N00b to Ubuntu

guardian_10

38 posts in this topic

Reliable and easy to use? Well Gnome's aim is simplicity so its targeted to older or even less technical people according to Linus, its targeted to idiots...no offense, I remember reading Linus said something like that to the gnome devs that "if u think your users r idiots then only idiots will use it".

Reliability depends on the distro u try, if u mean kde is buggy then yeah if u use some {censored} like kubuntu, u will have the worse time of your life, use pclinuxos, mandriva, opensuse, and even sabayon u will have a better experience.

I have heard even Linux Mint's kde is better than kubuntu.

Reliability depends on the distro u try

no offense, but this is stupid.

It also depends on the desktop environment and on the apps too. Also Kubuntu uses KDE "as is" with modifications only to the appearance and excludes some apps, but the rest of the desktop environment is unchanged, so that proves the unreliability of KDE rather than of Kubuntu.

Believe me, I can call my openSUSE experience anything but better.

The LiveCD often crashed, and after rebooting rarely started at all. After a loooooong installation and an update I was left with a X11 terminal and a mouse pointer. That's good only if you're in 1990.

no offense, but this is stupid.

It also depends on the desktop environment and on the apps too. Also Kubuntu uses KDE "as is" with modifications only to the appearance and excludes some apps, but the rest of the desktop environment is unchanged, so that proves the unreliability of KDE rather than of Kubuntu.

Believe me, I can call my openSUSE experience anything but better.

The LiveCD often crashed, and after rebooting rarely started at all. After a loooooong installation and an update I was left with a X11 terminal and a mouse pointer. That's good only if you're in 1990.

I agree I never liked the opensuse live cd's either but they promise that they will be good in the next release and don't forget its their first time making a live cd as far as I know. I hope u weren't talking about the beta 2 of 11.0.

In Kubuntu bugs r introduced while packaging applications and many bugs kubuntu has r not even up stream kde bugs.

I agree with the above poster that kde is the complete desktop experience, gnome looks like a system from the early 90's or something.

You find it annoying, I don't and I doubt do many other kde users.

Personally I don't care at all.

Other then that Kde is still more feature rich and better looking than Gnome still. -_-

KDE is very intuitive for people who come from Windows. When my sister came to see me and tried KDE for the first time (she had been using Windows for years) she learned in 5 minutes.

Besides, GNOME is a pain to package, ask Patrick Volkerding who dropped it from Slackware.

Debian default desktop is GNOME, but during development you'll notice that KDE is always a lot less buggy than GNOME.

Put KDE4 on top of that, which is a revolution, while GNOME, release after release, has hardly anything new to show. and you get the full picture.

Besides, GNOME is a pain to package, ask Patrick Volkerding who dropped it from Slackware.

Does it bother me? That would be a big fat no.

Put KDE4 on top of that, which is a revolution, while GNOME, release after release, has hardly anything new to show. and you get the full picture.

Because there is no need for GNOME to revolutionize yet because the users don't care as much about fancy interface touches and widgets(the peak of revolution WOOOOHOO111!11!11!!). Tell me what is in KDE that is soo innovative you can't stop speaking about in every damn *nix topic.

Look, I have no problem with KDE, nor with opensuse, just please, please stop talking about them as if it was dropped off the skies, ok?

Just stop spamming every single topic with "oh, you have (insert distro name here)? Well why don't you try our beloved openSUSE? As a matter of fact, why don't you change it into ANYTHING but Ubuntu, ok? Because you know my favorite distro is openSUSE, and you know that ubuntu is for n00bs and suse is for h4x0rz like me, and if you dont convert to suse you will burn in hell, because even Mother Theresa used suse to check her mail...." kinda things, OK?

By no means I want to order you guys anything, but you just turned an Ubuntu topic into a suse praise club. Just like about every second topic I've seen here.

I never started praising suse on this thread. In fact its u who has started talking about suse in this thread.

:huh:

QFT&E

I stay away from Ubuntu threads, unless you start writing against openSUSE.

And besides, my point here has only been KDE vs. GNOME (where did I mention openSUSE?)

how is that praising suse? there r many other distros out there.

I could have meant any distro that has kde and lets face it kubuntu is the worst kde linux distro.

I know a couple of ubuntu users who have tried kubuntu just to check their kde and they agree with me that kubuntu is the worst linux kde distro out there, so if ubuntu users themselves think kubuntu is {censored} then it really is.

If u don't beleive me then give it a try and see for your self.

In Hardy 8.04 kde 3.5.9, cutting and pasting file won't work as it will leave the file in the original location after copying it, who expects that kind of a bug in the default file manager of a final product. You can test it yourself if u want.