Fully working 10.5.2 AppleSMBIOS and Source finally available!

mac.nub

150 posts in this topic

Hi mac.nub,

almost perfect but SystemProfiler says bus speed is 100 MHz instead of 166 MHz (I have CD T2300). Is there any fix for this?

Regards,

Mariusz.

Sounds like a kernel issue to me, it reports correctly on my PC/Laptop/other people's Hackintosh's. Only way to change it would be to hardcode it. Try Revision 3, I just uploaded it to my website.

Confirmed, DVD Player issue is fixed now :D A happy camper over here, thanks a lot for your support mac.nub, and great job!

Glad to hear :) and np.

Thanks!

RAM info is now working, but "About This Mac" stopped working with this one (and the one before the DVD Plaer fix)

netkas' 27 is working perfectly (except for the RAM info)

Any idea what caused this ?

Honestly no, as configuration differs from system to system there's no way of telling. All I can suggest is trying Revision 3.

Not good, insistent behavior is never a fun issue to track down. :)

Nope, it never is... I think it's most likely that it was using a cached file which mucked things up when re-compiling. I've cleared it at each new compile and haven't seen that problem on either of my systems.

First post updated, check it out for more info!

Enjoy,

~mac.nub

Sounds like a kernel issue to me, it reports correctly on my PC/Laptop/other people's Hackintosh's. Only way to change it would be to hardcode it. Try Revision 3, I just uploaded it to my website.

First post updated, check it out for more info!

Enjoy,

~mac.nub

Hi mac.nub,

just tried default and still no go, bus reported as 100Mhz

p.s.

memory speed is OK.

Regards,

Mariusz.

Nope, it never is... I think it's most likely that it was using a cached file which mucked things up when re-compiling. I've cleared it at each new compile and haven't seen that problem on either of my systems.

It just reverted to the problem after a few reboots.

I think you are right in that it is a caching problem of some sort as I have an unusual inconsistency with HDA Patcher also.

I might start with a clean install and if it still exists bunker down and try to real figure out what's going on.

Reboot/Shutdown after waking up from sleep still won't work with that SMBIOS, nor netkas' (doesn't seem to be affecting ATI users).

I can only do this using Vanilla applesmbios but now it reports wrong CPU speed, etc...

Any idea mac nub ? I'm beginning to think detecting the proper cpu frequency doesn't make the CPU to halt properly !

in mine everything is working well, but during the boot my time is bigger than ever, and for few seconds the dmesg says still waiting for root device..sleep is working but something is not so correct..thanks anyways.

I've the same problem!

thanks so much mac.nub! i was just thinking about system profiler information the other day, and then this comes along :(

For some reason your applesmbios doesn't detect my memory speed correctly, while netkas' one does. I want my laptop to show up as a macbook/macbookpro, so I can't use your hardcoded 667mhz one. I've been looking at your source code and have changed it so my computer shows up as a macbook pro, but can't figure out how to hardcode 667mhz. Would you be able to share the changes you made to hardcode various memory speeds?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out myself! Haha that made my day

Thanks once again, I prefer your AppleSMBIOS over netkas' as with his if I use stock kernel screenlock and screensaver password don't work

With version 1.0.12 I am able to shutdown but not wake from sleep. With 1.0.13 the shutdown does not complete and I can't wake from sleep. I have the Abit IP35. Can AppleSMBios.kext have this level of control over sleep/wakeup/shutdown. Where can I get previous versions to try?

With version 1.0.12 I am able to shutdown but not wake from sleep. With 1.0.13 the shutdown does not complete and I can't wake from sleep. I have the Abit IP35. Can AppleSMBios.kext have this level of control over sleep/wakeup/shutdown. Where can I get previous versions to try?

almost the same, with sleep working the percentage of shutdown completed is around 50% as previous mentioned on this forum with motherboard ds4, but I must notice that this mboard is delicate(under osx..) when you change bios settings even.

