anyone daring? ie6 + wine

15 posts in this topic

That gentoo post is positively ANCIENT! IE6 is fairly easy to get installed, although on linux I tend to use crossover office. You can get the DLLs and install them manually on any version of wine, so I doubt it is any different in darwine.

WHY??? It's just wrong...

--BrayNShocK

What do you consider wrong about a web designer trying to make it possible for ALL visitors to see the site across ALL platforms? Is it possible that you only use your computer for download, chatting, and playing games? Some of us actually work on our computers to pay it off. After our computers are payed for, we invest in a new one. At least thats what I do.

I cannot get IE6 working on Darwine universal binary. With Sidenet pack, after install it says its installed properly but on Internet Explorer 6 Setup window it says "wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x8fe136e4 (thread 000b), starting debugger...

wine client error:b: write: Bad file descriptor" . When I choose to install IE6 and WMP (its one of the isntall options), it gets stuck at

"Checking if ie6setup needs to be started again ...

./setup: line 889: [: too many arguments

./setup: line 893: /usr/lib/wine/wineserver: No such file or directory

Checking if ie6setup needs to be started again ...

ERROR: ie6setup respawned too many times.

Setup aborted."

When I use winetools it tells me I need to be root, which I think is a system administrator; even though I am already logged in as one.

Can anyone help? I really need IE for somethings and Darwine seems the best way to go.

Can anyone help? I really need IE for somethings and Darwine seems the best way to go.

good thing i thought twice so far when buying a intelmac.. i still have a mac mini and a winxp machine.. i'm waiting around till dual booting windows and/or darwine is less buggy

good thing i thought twice so far when buying a intelmac.. i still have a mac mini and a winxp machine.. i'm waiting around till dual booting windows and/or darwine is less buggy

I still have..3 Windows machines too. But I only use them if I really have to. Hence, I want to get IE working on Wine so I don't have to go to a Windows machine just to use IE.

I still have..3 Windows machines too. But I only use them if I really have to. Hence, I want to get IE working on Wine so I don't have to go to a Windows machine just to use IE.

In the meantime, if you have a home network, you could use a VNC client to run Windows remotely on your Mac from one of the PCs, if all you need to do is access IE.

In the meantime, if you have a home network, you could use a VNC client to run Windows remotely on your Mac from one of the PCs, if all you need to do is access IE.

While VNC is a practical solution, I'd really rather not have to leave my windows box on just for that.

Hopefully someone is able to fix WineTools or Sidenet soon enough. Or, I'll just have to get by until March or so when VPC is done, or dual booting is working.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
While VNC is a practical solution, I'd really rather not have to leave my windows box on just for that.

Hopefully someone is able to fix WineTools or Sidenet soon enough. Or, I'll just have to get by until March or so when VPC is done, or dual booting is working.

vnc is not fully capable of playing videos and audio over 100mbit connection :-( has anyone been successful in getting darwine working with ie6? i'd like it to avoid wmp9 playback issues that the mac suffers from (even with flip4mac)....

domino, if you have playback problems with Flip4Mac plugin, tell them about it in their forums. They have been pretty active about fixing the problems that are reported. Although by 'six months' you mean you've already reported the problem that long ago and it's still not fixed, I'm sorry to hear that. Anyways, now I'm largely just waiting for them to get a UniBin out. I, for one, am reallly glad Microsoft discontinued the pile of {censored} that is WMP9 for Mac and decided to support Flip4Mac instead. The app is so un-Maclike and clunky. Maybe a bit better compatibility, but not worth installing it. :P