Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

I am having the same problem with the BCM440X. It looks like this is a known problem. Has anyone tried to compile the kext from the source?

Has anyone had success with the X3100 in 64bit mode? I have not been able to figure this out.

For what it's worth, I was able to get VoodooPS2 and VoodooHDA to load from /E/E so S/L/E is now 100% vanilla.

I succesfully installed Snow on my Vostro 1500 with x3100 graphic with full QE/CI support.

Works everythink ok except Broadcom 440X. In 32 and 64 bit its lose connection after few minutes.

Somewhere i found that booting with maxmem=1024 sometimes helps.

Has anyone had success with the X3100 in 64bit mode? I have not been able to figure this out

What is your problem? Not QE/Ci support or black screen?

I succesfully installed Snow on my Vostro 1500 with x3100 graphic with full QE/CI support.

Works everythink ok except Broadcom 440X. In 32 and 64 bit its lose connection after few minutes.

Somewhere i found that booting with maxmem=1024 sometimes helps.

What is your problem? Not QE/Ci support or black screen?

I have no QE/CI support. Well I used to. Now I can't boot into 64-bit at all. I originally installed snow on an external hard drive so that I wouldn't damage my leopard partition while I messed with snow. Once I got to a point where I was happy I used carbon copy cloner to put snow on the internal hard drive. Now when I boot from internal drive in 64-bit mode I get kernel panics due to HPET and AppleCPUPowerManagement. However, 32-bit works perfectly.

The only things that are different between the external drive and the internal drive are

1) External drive was GUID, internal drive is MBR

2) I used migration assistant to restore my files from my leopard installation.

I really don't know why either would cause a problem. I have NullCPUManagement and patched DSDT so I don't know why I am getting HPET errors.

Anyways, whats the trick to getting QE/CI for the X3100 in 64-bits?

here is my drivers for x3100 for 64 bit

http://rapidshare.com/files/376457881/drivers_QE_OK.zip.html

i needed to remove from my dsdt all CRT and TV devices. Otherwise the screen was black on start.

But with that drivers QE/CI works (changing resolution also)

Post your results.

No dice for me. I tried using your kexts (which seem to be older versions than mine) and still had no QE/CI in 64-bit. Additionally I was not able to run 32-bits anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with 32-bits, I don't know what else to try.

• 2 weeks later...
No dice for me. I tried using your kexts (which seem to be older versions than mine) and still had no QE/CI in 64-bit. Additionally I was not able to run 32-bits anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with 32-bits, I don't know what else to try.

I was not able to get this to work either. I have not been able to get anything to work. The only way I can get a black screen is if I have the proper system kext from 10.6.2 update installed other then that I just get 1024x768 vesa with no kext loaded. When I do get the black screen the laptop monitor is completely off and if I plug in an external monitor it thinks it is a secondary desktop so I can't do anything from there. I am at a loss. I had so many problems getting the monitor to work with 10.5 and I never could get full 1680x1050 res the best I ever did was 1600x1000 but I did have QE/CI working which is more important to me. Vanilla snow leopard seems to run much smoother and the only thing that I need working is my x3100 with QE/CI. Anyone with some drivers or things that I can try?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've decided to take the plunge to try and convert my Vostro 1500 to a hackintosh. Does anybody know if there's a consolidated guide of some sort to getting Snow Leopard on my Vostro 1500 - if it's even possible? I can read through this, but it seems like it's only for Leopard. I need to do iPad dev, so I'm hoping it's possible so I won't need to buy a Mac.

Ideas? Much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys ive tried a few years ago to do this and im going to give it another go later on this week but im stuck i cant find iatkosir2 anywhere should i get iatkos v7 instead?

so if the answer is yes, is this what i need or is there any updated version for the dell vostro 1500 on the web now?

1 x copy iATKOS v7 Burned to DVD

1 x copy GParted Live CD

1 x copy Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (I recommend a volume license, easier that way.)

1 x Vostro 1500 as configured above

1 x kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate

1 x kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.zip

Patience

Time

A basic working knowledge of your computer

thanks

eddie

• 4 months later...

I'm tempted to give this another go. I've had 10.5.2 (or 3 or 4, don't remember) in a second partition on my Vostro 1500. I boot it occasionally when needed. Power management never worked. Most other things did. But, without power management it's not too useful on a laptop.

