Number 1 Windows Programs for a Mac User

djet

34 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Have you tried Unison [http://www.panic.com/unison/] ? I haven't run across a single problem with it in the last 2-3 years (whenever it was initially released).

I was in the same boat when I switched to OS X. I had grown very used to Newsleecher, QuickPar, and Winrar. I tried for a long time to get these programs to run in some capacity on OS X using VMware Fusion. After a while I gave up and started using Unison and Macpar deLuxe. I hated them both, but after a little while (a few weeks, i think?) I love them both and I have a hard time using Newsleecher on Windows now.

i'm in the exact same situation, all the usenet programs for mac, suck compared to this one!

If you feel that way, then you've not used Unison from panic software. It is the best - bar none - usenet reader I've ever used. I was a die hard newsbin user before I moved to Macs, but sinece the first time I used Unison, I've never looked back...

• 1 month later...

I mainly use Windows in my VMWare for Mediator usage for school work (Stupid DiDA). Also use it to proof check that there are no formatting errors in my Office 08 docs in Office 03 for school :D

I use utorrent in Parallels Desktop, simply because I like to continue my downloads from whatever OS I decide to dual-boot into. utorrent allows you to place your settings inside the folder of utorrent, meaning that whatever windows version I might have booted into, it's still just a matter of double-clicking utorrent to start up my same downloads with the same settings.

Grabit for usenet, Photo Impact for quick image editing and {censored} loads of audio production tools which aren't available for Mac, and sometimes for video playback if the codec isn't working on Leo. Other than those mentioned I have no need for windows, I don't game.

• 2 weeks later...