Number 1 Windows Programs for a Mac User

djet

34 posts in this topic

I just recently got Windows setup with BootCamp on my Macbook. I mean I've always been browsing through the internet then see a program and say,"Dang, I wish I had Windows so I could use that...." Well now that I do I can't think of anyone to get and the idea popped into my head to make a discussion. So....

This isn't me asking for help. I'm making a discussion. What do you guys think are some good Windows programs that every person using Mac-user that has installed Windows should have?

The only two reasons I have Windows installed are Office and Visual Studio. I like the new equation editor in Word 2007, I can't believe they left it out of '08. And I need Visual Studio for a class I'm taking right now. The only other thing I sorta miss when I go back to OSX is Photo Gallery. iPhoto needs a simple tagging feature, plzkthx!!

Well the only thing I'm using it for now is LOTRO......nuthin' else really. Although, installing it has really made me see the superiority of the Mac OS....I got about 20 system messages when I first booted about which hardware was connected, my computer security, windows tours......

Windows doesn't really have much that you can't get in OS X (with the exception of gaming I guess!)

For me the only real thing that keeps me in my XP install is Newsleecher for usenet. I wish there was something as good for the mac, but nothing yet!

"I like the new equation editor in Word 2007, I can't believe they left it out of '08"

IN MACOFFICE 2008, ITS IN THERE!!

SticMAN

The only two reasons I have Windows installed are Office and Visual Studio. I like the new equation editor in Word 2007, I can't believe they left it out of '08. And I need Visual Studio for a class I'm taking right now. The only other thing I sorta miss when I go back to OSX is Photo Gallery. iPhoto needs a simple tagging feature, plzkthx!!

What I'd like to see in OS X is Windows Explorer. I love how you can easily merge folder contents, where as in Finder it simply replaces the destination folder with the source folder, unless Path Finder can do this, but I can't remember.

Duplicate message, contact, calendar event remover for Mail, Address Book and iCal (in that order) I'd love to get my hands on something that can get rid of duplicate emails, duplicate contacts and calendar events.

Office and Visual Studio most definitely, though I will admit that Office 2004 for Mac is pretty solid software. And while Synergy is also available for the Mac platform, its far from complete compared to the Windows and Linux port.

Simple fact is most people just dont want to do without, people buy a full office suit just to write a few letters for god sake. Great apps out there and do the same thing, just people dont want to use them.

If OS X dont have their favorite app then they would rather go back to Windows even though OS X has a app that does just as good job, it's just like Linux. It's a case of OMG Linux doesn't have Photoshop, I can't use GIMP to crop photo's.

Windows doesn't really have much that you can't get in OS X (with the exception of gaming I guess!)

For me the only real thing that keeps me in my XP install is Newsleecher for usenet. I wish there was something as good for the mac, but nothing yet!

i'm in the exact same situation, all the usenet programs for mac, suck compared to this one!

Simple fact is most people just dont want to do without, people buy a full office suit just to write a few letters for god sake. Great apps out there and do the same thing, just people dont want to use them.

If OS X dont have their favorite app then they would rather go back to Windows even though OS X has a app that does just as good job, it's just like Linux. It's a case of OMG Linux doesn't have Photoshop, I can't use GIMP to crop photo's.

Ever heard of familiarity? Some people aren't that adventurous and would rather stick to something they know rather than muck around trying to learn something that may seem similar but isn't. GIMP is nice and all, but I prefer Photoshop any day.

"I like the new equation editor in Word 2007, I can't believe they left it out of '08"

Equation Editor was acually made for MS by a company called Design Science. They actually make some similar stand alone software that's more current (MathML). They said MS hasn't contacted them about updating equation editor. I think in most versions of MS Office you need to do a custom install to make sure its loaded.

I remember in college students would write papers in Mathematica...

I've been using a Windows program called PowerGREP for converting XML files using regular expressions. It is possible to use the new Text Factory feature of BBEdit to do the same thing, but without the nice debugging features and control.

My Other Required Windows stuff:

GoogleTalk (Adium only supports chat)

MS Publisher (clients send us these occasionally)

Window Media Player (I hate iToons/Quicktime)

Ever heard of familiarity? Some people aren't that adventurous and would rather stick to something they know rather than muck around trying to learn something that may seem similar but isn't. GIMP is nice and all, but I prefer Photoshop any day.

Would you prefer it just for cropping photo's or pay out on Photoshop purely because you know it?

"It's a case of OMG Linux doesn't have Photoshop, I can't use GIMP to crop photo's."

Yes you can, its in the Image menu in the picture's window. Also, Wine can be used to run the Windows version of Photoshop 7 perfectly (newer versions either have problems or don't work at all).

Yes you can, its in the Image menu in the picture's window. Also, Wine can be used to run the Windows version of Photoshop 7 perfectly (newer versions either have problems or don't work at all).

I know it is, thats not the point, the point being people won't use something that can do the same job, It has to be Photoshop or Nero etc.. or will have to use Windows.

Well the only factor that gives me an inkling of enjoyment with WIndows is the customization for the interface and stuff. Just got a black theme for my black macbook.....looks sorta like the start menu blends in the case. Other than that, the 30 million IE popups I get from using Firefox and the error messages that flood my screen at startup are hindering my enjoyment :P

Another error that I'm getting is that I can only open folders after I relogin to Windows..... sorta bizarre.

I say, office. Media player, IE, they both suck. Horribly. Office is pretty good though. Now game wise, Halo will always be there for me. :(

I have never checked to see if there was one for Mac, but if there is an MSN messenger for Mac, a lot of people I know use either MSN or AIM.

IN MACOFFICE 2008, ITS IN THERE!!

SticMAN

I know '08 has an equation editor, but the one in Office '07 is completely different. I get my reports done twice as fast in '07 as I can in '08.

after being an avid newsleecher guy, i've switched over to sabnzbd. works on pretty much anything with an internet connection and is pretty easy to manage once you get the hang of it.

as far as essential windows programs, the only two that i am really missing right now are orb and tivoserver. almost everything else i use either has a mac equivalent or is open source/cross platform

DC++ for Windows is better than any DC client I've seen for OS X

uTorrent is also another great app

Ofcourse there are 3 applications on OS X that are to die for namely:

1) Quicksilver (What makes me even boot into OS X)

2) Growl (and plugins)

3) Adium

Photoshop costs money?

Aye :(

You keep your software "collection" to yourself now okay? That is unless you live in Canada (pay your taxes and pirate!) :D

Not true, I know for sure Photoshop CS2 runs perfectly fine with wine...

Unfortunately, I have to say Internet Explorer.

Strictly for professional reasons. My job requires the use of an industry specific, proprietary, piece of web based software that will only run in IE.