failed to count the number of files in

Gianni Technique

14 posts in this topic

I'm getting this too on my Asus P5N-E SLI trying to boot the installer with Kalyway 10.5.1.

Have managed to sift through the "non-errors" (Firewire, CoreRAID etc) and have managed to push the boot sequence further than before. However, I now get this "failed to count files" thing five times in a row before the boot sequence hangs.

I realise this may be another "non-error", if so what part of the hardware is it having trouble with?

Once I have this installed I'm going to write a guide - doesn't look like anyone has managed it with my motherboard before so would be nice to confirm it works (ever the optimist :) )

Cheers!

Have since found that it's because the Kalyway disk will ALWAYS take the BSD to be disk1s2, even when I give it the "-rd=disk0s3" command. If anyone could tell me a way to force it to acknowledge this command I would be grateful.

The iAtkos disk recognises it, initialises the installer but hangs after you push "the button".

• 3 weeks later...
Feb 15 07:09:04 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter): Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No Such File or Directory

could somebody help me with this error?

I get this same error - I think it's a red herring.. using Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Boot disk - my system eventually boots. Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. But thought to let you know I get the same errors, even though my system boots...

Hi, just to add in, I too get alot of these "Failed to count the number of files in" errors but it does boot up eventully. And also are you booting from the DVD if so, you have to wait for it to finish loading. Mines takes abt 10 mins to load when booting from DVD. Very slow but thankfully I dun boot from the DVD often.

mine has the same problem it says:

Mar 28 06:08:23 Localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter): Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Librar

y/Startup Items": No such file or directory

Mar 28 06:08:23 Localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter): Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Librar

y/Startup Items": No such file or directory

unknown SIGSEGV code 0

but before that I get the BSD root: disk1s2, major 14 minor 4

someone please help ;)

*edit

lol , i Gave up on this i have just successfully installed JaS SSE2 SSE3 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 :) better than nothing if not leopard :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys.

I had a similar but not identical problem with "Failed to count files in /var/spool/postfix/maildrop"

The solution for me was to recreate the missing directory. Maybe this will work for you too.

Cheers,

Potenuse

• 3 months later...