Life, The Universe, And Everything (Else)

Sabr

356 posts in this topic

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Here's a report I had to do on Dark Matter!

Mark R...

12-20-10

7th Hour

Dark Matter

Dark Matter, first proposed by Fritz Zwicky as the missing mass problem, explains the lack of missing mass in galaxies, and other astronomical bodies. It holds together the various things of the universe, and keeps them from flying apart. Regular matter that you can see, and possibly touch, such as me and you, and stars etc, account for only 4% of the universe! Then there is Dark Matter, which accounts for about 26% of the universe, and finally, Dark Energy, which accounts 70%, and tends increase the expansion of universe. If you take a look at the way galaxies are placed, you can see that something spaces them out, this is Dark Matter.There’s about 400 times the amount of visible mass in bodies in the universe, Fritz Zwicky found this. Dark Matter can be broken down into 2 catergories, Non-Baryonic Dark Matter, and Baryonic Dark Matter. Baryonic Dark Matter is Dark Matter, that is made of regular matter, but reflects no light, and emits little or no electromagnetic radiation. A Black Hole is a prime example of Dark Matter. It’s gravity is so strong, that light can’t escape it’s pull, and it emits a form of radiation discovered by Stephen Hawking, called Hawking Radiation. The neutrino particle is also a proposed for of Dark Matter. Non-Baryonic Dark Matter refers to particles, like neutrinos, and how fast they move. There is hot, cold and warm Non-Baryonic Dark Matter. Hot Non-Baryonic Dark Matter has near zero mass, and moves near the speed of light. Cold, has a very large mass, and moves slowly. Whilst warm moves in between the speed of cold and hot. And the mass is in between. I think that Dark Matter, is a fantastic theory, in the evolution of the universe, even though some theories like the string theory can describe entire universe without it. I also happen to think that Dark Energy, is a property of Dark matter. The Dark Matter, spreads out all over the universe, and if Dark Energy was property of it would allow the expansion, for more Dark Matter to continue to spread. This would coincide with a few theories such as the Big Crunch.

"Chandra :: Field Guide to X-ray Astronomy :: Dark Matter Mystery." The Chandra X-ray Observatory Center :: Gateway to the Universe of X-ray Astronomy! Web. 20 Dec. 2010. <http://www.chandra.harvard.edu/xray_astro/dark_matter/index.html