• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

gok

gok

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

any one get time machine to work with their vostro 1500....................i have a vostro 1500 and battery meter works with iatkos then upgraded to 10.5.2 and the new vanilla kernel everything works except reboot shutdown and sleep and time machine

Vostro 1500 here, time machine working after upgrade IONetworkingFamily.kext

gkrangers

gkrangers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
When I install OSX (following the directions exactly), I end up with /dev/sda1 fat32 200MiB with a boot flag as the default. I also get the /dev/sda2 hfs+ with no flags.

Shouldn't I only be getting the hfs+ partition?

Even when I change the boot flag to the hfs+ partition, it will not boot. The fat32 partition gets a msftres flag that I can't remove. I don't understand why this is happening. I've tried installing this way 5 or 6 times now, and it worked the first time. But every time since I'm having these problems.

Noom

Noom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Hi there,

I successfully install by following Hexidecimal's instructions word by word, his spec same with me exactly.
Now I've 10.5.2+9.2.0 kernel.

1. Is that mean I can go to download Software Update without any harm?.

2. What happen if the update isn't work and what should I do to restore back to my working leopard before update software?.

3. Is Time Machine like restore function in Windows?. (I'm a mac's beginner).

4. I want to make a dual boot by installation Windows Vista into a second partition, but I'm afraid windows vista boot loader will screw up the Darwin bootloader and making me can't boot leopard again. I used to install leopard after Vista(1st partition) and it didn't work. Any helpful links or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of helps. :)

gkrangers

gkrangers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Well, here's an update on my condition. I have Leopard installed once again. I think my problem was stemming from not setting the partition to MBR (I was using GUID). I'm also using the iATKOSi "R3" now. I have the base 10.51 installed right now, and I'm running a software update. I will see if it installs the 10.5.2 and 9.2.0 updates without running the kalyway patches that are posted above.

Still cannot get audio working. I even installed XP yesterday and couldn't get the audio working. I'm wondering if there was some kind of actual physical hardware failure....

EDIT: It would appear doing a software update to 10.5.2 and 9.2.0 killed my install. So that doesn't work. Time to reinstall again. :D

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
This is probably the most newbie user friendly guide I've read for the Vostro so far, thanks for writing it Hexidecimal.I've got the exact same Vostro as you, minus the Bluetooth. I also want to make my system dual boot to Leopard and XP Professional, but I've got the plain old 32bit version. Unfortunetely I can't even get to the Windows install because I get stuck trying to install iatkosir2.

I followed your instructions to the letter, I boot with iatkosir2 and open the Disk Utility. I partioned and formatted the same as you... 2 partions of equal size, GUID format... one HFS+, the other left as Free Space. I selected the same options (EFI bootloader only and the Broadcomm Network Driver). The install goes normally and I get the green check mark and successful install message. I then reboot and insert the GParted LiveCD and I set the boot flag on the HFS+ partition and okay the change. I restart and remove the GParted CD... the BIOS proceeds as normal, but then the system just stops and all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen... the same thing that happens when the hard drive is completely blank/unpartioned... the system isn't seeing the Leopard install or bootloader on the HD. And then when I try and boot with the iatkos DVD-R in the drive, it just loads the installer again and I'm back at square one.

I've tried starting the install all over and deleting the partions and reinstalling iatkosir2, and trying to boot without using GParted... I used a method I found on these forums to set the partion as active by pressing F8, typing -s, then fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2 and some other commands, but I still end up with the same result.. the blinkng cursor and nothing loading.

The only success I've had with iatkosir2 is to install it with no options at all selected in the customize menu... then the install will go through successfully, but the computer still won't boot on it's own. However, if I leave the iatkosir2 dvd-r in the drive, it will then boot to Leopard. Unfortunetely though, it will ONLY boot with the dvd-r in the drive.... and my dell 1390 wireless card isn't recognized (I assume because I never checked the Broadcomm setting) and Airport won't work. Leopard is no good to me without the Wireless working, so this install is not considered a success for me, and I haven't tried to proceed further at that point and make the graphics and sound changes.... I need to get it so it boots on it's own without the DVD-R (and ultimately will dual boot with XP-Pro32) and so the wireless, graphics and sound all work.

Can you help ? The only thing I can think of that could be different from my PC to yours is the BIOS settings... I tried the install with Speed-Step both on and off in the BIOS and still got the dreaded non-loading blinking cursor and unsuccessful install... I've had it off mostly because that's the way yours is configured. Can you please give me a run down of all of your bios settings so I can check them against mine and find out why this install works on your Vostro 1500 and not mine ? Thanks.

Well, here's an update on my condition. I have Leopard installed once again. I think my problem was stemming from not setting the partition to MBR (I was using GUID).

Well, thanks to this post I MAY have found my problem.Trying a reinstall now with the Partion Map set to MBR instead of GUID.... will check back in when the install is done.I could have sworn I tried using MBR in a previous install with no success... but now I am questioning whether I set the boot flag correctly on that install.We'll see what happens... (fingers crossed...)