For example with vcore voltage but default , I lost the sleep function even with the smbios good one.

keep yours experiences updated!

Hi mac.nub,

just tried default and still no go, bus reported as 100Mhz

p.s.

memory speed is OK.

Regards,

Mariusz.

To do that FSB speed would have to be hardcoded, if you really want that done drop me an email via my site. Either that or just use the source I posted and modify it yourself.

Reboot/Shutdown after waking up from sleep still won't work with that SMBIOS, nor netkas' (doesn't seem to be affecting ATI users).

I can only do this using Vanilla applesmbios but now it reports wrong CPU speed, etc...

Any idea mac nub ? I'm beginning to think detecting the proper cpu frequency doesn't make the CPU to halt properly !

As far as i'm aware this is an issue caused by the new AppleACPIPlatform.kext, as if you use the old one it still seems to work fine... unfortunately as the source for that is not released, no one as of yet has managed to fix it. Various people including myself are looking into it however.

in mine everything is working well, but during the boot my time is bigger than ever, and for few seconds the dmesg says still waiting for root device..sleep is working but something is not so correct..thanks anyways.

Have you tried booting with -f after changing the kext? If not you'll likely be using an old cached version. The speed of boot has never changed for me with different SMBIOS versions, so this behavior is rather odd.

With V2 still have reading memory speed on my AMD Desktop.

Use one of the versions with Memory Speed hardcoded... that's the whole point of them. Either that or use the source and fix it yourself.

Can be fixed the shutdown problem with applesmbios .. so far .. no luck for me, or for others .. it will be fantastic to be finally solved this problem !

Not as far as I am aware, as I said in one of the posts above I believe this to be a AppleACPIPlatform.kext issue.

Shutdown is fine on my laptop, which uses the same mobo as an older MacBook. However it does not work properly on my PC.

1333Mhz DDR3 AppleSMBIOS added as per request.

Edit: A kernel based-shutdown fix is soon to be tested... kernel is being compiled now.

~mac.nub

...Have you tried booting with -f after changing the kext? If not you'll likely be using an old cached version. The speed of boot has never changed for me with different SMBIOS versions, so this behavior is rather odd.

Even If I used to clear Extension.mkext??

p.s. Hi iGuru :-)

Even If I used to clear Extension.mkext??

p.s. Hi iGuru :-)

When i've been testing them, i've done the following:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I then boot with -f

And hey FavleX :( how come you haven't been on IRC recently?

mac.nub, this is surely related to AppleSMBIOS and NOT appleacpiplatform, at least for me, because even before with the patched acpiplatform, it wouldn't change anything. The only thing that fixes my bug is by putting vanilla applesmbios. Neither yours or netkas' provides reboot/shutdown AFTER waking from sleep.

So yeah, there is something you changed in your SMBIOS that corrupts this... Maybe reporting CPU frequency ? I dunno, that's why we need to do lots of tests :blink:

Believe me, it really is to do with AppleACPIPlatform.kext and not the AppleSMBIOS... use the 1.0.5 AppleACPIPlatform and shutdown, reboot etc. will be fine. Also Netkas is currently seeing if he can patch AppleACPIPlatform.kext to fix it... unfortunately the "kernel fix" we tried didn't work. Anyhow, i'm not going to be answering any more questions about the shutdown problems, as it is nothing to do with this topic. Only one CPU thing has been changed from the default source, putting it back how it was makes no difference.

~mac.nub

Thanks man, version 2.7 works just fine for me and reports memory speed correct ;)

Just one thing: since I replaced the SMBios my system profiler crashes (i can´t yet remember having changed smth. else ...). Is there a way to fix that ????

I still didn't try AppleACPI since I'm still looking for it (dl/ing every combo update from apple.com :() but can you restart/shutdown AFTER waking up from SLEEP? This is my point. Because as long as I don't sleep my computer, restart/shutdown works. It's just AFTER waking up from sleep.

