VMware Fusion to boot my real Vista Disk

17 posts in this topic

ok so i started vmware fusion and there was a bootcamp station but i can't start it or modify the settings

i thought of creating a new station and add there my real disk/partition vista (disk3s1)

but all i could choose was a virtual disk

anyway with the virtual disk i can boot with a windows disk and reinstall xp or vista but i don;t need this

i need to boot my real windows disk

what is the trick?

maybe i have to set vista partition to active with terminal and when i finish reset back to active the osx?

with this the "bootcamp station" will boot vista?

if this is what should do someone please give me the typo for terminal

the version of fusion is 1.1 ,i don't remember now which build

Didn't do anything special, I just launched VMWare, it detected boot camp, and I ran it...

Maybe you need to refresh your Vmware settings : delete the folder /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Vmware Fusion

and retry

when it says bootcamp partition what does it mean?

the windows partition?

cause windows partition is in another disk ,not the one that has leopard

maybe your's is in the same disk?

for me leo is in disk1s2 and vista is in disk3s1

the error message in vmware fusion is this:

"Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine."

Your Vista Install was possibly not installed using Bootcamp.

For VMWare Fusion to use an existing Vista Install then that Vista needs to have been installed as a Bootcamp install from within OSX. This is not the same as having a machine Dual Boot without Bootcamp.

Hence you can either build a new Vista Installation with VMWare Fusion or Create a Bootcamp install of Vista, which would allow you to boot either Vista or OSX. VMWare Fusion can then take the bootcamp and use that as a VMWare Image.

Your Vista Install was possibly not installed using Bootcamp.

For VMWare Fusion to use an existing Vista Install then that Vista needs to have been installed as a Bootcamp install from within OSX. This is not the same as having a machine Dual Boot without Bootcamp.

Hence you can either build a new Vista Installation with VMWare Fusion or Create a Bootcamp install of Vista, which would allow you to boot either Vista or OSX. VMWare Fusion can then take the bootcamp and use that as a VMWare Image.

Incorrect. If you install Vista on a second drive (not a second partition) Fusion will work just fine. Bootcamp is not necessary. Fusion just sees your second drive as a bootcamp drive.

ok even worst..

i got an error message like this: "/Users/asa/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk4/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm" does not exist.

and then the bootcamp partition dissaperead from fusion

can you post the bootcamp virtual machine that there is inside vmware fusion folder?

i remember it was a folder like this : %dev%1disk2% (EDIT: now i realized that the name is up in my log! :blink: )

and inside there was a file vmware.bootcamp.partition.xxxx but mine was zero bytes (i tried to open with textedit but with no luck)

yours?

maybe i can open it with textedit and add my disk there

i remember doing this in windows when i used a long time ago vmware for installing maxuuss 10.4.1 fixed image (long time!)

i forgot to mention that i have 2 windows in 2 different disks

so i have 3 disks with 3 operating systems

1 for XP

1 for Vista (i don't use at all ,just for testing)

1 for Leopard

maybe fusion gets confused by this?

anyway if you can zip the bootcamp virtual station folder i can give a try

now it dissapeared

i installed xp in a virtual disk and everything is ok ,now i need to boot at my real disk

and something else.. why the fullscreen doesn't fit all the screen?

install vmware tools and put your VM at the same rez as your Mac, it will be fullscreen.

Uploading my files would be useless, they are HDD dependent.

Deleting the VMWare Fusion in Application Support WORKS for me so you definitly have a problem : I just redid it and it recreated those files.

But I need to launch VMware, quit & relaunch it again so it sees my hDD.

Didn't do anything special. Works for Vista 32bit and 64bit at least on my rig.

• 2 months later...

To use Windows instalation with VmWare Fusion, you have to unmount partition - it will not be visible from finder

Use Disk Utility, select windows partition and click unmout button to unmount partition from os x

Shanny

Once Fusion detect the Windows Partition as bootable you dont need to unmount it, it will unmount when you run the Virtual machine. Fusion takes care of the unmount.

Hi Macgirl,

I wonder if you can help me, I have been having problems with getting VMWare Fusion to boot my XP HDD.

At this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=57632&view=findpost&p=752235

I have stated my problem, any ideas how to fix this?

All the best

NSCXP2005

You can not run Fusion on Virtual Leopard because it needs QE/CI and Leopard does not have drivers for the emulated graphics card.

You can run Fusion on Tiger and it does not care if you don't have QE/CI, I don't know why is that, I was running fusion on Tiger on my Dell laptop, then when I upgraded to first Leopard my Fusion stop working because the lack of QE/CI, until I installed 10.5.2 I could use fusion again.

But what you want is very crazy, a VM inside a VM.

I had the same message but I restarted and everythings runs ok...

Vista 64 on bootcamp and works everything

I have Vista on other HDD

when it says bootcamp partition what does it mean?

the windows partition?

cause windows partition is in another disk ,not the one that has leopard

maybe your's is in the same disk?

for me leo is in disk1s2 and vista is in disk3s1

the error message in vmware fusion is this:

"Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine."

• 1 month later...

I've tried this with Vista before, but it always sort of corrupted my Vista installation because after a while, my Vista installation will be "deactivated" and Vista doesn't boot. Vista will give me an error at bootup saying that I have to activate Vista again and re-enter a new activation code... :wacko: Does this happen to others too?

• 1 month later...