Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

hey all,

I wonder if there is any chance to get Atheros Chip-Based Cards to work, since there is a new version of Orangewares universal-driver (3.2)

I cannot load it, it says something like 31com_orangeware_iokit_OMI_80211g is not copatible bla bla bla..

Btw: I get the same error, when trying to load 10.4.4 Network Drivers in 10.4.3 (Broadcom for example).

Max

Look at this:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-02-10/#5116

It seems that I am not the only one; and the problem might find its root in the iMacIntel hardware leading to a rather poor Airport compatibility. Apple has changed the chip managing the wireless connections (from Broadcomm to Atheros), and the new chip is not working properly in the iMacIntel and as a consequence the data transfer speed drops down.

So where are those Atheros drivers if Apple is shipping iMac core duo with Atheros WiFi cards.

Atheros Drivers are included in the 10.4.5 update.

They are in the IO80211Family.kext.

I installed that and IONetworkingFamily.kext and my netgear card is now functional.

I just did the same after retrieving the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the installer package with Pacifist. It works great with my internal Atheros A/B/G card in my 3 years old Toshiba notebook.

Forgot to say that my card is: VID=168C PID=0013 and there was no need to edit the Info.pList

Fernando

I just did the same after retrieving the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the installer package with Pacifist. It works great with my internal Atheros A/B/G card in my 3 years old Toshiba notebook.

Forgot to say that my card is: VID=168C PID=0013 and there was no need to edit the Info.pList

Fernando

Thanks for the heads-up!

Works on my Toshiba also! The 10.5.5 was probably the finishing touches for the MacBook pro.

No device ID editing on mine needed also.

I just tried drivers from 10.4.5 update... I copied both IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext and then no network connection was working... then I tried replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext with "Yukon" version found on this forum and now Atheros card is detected, but Ethernet connection still says "no cable pluged in"...

Could somebody send me working IONetworkingFamily.kext with Intel Ethernet support?

mail: jozko.petarda@gmail.com

thanks...

Are those .kext files backwards compatible to earlier releases?

yes, I'm running them on 10.4.3.

All of the dependancies are listed within the kexts. Luckily there is not a slew of nested dependancies.

rc

rayc: Which Atheros chipset is your Netgear card using?

Not sure specifically but it is the Netgear WG311T card.

I had the pics from the FCC that show the chip ID but i cannot find them at this time.. the PCI vendor/dev id is: 168c,13

Not sure specifically but it is the Netgear WG311T card.

I had the pics from the FCC that show the chip ID but i cannot find them at this time.. the PCI vendor/dev id is: 168c,13

Great! The internal Atheros wifi card on my X31 has the same ven/dev id!

Well last night i found those drivers inside the Macos Update and i Try to load it on

my 10.4.3. But What i obtain is an error in my IONetoworkFamily, the system get me an

error message. This morning i restore my old IONETworkFamily kext file and my ethernet

card work again.

I´m noob in the macos, not linux, can anyone explain how can i install those driver

for my atheros card in my system.

Thanx in advance.

Well last night i found those drivers inside the Macos Update and i Try to load it on

my 10.4.3. But What i obtain is an error in my IONetoworkFamily, the system get me an

error message. This morning i restore my old IONETworkFamily kext file and my ethernet

card work again.

I´m noob in the macos, not linux, can anyone explain how can i install those driver

for my atheros card in my system.

Thanx in advance.

Could you be more specific about the error? Did you repair the permissions after copying the 10.4.5 extension to you /System/Library/Extensions folder?

Fernando

I installed the atheros drivers(IO80211.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext) onto my mac and it doesn't even detect the wireless card. Did i do something wrong?

LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter

Vendor ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

Edit: Forgot to mention i'm on 8F1111A and i used the same 10.4.5 drivers.

I installed the atheros drivers(IO80211.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext) onto my mac and it doesn't even detect the wireless card. Did i do something wrong?

LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter

Vendor ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

Edit: Forgot to mention i'm on 8F1111A and i used the same 10.4.5 drivers.

I assume you did fix the ownership and the permissions of the .kext right? Perhaps you could try to boot into windows first with wireless enabled and the restart into osx. Perhaps your card needs some strange powerup sequence only available in windows. Laptops do have some problems like these. For instance, my bluetooth module is only detected by osx if I boot into windows first. A cold start into osx will not work.

By the way, I didn't install the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.5. Still using the 10.4.3 one.

Fernando

Works fine here on an Atheros 5005GS mini PCI (168c 0013). Can't get any form of encryption working though, so can only connect to open networks. Maybe 10.4.4/5 fixes that.

I had to change it from en0 to en1 as my onboard network adapter isn't supported so the wireless is automatically set to en0 and OS X needs Airport cards to be en1:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=40054 (thanks ohpossum)

i cant find it either. i extract the "archive" file in the package, but i couldnt find any IO80211Family.kext in the extensions folder. i tried both the delta and the combo, and nothing. is the update supposed to be "MacOSXUpd10.4.5PPC.dmg"? i think its wrong because it has ppc in the name but thats the only one available for download.

i cant find it either. i extract the "archive" file in the package, but i couldnt find any IO80211Family.kext in the extensions folder. i tried both the delta and the combo, and nothing. is the update supposed to be "MacOSXUpd10.4.5PPC.dmg"? i think its wrong because it has ppc in the name but thats the only one available for download.

That's the same file I am searching in as well (the combo), and although there are quite a few .kext files in there, IO80211Family.kext is not among them.