And this only works with vanilla SMBIOS.

EDIT : Obviously this file is from 10.4.8. I'm gonna try it in a few minutes so we'll know whether or not i'm wrong.

EDIT 2 : I just tried it, it doesn't work. With 1.0.5 AppleACPIPlatform. I put back VANILLA AppleSMBIOS, and I can now reboot/shutdown after waking up from sleep. So sorry, but I guess you are wrong and I'm right.

I still didn't try AppleACPI since I'm still looking for it (dl/ing every combo update from apple.com ;)) but can you restart/shutdown AFTER waking up from SLEEP? This is my point. Because as long as I don't sleep my computer, restart/shutdown works. It's just AFTER waking up from sleep.

And this only works with vanilla SMBIOS.

EDIT : Obviously this file is from 10.4.8. I'm gonna try it in a few minutes so we'll know whether or not i'm wrong.

EDIT 2 : I just tried it, it doesn't work. With 1.0.5 AppleACPIPlatform. I put back VANILLA AppleSMBIOS, and I can now reboot/shutdown after waking up from sleep. So sorry, but I guess you are wrong and I'm right.

The fact is that it is solved by using the old AppleACPIPlatform on most systems. In the event that it does have that effect on your computer, it is a fluke exception to the rule. As is my laptop, which has none of these problems what so ever, even with the new AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleSMBIOS.

Sleep has never worked on my PC, nor my laptop. It now does sometimes on my PC with this AppleSMBIOS for some reason.

Now could I please suggest we stop this pointless bickering? It's just cluttering up my topic and is completely un-needed.

~mac.nub

Not to worry, I deleted my posts myself.

Sorry for trying to reports bugs, I won't report anymore.

EDIT : my bug is on the PC I can sleep which is the Core2Duo + 8800GT + P5K. I can't even sleep on the other one thanks to the X1600 I guess, but that's another story :D

Not to worry, I deleted my posts myself.

Sorry for trying to reports bugs, I won't report anymore.

As did I.

You don't even mention which system you have the problems on. Unfortunately I'm not psychic and therefore can't know which it is without being told. I have looked into your bug, and have as you say not been able to reproduce it as I don't have your specific system setup. If a fix is found for the bug it will of course be released. As of yet there is none, and therefore no point in going on about it over and over. You've let me know what your problem is, and I will continue to look into it.

~mac.nub

ehy..EHHHYYY!!

The issue is very interesting I see, someone''s got nervous in no time:this is good I think, 'cause it does mean these people are involved at high level..ih,ih :D

ok, I report mine experience hoping it won't completely useless.

I reinstalled the 10.5.2 update, and I leave the smbios and acpi kexts in vanilla flavour.The system booted well, but system profiler did'nt show the info about hardware processor.

Then I fill the extension with the recommended smbios supplied from iGuru(alias mac.nub)now my profiler say I got a P35-DS4,the ram is well recognised I go sleep and wake up without screenlock, but I think this is related something else.

p.s. why I have on dmesg ..localApicId=3 and 4 disabled instead enabled like 0 and 1 ?

ok, I report mine experience hoping it won't completely useless.

I reinstalled the 10.5.2 update, and I leave the smbios and acpi kexts in vanilla flavour.The system booted well, but system profiler did'nt show the info about hardware processor.

Then I fill the extension with the recommended smbios supplied from iGuru(alias mac.nub)now my profiler say I got a P35-DS4,the ram is well recognised I go sleep and wake up without screenlock, but I think this is related something else.

p.s. why I have on dmesg ..localApicId=3 and 4 disabled instead enabled like 0 and 1 ?

In your case 3 and 4 aren't real CPUs. I believe they are the HyperThreading features of the CPU which for whatever reason are put there if I recall correctly. It's nothing to worry about in any case. On my PC for example it says exactly the same for 2 and 3.

~mac.nub