I stumbled upon this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...les#Vostro_1500

Someone posted in the wiki and it seems they've got everything working with 10.6.5 on this machine. I'm tempted again. Looks like the key may be "Chameleon RC5 Unofficial by iFabio". I found this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Anyone else using that for a Vostro 1500?

It would be nirvana if I could get all that working AND my built-in WWAN card for AT&T 3G service.

Being the glutton for punishment that I am I dove into this project again last night. I was able to get Snow Leopard installed in what I consider a rough draft form. I started with a new blank hard drive and partitioned it into two partitions - the first a 125GB partition to install the OS on, the second is 16GB and holds an image of the retail install DVD.

I first tried using an iFabio RC5 bootloader on an 8GB flash drive. Couldn't find mach kernel. Switched to a 256MB flash drive an dit was fine. Had to remember to boot with -v -x or else it'll kernel panic immediately. With -v -x it will boot all the way to a panic with IOATAFamily.kext. I pulled the drive, put it in my Mac and copied over an updated one (note that I just drug it using the finder, so it probably doesn't have the right permissions / owner info). Now I could boot all the way to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Added an "ignore that kext.kext" (don't remember it's name) and was able to boot all the way to the beginning of the graphical environment to start the install process, but it would hang with a gray background only and a working mouse pointer. Couldn't go any further.

Next I tried booting with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD. Now I was able to complete the install. Booted into OS X and updated some kexts. It sorta works.

I get errors when doing updates regarding the kexts I sloppily replaced before install. Sleep and lid close don't work. No battery meter or other noticeable power management.

What I'm going to try next:

- 10.6.3 Retail DVD (was using a 10.6) - maybe that will eliminate some of the install kernel panics with the two kexts I replaced. I really want to use iFabio's RC5 as someone on the wiki said they've got everything working with that (WHERE ARE YOU????)

- thought I had a list..., not sure what else I need to try...

Priorities:

- working sleep: I need to be able to reliably sleep my laptop throughout the workday. If I can't count on that using this machine as a hackintosh is useless

- power management: need to use the battery as efficiently as possible. Again, if it sucks the battery dry in a half hour it will do me no good.

- Ethernet and all ports working (Wi-Fi works no problem, but I replaced the stock card with a different one a long time ago)

- smooth video with acceleration

- keep everything vanilla and keep modifications on a flash drive / boot drive

OK, next steps:

- create a boot USB drive with Chameleon RC5 that will be my full-time "hack" booter, everything else should be stock.

- prepare a DSDT.aml file for my Vostro 1500

- attempt install with retail 10.6.3 DVD

I ordered one of these tiny USB flash drives that can stay permanently installed on the laptop.

31f+lYW+xDL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-MosKeyto-Ultra...2/dp/B0041O200O

I found that the DSDT Auto-Patcher has a pre-compiled DSDT.aml for the Vostro 1500!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=235523

I installed that and had working sleep! Only problem is that it's for the X3100 on board graphics and I've got a discrete NVIDIA card, but it seems to be stable.

So, I'm doing a new install:

- new partition on drive

- [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD into install

- 10.6 Retail DVD on a partition

- patched IOATAFamily.kext on 10.6 Retail DVD partition in /System/Library/Extensions

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext on 10.6 Retail DVD partition in /System/Library/Extensions

After initial install I have to boot to prior install and delete IOATAFamily.kext from SLE. Then boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD to new install, run ComboUpdate to 10.6.5 then install the DSDT.aml file using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0. Checked "UserDSDT Install" and "System Utilities", "Rebuild Caches", and "Repair Permissions".

Next I reboot. I find the following things working:

- NVIDIA graphics at 1440x900

- SLEEP!

- Bluetooth comes alive

Not working:

- keyboard and trackpad, have to use USB keyboard and mouse

Only file currently in /Extras/Extensions

- fakesmc.kext

Next I install "Voodoo PS/2 Controller" and reboot. Now I have working keyboard and trackpad, including two finger scrolling!

Files currently in /Extras/Extensions

- fakesmc.kext

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Back to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install sound. I select VoodooHDA 0.2.72 and choose the System Utilities to rebuild, etc. then reboot. I'm told that it will be installed in /System/Library/Extensions and I'm not too fond of that for my Vanilla target install, but I'm not expecting this to be my final install.

Note: while the rebuild is taking place, before it finishes and I reboot I click the front panel volume button. It's working! I'm 99% sure that earlier I got nothing from it but a circle/slash for any of the up, down and mute buttons. Was it working before I added this kext or did it start working before the reboot? Hmm.

Sound is good after reboot. Two finger scroll is gone :(

Manually installed a VoodooBattery.kext and got a battery meter working. It told me to service the battery. Could be true. The machine is almost three years old and it's been through a lot of charging cycles. It still gives decent performance though. Being a large 9 cell battery helps. After a full charge it now says that I have 3:50 remaining, which is consistent with what I see under Windows.

The VoodooBattery.kext was downloaded in an Archive from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213506 and installed manually. Don't know what version it was. Be sure to uncheck "Use secure virtual memory" in "Security" pane on System preferences. I didn't and got a black screen after my first wake from sleep. It was an easy fix.

To do list:

- figure out if SpeedStep works and other power management issues. I can't tell if the DSDT.aml is helping me use the battery efficiently.

- get two finger scroll back

- do I need platformuuid?

- LAN (AppleBCM440Xetherenet.kext?)

- SD card reader (VoodooSDHC?)

- do I need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext ?

- move kexts to /Extras/Extensions to make it vanilla

- backup image

- bootloader tweaks, USB boot maybe

- dual boot on one hard drive

A tip about dual booting. I bought an extra hard drive case part for this machine. As you may know replacing a hard drive on this system is very easy. Take the battery out. There are four screws on the bottom that hold the hard drive in, remove them. The drive slides out the side. To put a different drive in its place you take two screws off the side of the drive to remove the case piece and put it on the new drive. Well, I bought an extra and attached it to my extra hard drive. Now I can almost hot swap between the two drives. One has XP and an older copy of Leopard 10.5.4. The other is my working drive for the Snow Leopard install. I don't even bother screwing it in, just slide it in place and the friction of the SATA and power connectors hold it in place. Of course I completely turn off the machine before swapping.

Like: Alt key next to spacebar acts as Mac command key, just like on a regular Mac.

Don't Like: Reboot works, but upon POST the machine takes forever. The little progress bar under the Dell logo takes about three minutes to complete. I think this is because the CMOS in the BIOS may be getting reset and it takes a while for the BIOS to figure it all out. I see this when a machine has had hardware changes or been discharged fully. Last time I rebooted I chose Shut Down and then forced the power off. It was much easier.

Investigating the two finger scroll issue. On my first install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext went in /Extras/Extensions. Not so on the second install. Also, the Trackpad pref pane in the second install only tries to set up a Magic Trackpad. My first install has that but has a "back" button which takes me to a place where I can enable lots of touchpad stuff.

I fixed it. Ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.6.3 and reinstalled the VoodooPS2.kext which included AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext going to /E/E. It now all works like the first install. Apparently they took AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext out of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0.

New list:

- figure out if SpeedStep works and other power management issues. I can't tell if the DSDT.aml is helping me use the battery efficiently.

- do I need platformuuid?

- LAN (AppleBCM440Xetherenet.kext?)

- SD card reader (VoodooSDHC?)

- move kexts to /Extras/Extensions to make it vanilla

- backup image

- bootloader tweaks, USB boot maybe

- dual boot on one hard drive

Let it fall asleep last night and woke it this morning. Clicking in the Finder was behaving strangely. When I clicked on the battery meter icon in the menu bar it would drop down then go back up. I couldn't select icons on the desktop. Then I noticed that the number 7 was being typed repeatedly like the key was held down (it showed up in the Spotlight window and the Help window). Other apps were fine. I simply hit the Backspace key while in the Finder and the problem went away.

First 24 hours of testing...

Sleep works pretty well. Close the lid it sleeps. Open it, it wakes up.

Tapping with the tackpad has issues. I like to tap the trackpad to register a click. If I do that it registers like a click and hold. Turning off "Dragging" under "Clicking" in the Trackpad pref pane fixes that.

