8800GT Problems with 10.5.2 drivers.

bishopcop

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an 8800GT in my asrock mainboard. I managed to install Leopard without any difficulty but I cannot seem to install a proper driver for the 8800gt. I've tried all versions of the 10.5.2 kext installers with and without insterting the pcimatch string and various nvcap settings all with the same result: Leopard loads but the display freezez at either the grey screen (spinning logo), or in -v mode at the last message before the desktop loads. Leopard continues loading the os because I can see hd activity continue even after the freeze. So I am guessing it is some sort of display issue. Tried both DVI ports, DVI to VGA port converter to test the VGA, to see if it is an NVCAP issue, but no success. Maybe someone had a similar issue and can perhaps help in this situation.

just without any graphic support you should see

darwin loading with vesa 32mb, or so

and

have a low resolution screen coming up ( 1024 x 768) with the system

if not, i think its not a graphic problem, so boot in verbose -v mode and look for errors

( thats at least my experience)

if you are good in terminal and "programming" you could try the string theory from netkas.org

where you speak to your graficcard directly in the bootloader

Thanks for the reply. Without graphic drivers, it works fine, of course no acceleration. Usually I just delete the nvinject kext in safe mode do get back to vesa mode. In -v mode usually there are no errors with the graphic drivers, and leopard loads even without display so I am guessing there is a display (nvcap or something) issue perhaps.

what is this? : 8800GT with asus rom (for pci 1.1 support)

did you flash the card?

anyway is strange that you can't get 8800GT to work ,it's very easy at least after the 10.5.2 beta files appeared

i used to install it with a lot of tricks but now the installed that somebody else suggested can give you qe/ci also

Yes, I had to also flash the vga bios for the pci 1 support. I just used an asus 8800gt bios. I gathered that the display problem with the card must be a motherboard issue, some memory mapping problem perhaps. I used to have a 7900GS as well and that worked beautifully with 10.4.9. At the moment I am stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this....

I have the identical issue on an ASUS 8800GT (Starting up and staying at the Grey apple screen, but not locked up. Didn't notice any magic info in logs)

Maybe it is the ASUS rom...which of course I have without flashing because it is an ASUS card to start with...

I'll post device IDs when I get home, but sounds like that might be a dead end.

(shrug)

Kayway 10.5.1 (virginized) with Kalyway 10.5.2 patch. MBR partitioned. Badaxe2 MB and Core 2 Quad Core with 2 GB RAM.

UPDATE:

I played around with strings in the EFI realm and....same problem.

It sat at the Grey screen, wheel stopped spinning but there was still HDD activity...odd.

I got distracted on a reboot, walked away for a bit...came back about 10 mins later and guess what????

magical desktop!

Turns out it just sort of "hangs" for 2+ minutes....but eventually it will work! Full resolution control, QE and CI...all yummy and good.

So now to find out what it is sticking on.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone found a solution to the slow boot problem? I'm running 10.5.4 via ~pcwiz's guide here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121849 on a GA-EP35-DS3L with a Xeon 3110@2.83GHz with an EVGA 8800GT 512MB and used agrafuese's guide here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...91755&st=20 to get my 8800GT working, but I have the same problem as everyone else -- the machine loads to a certain point, then hangs for almost exactly 2 minutes at the grey Apple logo screen. Once it's done hanging, I'm kicked into Leopard with full QE/CI and everything works great, scored 197 in Xbench (all tests).

This hang is annoying, but I think I can live with it :happymac: Wish there was a solution though!