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Well... the install worked and I'm now able to boot off the Hard Drive... but the Dell 1390 Wireless Card was/is NOT detected for some reason and I'm hesitant to proceed further without getting that to work... it's important to me. I suppose I can use a USB wireless thing, but my first choice is getting the internal wireless to work.

Time to tool around some more.... any suggestions would be welcomed.

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Well, I've installed Leopard a different way, so not sure if my experience is relevant, I did however use one of the Dell CDs to remove the MediaStart (or whatever it's called, the hidden partition which has a copy of XP install with the basic media functions and which starts up if you press that smaller Home button next to the Power button when the machine is off) partition. Not sure if that MediaStart partition is messing things for you guys, but imho it's a useless feature so I've decided to get rid of it anyways.

When partitioning Dell HDD (hooked up the Dell HDD to the macbook running leopard thru the USB-SATA adaptor) I've used one partition, guid, then before doing anything else enabled owners on the partition:
sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/<your HDD name here>
I have then installed PC EFI v8, then rebooted and installed from vanilla leopard DVD.

BTW, when I've used the sound files linked from this topic I've got the sound working minus the mute button. On the second attempt I've used the other kext/patch-file and the mute now works. Unfortunately I don't remember where did I get this other set of files, but I'll try to attach the DMG with the HDA patcher, the patch and the kext I've used.

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
...turns out the mistake with the non-working Wireless is mine once again. I don't have a Dell 1390 Wireless card, I've got a 1395. I must have mis-read or forgotten what my Dell order and invoice said... I could have sworn I had the 1390... and of course the 1395 isn't compatible and I don't think there's a fix or patch for it. Oh well, $10 on ebay and a week's wait for delivery and I'll have a 1390 to swap in the place of the 1395. Hopefully when I swap the 1390 in, Leopard will recognize it and Airport will work right away, but I'm willing to re-install if necessary.

But otherwise, I'm up and running so far and got the graphics and sound working now with the help of Hexi's step-by-step... I'm using working LAN port to post via Safari until I get my parts. I'm telling you, just add a note to the walk-through about choosing MBR over GUID during the partition stage, and this would be the most user-friendly Vostro guide on the site... easiest to follow by far. Thanks again for writing it.

I may hold off on the 10.5.2 updates until I get the 1390 installed, or I may push forward now that I've gotten by that initial boot problem. I also want to see if I can do the battery meter and time machine fixes. And then on to trying to get XP Pro installed and execute the dual boot. Yay !

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

any one get time machine to work with their vostro 1500....................i have a vostro 1500 and battery meter works with iatkos then upgraded to 10.5.2 and the new vanilla kernel everything works except reboot shutdown and sleep and time machine

How did you get the battery meter to work ? Which instructions or patch did you use ?

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Wow, I'm glad so many people have found this guide useful.

shaasH you should be able to dual boot with XP Pro 32-bit but you'll have to use an MBR Partition scheme, only XP 64 Bit recognized GUID/EFI installations. Also yes sadly with this laptop the 1390 got kicked right before I ordered which is why I went to the 1490. Thankfully the 1390 is still on ebay and works very well. Good Luck!

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I've used the bundle from the attached file to get the battery status working and then enabled it from the SysPref. Just replaced the original with what's inside the archive.

Attached Files

Noom

Noom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Hi Hexidecimal or Stangri,

Could you please help me answering my posted questions?. Thanks in advance. :blink:

Anyway, Stangri, where should I replace the orginal one with your attached file?.

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I've used the bundle from the attached file to get the battery status working and then enabled it from the SysPref. Just replaced the original with what's inside the archive.

Thanks for the suggestion and file, but no dice for me... I had to repair drive permissions first, then I used your bundle and replaced and rebooted and still no battery meter or option to turn it on in system preferences.

I also tried the patch in this thread with no luck :

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=80425

In that thread there is a suggestion that ' AppleACPIPlatform v 1.0.5 ' will work with iatkos... mine appears to be AppleACPIPlatform v 1.1.0 - I'm not sure where I go about finding v 1.0.5

Anyway, Stangri, where should I replace the orginal one with your attached file?.

System/Library/SystemConfiguration

Pnut500000

Pnut500000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I tried this. Downlaoded it, replaced the original, and repaired drive permissions. After that I attempted to reboot and now all I get is a black screen that gives me a couple boot options and says

boot:_

With a blinking cursor and anything I type does nothing.
What system do you have that this worked on, or can someone fill me in on what I did wrong?

I have almost the exact config of original post, but mine is a Inspiron 1520 with a 1.6ghz core 2 duo, and a webcam. The whole hackintosh thing started for me at the very beginning of January and I'm happy to have working audio now. Graphics are much more functional and that was a big one for me since I like to play WoW.

Since I'm still a bit of a newb.. Is there a better way than starting over everytime I get a screw up. Its not so much reinstalling Leopard that gets me, but installing WoW is a pain. How about this "Time Machine" that I hear doesnt work? Whats the verdict on that and does it restore like Windows System Restore? I'll probably have to go read up on something to image my hard drive so I dont have to deal with this everytime I try something new and it takes away all functionality.

gkrangers

gkrangers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Ok, I solved my problem. I dumped the audio codec from Sidux LiveCD (Ubuntu LiveCD would not detect the card). The codec on my Vostro 1500/Sigmatel 9205 was DIFFERENT from the others floating around. That's why it wasn't working.