Battery meter is present but doesn't update. It will update itself when it comes out of sleep, but won't change. I was using it for a while tonight and it said 1:09 left. I looked over at the battery LED and it was orange (meaning it's going to die in 10 minutes or less). I put it to sleep while I carried it downstairs. When I opened it back up it warned me that the battery was low.

Hi to All. I have followed all the stepst to install Snow 10.6, then updated to 10.6.5 on my Vostro 1500, but now I recive a kernel panic after dsmos load.

Anyone know if I have to use other .kext file?

Thanks

... 10 minutes Later, I have good news.

I get inside my Mac partition using Fedora 14 Live CD, then I deleted the file /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

and just in case I copyed my DSDT.aml (AutoPatcher file) to / directory.

Reboot... and now I have my Vostro 1500 with a Running 10.6.5 Snow Leopard OSx.

Later I will post the working and not working staff.

Thanks to all for all the work and info posted in this Forum.

sry for the noob post but just had one question before i have to leave for work.

I havent had to run a osx86 installer since iatkos 1.0i. I recently had to get rid of the external usb hdd which i had it and sidux linux on and im reinstalling using iatkos v7.

My question is for use vostro users has a fix been found so that for x3100 we can install the the drivers and run everything without having to setup the pc using the second moniter trick.

as i had just recently installed iatkos and booted for the first time and got the music sounding from first boot but a black screen.(nice to see sound workign though sigmatel 9205 had no support for a while)

I had only selected the x3100 efi loader string and the first x3100 driver.(not the x3100 p one)

i plan on reinstalling uses both the x3100 and p drivers. to test and see if that gets it workign properly.

If anyone has any suggestions for setting it up without the second monitor help would be appreciated.

and before anyone says read the thread i'll read it when i get off work but its kinda hard to sort through everything when most of it was from 3-4 years ago.

• 3 months later...

Heya!

...So after overheating my D620 - I decided to take the plunge again, this time with a Vostro 1500 2GB RAM, 128MB Vid (NVIDIA I believe), Intel 4965AGN yada yada yada...

So I am going to attempt to install SL - but before doing so, I want to replace the 4965 with a BCM94321 that I have handy. My one issue is that the 4965 has 3 antenna wires and the broadcom has 2. Will I succeed even if I left the gray unattached?

• 1 month later...

Thanks to this thread - I've been enjoying my new hackintosh for a few months - I even got free airport mania from amazon. The one thing I only discovered now is that the DVD drive is not recognized - as in nothing at all. Any ideas?

• 10 months later...

Hi All

I am newbi to this forum.

I have windows vista dell vostro laptop that I want to convert to hackintosh - to eventually develop iphone games that are eligible for appstore distribution.

I have dell vostro 1500 purchased in 2008 - purchased from dell US site.

As I see there are lot of different configurations and hecks being thrown in this huge thread.

As I got confused between part/model names, I decided to use dell support utility to export major config data.

Attached file describes it. In addition, I have Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card.

Sorry for sounding bit demanding here, but since this post is huge, running since 4 years, and I am total newbie to OS X (not newbie to OS installation though) - I cannot follow what worked finally, if it is still valid, and cannot decide if my configuration is workable.

Here is what I want:

1) I have Dell Vostro 1500 loaded with windows vista, 120 gb HDD, 2 GB RAM (don't know of the RAM breakup), with intel c2d.

I need a working mac OS that will allow me to write iphone games using latest iPhone game authoring software provided by mac.

2) It will be good if I can retain / reinstall my windows vista as dual boot, but if I lose it, that's fine too.

Should I follow Hexadecimal's initial post from scratch?

Has anyone with my configuration been successful?

Or should I take the painful route, reading all the replies implement what's final on my vostro?

Thanks to all who will make my task easier!

-vividCode

Vostro-1500-configuration.zip

I'm sorry to say, but you're going to have a lot of reading to do. I got mine to work pretty darn good, and used it as my main machine, but that was like 2 or 3 years ago. As you can see, this isn't that lively of a thread anymore, and I think a lot of people have moved on. But everything you need is in here, somewhere. There is no one single post that tells everything, but if you start from Hexadecimal's first post and just do that, you should be able to be developing without too much trouble.

One thing: If you have the NVidia card, it seems lots easier. If you have Intel graphics, it's going to be more difficult.