New "true" video ipod

Ouch

49 posts in this topic

If I'm reading the rumors correctly, the click control will be "virtual" and activated by touching the video screen? A great design idea in theory … but the reality is that my iPod as it is gets dirty enough through active use. Touching the screen with my not-always-clean fingers isn't gonna help matters (imagine watching Lost on a TV screen full of smudge marks).

I can see the lawsuits already: "Apple is being sued for not giving enough warning to users to not eat greasy foods while using their new iPods…"

Seems interesting...even though it's only rumour.

I'm not sure how this will succeed in the market exactly. I mean, It'll obviously have that "new" iPod appeal that made everyone run out and buy a Nano/Video. But going to a specific video-format might not be a good idea. I've never really understood the appeal of portable video players. Music is easy to take portably, since it doesn't consume all of your attention span, but Video requires your full attention; not something you can necessarilly use while jogging :graduated:

Still...I'm sure consumers will gobble it up. Seeing the success of the Video iPods, and the amount of video downloads iTunes has logged already, It'll probably perform rather strongly. It'll be interesting to see the design that Apple comes up with, and whatever other new bells and whistles they'll add.

I can sort of see that giant screen cracking in half. You reach into your pocket and feel an oozy mess only to see you have liquid crystal everywhere.

I'm sort of envious of the wireless thing, but I have a feeling that wireless technology won't be so popular in the future for security reasons. Aside from that, I'm nowhere near getting my house to run on a wi-fi network.

I'll stick with the 5th gen. It has a sleek design that will look great for years. I personally always thought the old iPods were ugly and couldn't see why anybody would pay so much to buy one. But the 5th gen changed my mind.

The screen should be alright as long as apple get a strong enough plastic to build the case out off - it may flex a little but most lcd's can cope with that. But fotpunk has a point, i don't like the idea of covering my screen in greasy fingerprints all the time - and if its touch sensitive and you go to wipe it mid-movie then you'd probaby end up scrubbing through have the movie.

If the 6th gen iPods have anti-scratch anti-smudge, projection I would BURN with envy!!! On the other hand, if they aren't, I'm going to enjoy laughing my ass off as people experience the scratching/smuding problem... on 3x the surface area. XD

Hehe...so true. :D

I know that even putting my Mini in my pocket gets the screen all dirty and whatnot. So fingerprints and the sort would be hell, I'd imagine. I can see it now...the people who go to wipe smudges/food/lint off the screen, and end up blowing out their eardrums from accidently hitting the volume control. :)

The 6th gen will be apple's first foray into true video devices, right?

it sort of reminds me of pda screens. i have a zire72, and the screen is always getting smudged. and it also isn't that responsive to fingers, which i think is due to the screen design.

Personally, i wonder about the effectiveness of the virtural click wheel, and if it will be responsive enough for everyday use.

There are commercial grade touchscreens that are gunk proof. Not just grease, but biological and non-biological materials that one may get on one's hands doing various kinds of manual labor.

They also are anti-glare and smudge resistant.

But they make for a video viewing experience much like watching TV behind a pane of slightly frosted glass. Not crystal clear.

Consumer grade touch screens, like in a Nintendo DS, are not impervious. Sharp objects (the keys in your pocket), prolonged pressure (tight pocket), certain soaps and clensers, and some good ol fashioned grease or skin oils/acids can all degrade the quality of the screen as well as funk up the touchscreen accuracy.

Moving your finger in a circle against a touch screen isn't a very natural action for most people... it could cause some people repetitive stress depending on how they approach doing it.

Sliding a finger left or right, or tapping soft buttons is a much more logical way to do a touch screen consumer product.

You sure this isn't the Knowledge Browser redux?

ithink a touch display is stupid because it renders all screen protection (cases, enclosures, adhesives) unusable. I think the 'true ipod video' will be something like this mockup (except with the click wheel centered): normal_eyePod.jpg

this is not a 'patent' this is a 'patent application' which anyone can apply for. this could be a way for Apple to cause rumours and hype that is untrue. untrue rumours seem to help Apple btw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

dunno my xda just doesnt get smudged. And scratch protection, tdk or pioneer made scratch proof polymer like 6 months back. they could use that

i think not only would this be a great competitor to sony's psp (which is what this video war will be fought against), but an entry into the PDA market.

Allow me to elaborate:

Sony will soon bundle UMDs with DVDs, for about 29$ USD.

For those with PSPs, this will no doubt be a big incentive, and we're bound to see more people adopting it's video capabilities.

Apple is currently the portable music king: incorporating video with the iPod will get ppl to use the feature because of the sheer number of ppl who will buy it. Making a true video iPod will allow the gap between iPod and PSP to grow smaller, and with their current market share, Apple's chances of coming out on top are pretty good!

Plus, due to the hard drive, you would be able to just rip a DVD to the iPod (i do it all the time: and this technically puts the movie price for an iPod at about 15$ USD vs 30$ for a PSP movie).

It's a very smart buisness decision, especially because sony hasn't even really begun it's video-PSP campaign yet.

And to those pissed about having bought a 5g ipod: i don't get why. I have one, and i love it, and i will still love it when it's replacement (assuming this new iPod merges right away with the main line) arrives. It's a great gadget, it works perfectly, and fullfills its main purpose amazingly: it is the iPod: the best music player on the market! (*sigh*...IMHO if it makes some of you feel better...)

edit: here's the reference, for anyone who cares:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=14604

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a picture like the last one on some site, but it was against a wood floor. But, if you take in the fact that most planks are like 2 inches or so, it made the screen look more like 4 inches by 8 inches, which is in tablet territory...

In that it's rectangular and has a display!? :)

I hope steve is planning to release a line of clothing at the same time with very big pockets - or an iBackpack! It has to be a tablet (if its legit at all)

I saw a picture like the last one on some site, but it was against a wood floor. But, if you take in the fact that most planks are like 2 inches or so, it made the screen look more like 4 inches by 8 inches, which is in tablet territory...

Do you mean this image?

ipodvideo.gif

As you can see, It's a fake.

On this image, in the tape under the bar code some people read M8719ZA, and others MB719ZA .

103357149_ebe5a6a8c71.jpg

M8719ZA is the SKU for OS X Server, so looks like a fake

but

MB719ZA is awful close to those on current iPods, now thats interesting!

It won't be a 6G ipod, it will be a independent line of iPods, THE "iPod Video". The 5G is too new, both have different market segments and target buyers, and probably the most important different manufacture costs.

This baby (It doesn't matter if this particular images are fake) would cost much more to make than the 5G, and there is no way they are going to sell them at the same(or similar)price than the 5G, neither replace the 5G with something much more expressive because people wouldn't buy it.

andazp posted:

"M8719ZA is the SKU for OS X Server, so looks like a fake

but

MB719ZA is awful close to those on current iPods, now thats interesting!"

Yeah man thats what i read on mac rumors, but im pretty sure its a B and not an 8, the left side of that character is just a little to flat for an 8.

It also kinda resembles this photo that was leaked right before the 5G came out.

http://guides.macrumors.com/images/6/6e/5G_ipod_leaked.jpg

If this is indeed an apple product, heck i think itd be pretty cool if it wasnt an ipod at all but rather some new and adventurous product