N00b to Ubuntu

guardian_10

38 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just installed and am trying out Ubuntu 7.10 in Virtualbox. Seems like a reasonably good distro. I like most of the features.

Being new to Linux, my only problem is I don't know if there is a way to directly boot into it without having to enter user-name and password (as it would be a single-user machine).

Is there any way to do this or do I have to enter it everytime I start it up?

Also, right now I am downloading Gentoo 2007. Opinions about which is better?

Thanks and regards.

Hi,

I just installed and am trying out Ubuntu 7.10 in Virtualbox. Seems like a reasonably good distro. I like most of the features.

Being new to Linux, my only problem is I don't know if there is a way to directly boot into it without having to enter user-name and password (as it would be a single-user machine).

Is there any way to do this or do I have to enter it everytime I start it up?

Also, right now I am downloading Gentoo 2007. Opinions about which is better?

Thanks and regards.

You'll love Ubuntu!

To disable the login at startup:

Applications > Settings > Login Window.

You'll find the options you need there.

Good Luck!

If you're a n00b, don't use Ubuntu. It will leave a horrible taste in your mouth and leave you feeling like all Linux distros are as slow and buggy as that one is.

Check out PCLinuxOS or openSUSE. And for goodness' sake, do yourself a favor and make sure you use KDE; a Windows power user going to GNOME is darn near the most difficult transition out there.

If you're a n00b, don't use Ubuntu. It will leave a horrible taste in your mouth and leave you feeling like all Linux distros are as slow and buggy as that one is.

Check out PCLinuxOS or openSUSE. And for goodness' sake, do yourself a favor and make sure you use KDE; a Windows power user going to GNOME is darn near the most difficult transition out there.

I couldn't disagree more.

I started with ubuntu and have stuck with it. I have also started with Gnome and feel it is way more like "windows" than KDE. KDE seems cheap, ugly, and poorly though out.

Just my opinion though. :blink:

Gnome works OK for me, KDE is OK as well. But Ubuntu is not a "n00b" distro, it worked well for me and the only part you have to be careful about is where you install the GRUB bootloader, caused me trouble to no end. If you are a n00b, start out with something simple and Windows like, and Ubuntu certainly fits the bill. No need to argue over Gnome or KDE, if you want Gnome go for Ubuntu, if you wand KDE go for kubuntu (ubuntu with kde).

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, even if ubuntu is classified as a "noob" distro, that doesn't mean that a power user won't be able to enjoy it...

I personally am not what you could cal a noob, and I use rather frequently a simple tty as my session, and Ubuntu is fine for me.

When I want a GUI, GNOME is my favorite, I find KDE too "bling bling" for me, it looks, behave strange to me, while GNOME is esay to use, understand and don't get in my way when I want to work.

ubuntu is suited for noobs AND geeks, I would not recommand it for a compilation fanatic or someone who use Linux for more than 10 years, but it really satisfies my needs, and it will satisfy yours I believe.

Nice choice!

I couldn't disagree more.

I started with ubuntu and have stuck with it. I have also started with Gnome and feel it is way more like "windows" than KDE. KDE seems cheap, ugly, and poorly though out.

Just my opinion though. :P

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sick of KDE too. KDE 3.5's interface is an usability hell and looks very ugly. Also, finding a setting in KDE is extremely hard, since you can't see it in the places you would expect, but you MAY find it 3 months later wen searching for an other setting.

Konqueror as file explorer sucks :( , and also for some weird reason in KDE a single click does the things all other desktop environments do with double-click. (opening a folder for example).

Also the KDE interface is notorious for its clutter and waste of space. And an other thing I found extremely annoying is window resizing. When you resize an app window and close it, KDE thinks it is utterly useless and contradicts all usability priciples if it saves the window size and position. So next time you have to waste time resizing System Settings for example. And these are basic things that should have been fixed like 2 years ago.

And I don't want to spoil the thread with KDE 4 issues...

Anyways, back on track.

Why do people call a distro a n00b one just because you have a graphical interface for almost everything?

Does it lack a terminal or something? I found Ubuntu to be capable for everything an OS is supposed to.

openSUSE caused me a lot of problems, and sometimes I had to reinstall it, a thing which has never happened to me using Linux, and eventually went back to Ubuntu. IMHO starting your Linux experience off with Ubuntu is the best choice. It has a really helpful community and there is a myriad of tutorials, guides, and applications to choose from, way more than in any other distro's case(icluding openSUSE :angel: ).

lol, Ubuntu is a noob distro, it's idea for Windows people and more packages than any distro out there, I use it simply because I can't be arsed to install another and set up at the moment.

Ubuntu is not a NOOB distro, it's a distro that's easy for noobs, and capable of all things that other distro can do, via its terminal.

Ubuntu has been marked as a "lol look Ubuntu what a noob", and that's a shame. basically, when you meet another geek, you hesitate to show him your Ubuntu beacause he will laugh and treat you as a stupid newbie.

In fact, Ubuntu is just made easier for noobs, but includes avary softawer required for a daily use, you can install almost every IDE you want, hack all the way on it...

I don't see why Ubuntu should be a noob distro more than Debian, as Ubuntu can do everything debian does...

That pisses me off.

Ubuntu is not a NOOB distro, it's a distro that's easy for noobs, and capable of all things that other distro can do, via its terminal.

Ubuntu has been marked as a "lol look Ubuntu what a noob", and that's a shame. basically, when you meet another geek, you hesitate to show him your Ubuntu beacause he will laugh and treat you as a stupid newbie.

In fact, Ubuntu is just made easier for noobs, but includes avary softawer required for a daily use, you can install almost every IDE you want, hack all the way on it...

I don't see why Ubuntu should be a noob distro more than Debian, as Ubuntu can do everything debian does...

That pisses me off.

Some would say it's made easy for noobs which makes it a noob distro, it's not Slackware or Gentoo. Ubuntu tries to do everything for the new user to computers which makes it a "noob" distro because thats what it's aimed at, new people to computers or Linux.

I love ubuntu, and i hate kde. it's too kid looking. like an interface for a pre-school kid on a toy computer. and everything starts with a damn 'K'. Konsole, Kedit, Kubuntu, Kchess.... ha. gnome is the way to go. throw beryl on there and you'll love it.

Yep, me too, can't stand KDE.

I find it cheap, bling bling and soooooo hard to master...

It's like the settings are dispatched randomly between the applets of the configuration panel, and when you're looking for one, it has already moved to another location, so that you can only find it when you're not looking for it... :censored2:

KDE 4 is not that bad, mostly because of all the technologic bases it settles, but the "K" fanatism isn't my cup of tea (K stands for what? Ku Klux :censored2: hummm no, probably not)

Gnome is totally simple, has nice themes (easy to install), and allows really simple access to most of programs, config, etc...

And it has a nice little Terminal, which is like my second home :censored2:

• 1 month later...

I love Gnome. Also my piece of advice is if you have VMWare then definately run it on that first. Saves burning and testing a thousand disks. Also you can see in real time which distro you like best and if you don't like one then all you need do is destroy the Appliance file and will not harm your PC in any way. But I only recommend this if you have good ram (2gb or more) which most PC's have these days.

• 4 weeks later...
I love ubuntu, and i hate kde. it's too kid looking. like an interface for a pre-school kid on a toy computer. and everything starts with a damn 'K'. Konsole, Kedit, Kubuntu, Kchess.... ha. gnome is the way to go. throw beryl on there and you'll love it.

hmm....ilife, iworks, ichat, imovie, isight, imac, etc. :)

Nothing wrong with starting names with a "k", Apple is very similar as well.

QFT&E

You find it annoying, I don't and I doubt do many other kde users.

Other then that Kde is still more feature rich and better looking than Gnome still. :)

Calling your apps imovie, ilife, ichat, isn't professional either and I agree neither is konsole and kaffeine, but at least its cool and fun. :)