Gaming + Hackingtosh + 8800GTS

thenameisgabe

22 posts in this topic

I am running 10.5.2 on a hackingtosh with an 8800gts 320Mb installed. It works fine on the finder and I can set whatever resolution I want as well as dual monitor support, but I was wondering if this card is fully supported (I thought 10.5.2 would fix the problems).

I installed cod2 and it runs fine, but it tooks horrible even with all the settings maxed out. I read some posts about how some people were able to play this game successfully on their hackingtoshes.

Here is my system:

p5b-vm mobo

c2d 2.6ghz

4gb ram

8800gts

160gb SATA drv

Kalyway 10.5.1 + 10.5.2 Kalyway update.

Thanks

What drivers did you install, and are you using the graphics update from apple?

Maybe its just me being used to cod4 that makes me feel like cod2 is running like {censored}, but I think i remember it looking better than this on my PC. I'll try to post a screenshot, I just can't find the screenshot folder.

thanks

What drivers did you install, and are you using the graphics update from apple?

By driver I assume you mean enabler. (Since the driver is built into OS X)

I started using NVinject but I've switched to using an EFI gfx string.

Make sure the in game resolution matches the native resolution of your LCD.

The first time I started the game and the in-game resolution was lower, it didn't look as sharp as possible. (worse than most games when not at native resolution)

Here are the screens

What it looks like:

testing.jpg

What it should look like:

shot0008.jpg

Disregard the 1680x1050, I just found it on google.

Yea, I'm running it at 1440x900, so there shouldnt be any LCD antialiasing effects taking place. All my settings are on max. Does the gfx string work better? I am using nvinject.

Thanks,

Gabe

I'm I right in my suspicion that something isn't right? or is that how cod2 looks on yours too. I guess it doesn't have any OpenGL acceleration. Its a shame, I was looking forward to not having to restart when cod4 comes out in may.

Btw, the second screenshot was taken from an Imac running cod2 on osx.

Thanks

Here are the screens

What it looks like:

testing.jpg

What it should look like:

shot0008.jpg

Disregard the 1680x1050, I just found it on google.

Yea, I'm running it at 1440x900, so there shouldnt be any LCD antialiasing effects taking place. All my settings are on max. Does the gfx string work better? I am using nvinject.

Thanks,

Gabe

It seems the first screenshot you ve posted is from COD 1... The 2nd screenshot is COD 2!!!!

Anyway CoD2 is buggy on 8xxx, it's laggy. If you ever dl/ it, be sure to patch it using the last patch and disabling vsync.

But it's surely as nice as on 2nd screenshot !

It seems the first screenshot you ve posted is from COD 1... The 2nd screenshot is COD 2!!!!

Up at top in command prompt looks like 1.3 multi-player of CoD2.

Anyway CoD2 is buggy on 8xxx, it's laggy. If you ever dl/ it, be sure to patch it using the last patch and disabling vsync.

Vsync enabled here OK. (on 10.5.1)

thenameisgabe are you talking about the "fuzzyness" in the distance of the field in the first screenshot.

OpenGL acceleration works fine unless you don't have it enabled for some reason. What does Graphics section of System Profiler say?

Graphics Section from Profiler:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 320 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0193

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Yes, the fuzzy distance as well as the lack of texture detail. Like I said, all my settings are on high so I don't see why this is happening. I'm also getting 60-75FPS, but it still feels laggy.

Thanks for your help guys,

Gabe

Yes, the fuzzy distance as well as the lack of texture detail. Like I said, all my settings are on high so I don't see why this is happening. I'm also getting 60-75FPS, but it still feels laggy.

Thanks for your help guys,

Gabe

Are you using 10.5.2?

I just used Time Machine to recover my copy of CoD2 and lo and behold, laggy and graphic issues.

Was fine with 10.5.1. Gonna test with some other 3D games and see if its just this and/or a result of Graphics Update.

how about taking a screenshot at the same location so we can actually compare? in terms of graphics, it either works or it doesnt. you're getting what it would look like on a 'real' mac because osx is osx.

Well, I kind of can't take them on the same location because I can't replicate the second screenshot, I simply found it on a forum in which some guy posted the screenshots from his imac. But I think the difference is pretty evident, just look at the textures on the gun.

If cod2 is supposed to look better than that, then I guess there is something wrong with my setup, which is what I'm trying to figure out.

I am using the latest NVInject with the 10.5.2 kexts and graphics update. I tried the Quake 4 demo and it does look better, I still notice some frame skip but that could be caused by anything. CoD2 still looks crappy, hopefully aspyr will come out with a cod4 demo in the near future and I can test further.