disk.

And now its booted into leopard!! I got the welcome screen at least, but no sound.

Edit 3:

Leopard now works, Awesome!

But no wireless internet, i cannot enable Airport. Anyone know how?

Edit 3:

Leopard now works, Awesome!

But no wireless internet, i cannot enable Airport. Anyone know how?

Hi,

if you have the wifi Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG you cannot use it with OS X. You can try this driver, but no WEP or WPA support is planned (so, it's useless for me...).

The good news is you can buy from ebay the Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini PCI Express card (it's supported like Airport Third Party Wireless Card) and install it into the WPAN Mini PCI Express slot (usually it's empty). I'm using the 3945 with Windows and Linux, the 1390 with OS X.

Good luck :D

I only have one problem now (got the 1395 Wifi working). . .Although the audio will work with the patch in this thread, it seems to cause some appz to crash (most notably, Logic Pro). I really would like to get the audio working, or at least have a convenient way to turn it on and off . . . I haven't found any way yet : (

Did I understand you correctly: you've got the 1395 card working? Everyone else in this thread talks about having to swap in a 1390. I'd like to know as I'm working on my Vostro 1500 now and it came with a 1395.Thanks!

Cool...I'm still experimenting. Just booted iATKOS v1.0ir2.iso. Here's something very interesting:MY BLUETOOTH MOUSE WORKS DURING INSTALL!BTW, I'm working on a triple-boot Vista / XP Pro / Leopard system.

Something that may be entertaining for some to know. I used a spare hard drive in my Inspiron 1520 to install OSX and after taking it out and installing it in an external enclosure it still boots and works like a charm. Unfortunately Vista wont do the same.

I'd like to know as I'm working on my Vostro 1500 now and it came with a 1395.Thanks!

Getting the Dell 1395 working is pretty easy, once you know how :huh:

Just use nano or vi in the Terminal

edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist (as root, of course)

and insert this extra line into the array for the IONameMatch under Broadcom 802.11 PCI

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

so the block of manufacturer and model IDs looks like this:

<array>
                               <string>pci106b,4e</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4311</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4312</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4313</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4315</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4318</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4319</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,431a</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4320</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4324</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4325</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,4328</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432b</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432c</string>
                               <string>pci14e4,432d</string>
                       </array>

Once you've added this line, just save the file and delete all the usual caches pertaining to kexts (I'm not going into this here as there are a million places to find this documented)

After you reboot, the little WiFi light comes on and you have a new Airport device to configure in the Network pane of System Preferences.

Have fun.

(perhaps this is obvious, but if you install any Apple updates that update Airport, you'll have to do this little hack all over again, as it will be wiped out if IO80211Family.kext is replaced)