This is a Vostro 1500/Sigmatel 9205 codec dump. It is different from all of the others (I think) that have been posted on this forum so far.

Attached File  Stac9205.txt   5.04KB   108 downloads

stangri

stangri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

I tried this. Downlaoded it, replaced the original, and repaired drive permissions. After that I attempted to reboot and now all I get is a black screen that gives me a couple boot options and says

Oops, I'm very sorry it did that. Could be that you've downloaded and extracted on a windows machine and then copied to Mac or could be that you didn't set owner/permissions (chown -R root:wheel <bundle name> and then chmod -R 755 <bundle name>) -- not sure if Disk Utility does that.

I should probably stop interfering with this thread tho, I've used a different method of install than what's described on the first post, and I'm running as much Vanilla stuff as possible, that could also be the reason some of the things which worked for me do not work for you.

Ok, I solved my problem. I dumped the audio codec from Sidux LiveCD (Ubuntu LiveCD would not detect the card). The codec on my Vostro 1500/Sigmatel 9205 was DIFFERENT from the others floating around. That's why it wasn't working.

Uhm, you mind sharing with the community? I have a lousy connection and still can't upload less than 2Mb file containing HDA patcher, the patch and the kext which worked for me, including the working mute button.

A BIG QUESTION I have -- the sound control buttons when pressed work fine and cause the OSD with the sound volume meter. The screen brightness buttons even tho they work do not bring up the OSD (like the do on my Mac). Has anyone got the screen brightness OSD working?

Ericb410

Ericb410

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can someone help me with the gparted live cd? I get a screen and I select auto configure which brings me to some menu and I make sure my partition is flagged as a boot drive, is this correct? after that I get a blinking cursor on start up, I am almost positive I did everything correctly, I am going to try again if anyone can help me with the Gparted live cd id appreciate it...

gkrangers

gkrangers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Can someone help me with the gparted live cd? I get a screen and I select auto configure which brings me to some menu and I make sure my partition is flagged as a boot drive, is this correct? after that I get a blinking cursor on start up, I am almost positive I did everything correctly, I am going to try again if anyone can help me with the Gparted live cd id appreciate it...

Did you install OSX on a GUID partition table or MBR partition table? You need to select MBR. Try reinstalling it on a MBR partition. When you partition in the Leopard Disk Utility, you can click Options and select MBR. This might be the cause.

Also, you may consider doing a search for the "R3" version of iATKOS. This update claims to have fixed a lot of issues with the blinking cursor on boot.

shaasH

shaasH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Just another update on my build... received the 1390 card in the mail today (record shipping time to boot!) and swapped it into my Vostro 1500 in place of my 1395. Windows had no problem recognizing and installing it... and neither did Leopard ! Once I booted into Leopard, the 1390 was recognized as an Airport card right away... I enable it, connected to my router and am happily browsing on Safari via my airport connection in Leopard.

SEAMLESS !!!!!! I'm loving this... I was convinced I'd have to re-install Leopard to get the 1390 to be recognized as an Airport card, but no worries !

So thanks again to Hexidecimal for the kick-{censored} guide...

My only challenge remains the power management (shut down, restart, sleep and battery/charge meter). If I could get those to work in Leopard, my Hackintosh would be truly complete... I hope someone comes up with a solution.

I noticed that the battery/charge meter worked fine in the iatkosir2 installation screens... it's not until after install on the harddrive that it stops working... if I decide to re-install iatkosir2, is there an option in the install screen that I can select to make the power-management stuff work ? And will that make it so I can't use the kalyway 10.5.2 update and kernel update ?Thanks again for all the help...

When I started GParted the first time I installed iatkosir2 correctly (on an MBR partition, not GUID), GParted said the Leopard partition already had the boot-flag enabled. So I changed nothing, shut down and restarted the Vostro and got that dreaded blinking cursor you speak of... What I did next was go back into GParted, and disable that boot flag on the Leopard partition... (Manage>Flags>Boot). Then I shut down and rebooted right back into GParted once again and went ahead and enabled the boot flag back on again on my Leopard partition... I then shut down, restarted with the Gparted disc out of the drive, and the dreaded blinking cursor was gone, my Vostro finally booted into Leopard on it's own, without the help of the iatkosir2 DVD-R.

iatkosir2 must create a boot flag on the Leopard partition that isn't compatible with the Dell bios or something... but once you remove that flag, reboot into gparted, enable the flag, reboot again, the blinking cursor problem was gone.Hope that helps.

malka_aria

malka_aria

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
:P I dont know why this is happening, I had working dual boot: vista ultimate/10.5.2 kalyway MAC
but i never could make the batt. to show up and also after updating to 10.5.2 my LAN stopped working, I had only the wireless working
so i decided to try iAtkos to see how the things will go, since i have same vostro 1500 described in the 1st post here.
I tried the same steps you guys did 5 times
and I was getting allways the same error after trying to boot into OSX 86:

HFS+ Partition error

any suggest please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy